Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I think it is called a maroon metallic in Italian parlance.

I love the car. Did most of the restoration. How much fun to have a Ferrari designed by Gandini (Countach,Muira,Espada,Jarama,————— . This one so enjoyable due to the non traditional colors and the dainty Euro bumpers. Love looking at it every time I walk into the shop.
34EFEAD0-656D-4EBD-A031-CE96C428BF30.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That's a nice one - I've always liked the subtle design of the GT4, and the original euro details. They look great in dark colors.

Here's Anthony Rimicci of Santos Alfa shop in LA... They also have an original GTA they track regularly...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Great video, and accurate. We have driven ours on 400 mile trips. The only thing you have to watch is anything in the trunk gets hot, as the exhaust is directly below.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Another productive two days in the shop thanks to the continued lockdown.

Yesterday after setting the caster and camber, I chased trying to get the toe-in correct for about 1.5 hours , trying to keep the wheel straight while getting the tie rods equal and the center link within the required link around 20 inches. Finally I gave up and texted my friend Roman Tucker. He called later and described the process, and it worked perfectly this morning.

Once you have the car stringed (which I already had), set the left front wheel to 1/16 toe (looking for a total of 1/8 inch). Then measure the length of the left ‘‘tis rod and adjust the right side to the same length. Then making sure you keep the steering wheel straight, adjust the right wheel to 1/16 inch toe in. Worked perfectly and all the steering links are the correct length.

After that I installed the seat belts, seats, the the inner and outer stainless trim on the door sills. I used the plastic rivets from Classic Alfa instead of the sheet metal screws that were there before. Much better look.

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I left out one key point. After you have set the right tie rod to the same length as the left, you make the final toe setting on the right wheel using the center link, all the while making sure the steering wheel stays in the straight ahead position. This what you end up with.
marc

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I will copy this info about tie rods and alignment - I'm about to get there on mine! Thanks!

In that group of photos, your seat backs look much deeper than my originals. I wonder if that's just age and flattening the padding...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I used new seat cushions from Classic Alfa as mine were so bad. Another issue is the covers were glued to the cushions, instead of tensioned and secured with springs and hog rings. turns out this was normal for the early cars.

So I had a local upholder shop redo the seats, and they determined gluing is the best for these particular seats.

I expect mine will settle and conform as they are used, but your
observations regarding the contour of the cushion are correct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Took the car out today for its first drive. Some issues but all solvable.

Biggest one was the u joints. Classic Alfa said all cars up to 68 use the smaller one , so that is what I ordered and installed. Mine is a 67, but needs the larger one. Was clear after a few miles that the driveshaft had issues. This was not apparent after initial assembly.

Correct ones are on the way. Lesson here is measure your existing u joints before you order your replacements.

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very nice to see another Duetto undergoing restoration. I have an identical model that was also just completed. I wish I had your skills and experience to do it myself, but lacking both, I had Alfa Performance Connection here in Orange County do it for me. I'm now attending to the detailing work, which I'm very good at what with my OCD personality. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
You are welcome. I enjoyed it. had to figure out how to use Zoom and load a PPT pres on an I pad, but it all worked.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts