Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Dunlop Rear Brakes

I had a little extra time this past week to work on the car. My wife was off visiting her sister in Alaska, so I actually had quite a bit of extra time to spend in the garage.

So, I decided to tackle the job of re-assembling the Dunlop rear brakes. I had kinda dreaded doing this since there are so many parts. But I had my photos from before I took them apart and since they were already cleaned up and ready to re-assemble, my only difficulty was going to be having parts left over when I thought I was done.

Originally, these parts were supposably zinc plated. Didn't do that, so now they're zinc-painted. I used the rattle can stuff from Eastwood called Clear Zinc.

I can see from these photos, I've put one of the pins in from the wrong side. So, I've got to go back and fix that.

That, and I've got to bend the new hard brake lines and replace those rusty springs. Thankfully, those springs are available from AlfaStop. That's where I purchased all of my Dunlop parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very nice job on the Dunlops! Despite the Rube Goldberg-esq design they’re really not to bad to maintain, and fortunately they work just fine. Of course spares are significantly more expensive than spares for the Ates, but at least they’re available. Good luck with the rest of your project!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Tony at AlfaStop sent me 2 pieces that I’ve unrolled and started bending into the shape of the original ones.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Looks good! Keep up the great work. I painted my 69 ate calipers with a ceramic rattle can paint, and it looks good and it should last... good luck

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They are a work of art, aren’t they?
Interesting that it was cheaper to make all these bits back then, including the cylinders, than to do hydraulic callipers.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Weight on Wheels!

After 4 days of automotive excess at Monterey, my eldest son and I were motivated to make some progress on the Duetto.

1) Fabricated a couple missing mounting tabs for mounting one of the asbestos heat shields for the exhaust.
Part of the frame rails that came off of s/n 437 didn't have the tabs.
Made the pieces and welded them on.

2) Completed the assembly of the front suspension.

3) Moved the Chassis Dolly out from under the car, and...

4) Its sitting on its own tires tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great to meet you at Concorso. Your work looks great! At the rate your going, I would expect to see you there next year. I love following your build and cant wait to see it in person.

David

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Front Bumper Alignment

****, these things are hard to install. I think the passenger side is good. A little tweaking of the upper driver's side bumper is needed.

Then, after a few more (countless) on/off cycles adding and removing shims, maybe the driver's side will be good too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
1600 Bosch Distributor

I had Glenn Ring restore my 1600's distributor.
Shipped it from Woodinville,WA to Massapequa Park, NY on Friday, restored and back to Woodinville in a total of 6 days.
Pretty impressive turnaround.

Here's the before and after photos:

Attachments

141 - 151 of 151 Posts