Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Dunlop Rear Brakes

I had a little extra time this past week to work on the car. My wife was off visiting her sister in Alaska, so I actually had quite a bit of extra time to spend in the garage.

So, I decided to tackle the job of re-assembling the Dunlop rear brakes. I had kinda dreaded doing this since there are so many parts. But I had my photos from before I took them apart and since they were already cleaned up and ready to re-assemble, my only difficulty was going to be having parts left over when I thought I was done.

Originally, these parts were supposably zinc plated. Didn't do that, so now they're zinc-painted. I used the rattle can stuff from Eastwood called Clear Zinc.

I can see from these photos, I've put one of the pins in from the wrong side. So, I've got to go back and fix that.

That, and I've got to bend the new hard brake lines and replace those rusty springs. Thankfully, those springs are available from AlfaStop. That's where I purchased all of my Dunlop parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Very nice job on the Dunlops! Despite the Rube Goldberg-esq design they’re really not to bad to maintain, and fortunately they work just fine. Of course spares are significantly more expensive than spares for the Ates, but at least they’re available. Good luck with the rest of your project!

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
I've got to bend the new hard brake lines and replace those rusty springs. Thankfully, those springs are available from AlfaStop.
And where did you source the new hard brake lines?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Tony at AlfaStop sent me 2 pieces that I’ve unrolled and started bending into the shape of the original ones.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Looks good! Keep up the great work. I painted my 69 ate calipers with a ceramic rattle can paint, and it looks good and it should last... good luck

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
They are a work of art, aren’t they?
Interesting that it was cheaper to make all these bits back then, including the cylinders, than to do hydraulic callipers.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Weight on Wheels!

After 4 days of automotive excess at Monterey, my eldest son and I were motivated to make some progress on the Duetto.

1) Fabricated a couple missing mounting tabs for mounting one of the asbestos heat shields for the exhaust.
Part of the frame rails that came off of s/n 437 didn't have the tabs.
Made the pieces and welded them on.

2) Completed the assembly of the front suspension.

3) Moved the Chassis Dolly out from under the car, and...

4) Its sitting on its own tires tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great to meet you at Concorso. Your work looks great! At the rate your going, I would expect to see you there next year. I love following your build and cant wait to see it in person.

David

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Front Bumper Alignment

****, these things are hard to install. I think the passenger side is good. A little tweaking of the upper driver's side bumper is needed.

Then, after a few more (countless) on/off cycles adding and removing shims, maybe the driver's side will be good too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
1600 Bosch Distributor

I had Glenn Ring restore my 1600's distributor.
Shipped it from Woodinville,WA to Massapequa Park, NY on Friday, restored and back to Woodinville in a total of 6 days.
Pretty impressive turnaround.

Here's the before and after photos:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Hand Throttle Cable Detail:

Here's the original end on the hand throttle cable (curtesy of Fred Schueddekopp's (justcallmefred) Duetto):

Mine was mangaled when I took my car apart years ago. Here's what it looks like installed today:

Turns out, it was actually quite easy to make a new cable.
Just used a 0.050" wire from the local hardware store and bent it to shape.
Slides right into the original cable's sleeve and the lever under the dash.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The top's on as of today!

It took over 5 hours along with expert assistance (I had an expert and was the assistant).

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
All very nice work.
Thanks. I couldn't have done it myself.
Fortunately, I had someone with expertise that was willing to come to my house for the install.
If anyone is in the Seattle area and looking for upholstery work, I can pass along his contact information.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You are doing a beautiful job on your restoration! Inspiration for us all! I noticed your unusual exterior door thumb button and pull handle, looks nice and different. Can you explain what you did? Thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
You are doing a beautiful job on your restoration! Inspiration for us all! I noticed your unusual exterior door thumb button and pull handle, looks nice and different. Can you explain what you did? Thanks, Chris
Thanks. Those are a set of GTA door handles that I installed several years ago before I started the restoration. Actually, I guess this was the start of the restoration.

Inevitably, whenever someone's at the house and I take them out to the garage to show them the car, they always comment on those door handles. Even if they know nothing about Alfas, Duettos, or GTAs.

I wasn't very good at photo documenting the process. But I do have the photos of the inner door mechanism that I took when studying if it was even possible to put these handles on a spider door.

This is the Inner Mechanism with the original Duetto Door Handle. The plunger on the original Door Handle pushes the mechanism horizontally to release the Door Catch and open the Door.

This is the GTA Door Handle. It's plunger completely misses the mechanism when its located on the door in a visually-appropriate location. Additionally, it's plunger moves inward at a downward angle. Not horizontally like the plunger on the original Door Handle.

This photo is an overlay of 2 photos - the inner door mechanism in the latched position, and in the unlatched position.
Drawn onto it, is the travel of the GTA Door Handle plunger and a sketch of a Lever Arm for translating the travel of the plunger into travel of the door mechanism.

I ended up moving the pivot point and adjusting lengths a little to get the actuation force similar to the force for actuating the stock door handle. But the final design is nearly the same.
The Lever Arm pivots on a shaft that I mounted along that flat shelf at the top of the photos.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts