Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was determined to restore the original equipment on my 67, but two pistons were pitted. Also, removing all 4 was very difficult. I thought the caliper lip must have been rusted, but it was not. Now to reinstall, I am having the devil of a time getting the pistons onto those swiveling rods. I assume the rods keep the pistons straight.
Two questions: how do you get the pistons back in?
A local machine shop fabricated two replacement pistons but of course they do not have the swiveling socket of the originals. Will the pistons jam if the rod just goes into a hole drilled in the bottom of the piston?

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
Bruce:

Well, I guess I gave you a bum steer when I suggested posting your question here in the Suspension & Brakes section, in addition to the Spider section. Looks like the folks here aren't familiar with this problem either. One problem is that many 105 owners (myself included) have replaced their Dunlop brakes with ATEs.

I still think that posting a photo might help to elicit more discussion. I also liked the suggestion of getting factory-original parts from Alfa Stop, though I understand that you have already invested in the custom pistons.

·
Premium Member
23,107 Posts
I rebuilt the front calipers on my 65 TI, which are Dunlop. Popped them out with air (across the garage, literally) and pressed them back in gently with a press. Worked fine. I bought new pistons from AlfaStop in UK, as mine were way too rusted to reuse. Installed new seals, honed by emory paper til I liked the fit of the pistons in the bores. Cylinders were good, pistons were not.
Andrew

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bruce,

Check this out: NEW stainless steel pistons for our old Dunlop calipers, only $43 each! NO MORE CHROME PITTING! (See piston design "G" for our Alfas)

https://etypeparts.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/19-64999888

My understanding is that the little centering PIN on the Dunlops can be eliminated with no effect. There are some nice, thorough threads on this topic here on the BB, too.

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts