Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Fabricating the missing Chassis Bump Stop

I gave up trying to find a replacement for the missing bump stop on the right side of the chassis.

Here's the part: Made from a combination of 1.5" tubing, and flat sheet metal. Forming a cone wasn't easy.

I took dimensions off the part on the left side. As you can see, there wasn't any bump stop on the right side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Velocewhippet,

This version of the vent controls has a detent "click" and the end of the range - correct? The version I had in my 68 car did not have this feature and was significantly more flimsy...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Velocewhippet,

This version of the vent controls has a detent "click" and the end of the range - correct? The version I had in my 68 car did not have this feature and was significantly more flimsy...
Yes, the version that I'm using (the one that came out of a 66 Duetto) has a definite "click" at both ends of the controller travel.
I prefer that one over the later design.

However, after my initial writeup of the later design, I did go back and inspected my 67 controller again. It looks like it does have an isolation plate between the 2 levers that should keep the adjustment of one lever from effecting the position of the other lever. But because of flexing of the sheet metal, the isolation plate wasn't anchored properly. So, it ended up not isolating the 2 levers from each other. That said, there still isn't any feature in the later design that would provide any tactile feel when you adjust the levers to the end of their range. So, I still think the early design operates better.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
So, I'm trying to get a correct Carpet set put together and I've read that the Hand Brake Boot was sewn onto the Carpet.

I've got 2 original Carpet sets and I can't see where the Boot was sewn onto it. Should I have the Boot sewn to the new Carpet?

These first 2 pictures are the underside of the original Carpets.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the bump stop if you still have them? I’m about to try to fabricate a replacement for the missing right hand one on my Duetto and don’t quite trust the measurements I’ve taken from the left side.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the bump stop if you still have them? I’m about to try to fabricate a replacement for the missing right hand one on my Duetto and don’t quite trust the measurements I’ve taken from the left side.

Thanks,
Alex
No problem.
This is the quick sketch I put together when I measured the one remaining bump stop I had.
I didn't include the dimension of the flange at the top, but it was probably about 5 inches in diameter.

Don't make the diameter of the cone any larger than 3.75 inches at the top. Otherwise the spring seat won't fit.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great—thanks very much! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No problem.
This is the quick sketch I put together when I measured the one remaining bump stop I had.
I didn't include the dimension of the flange at the top, but it was probably about 5 inches in diameter.

Don't make the diameter of the cone any larger than 3.75 inches at the top. Otherwise the spring seat won't fit.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Wes
By 1967 AR had established their corporate headquarters (USA) at Johnson Avenue, Newark, NJ hence all East Coast delivery was via the Port of Newark, NJ.
This was prior to moving to Englewood Cliffs, NJ in 1969.

Records of distribution to dealers, then to actual buyers would have been discarded long ago.

Here's a link to a great write up of a Duetto Love Story: https://www.slideshare.net/mausala58/a-duetto-in-new-york-the-alfa-us-branch-in-the-70s

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Some updates to report on...

Used parts from my 4 seats (2 from 663438, 2 from a 1968 1750 spider) to make the best pair of seats.

Upholstery and seat foam came from Classic Alfa.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Those look very good! How did you treat the steel pans?
The frames were painted with an automotive primer, then satin black.

Very nice well done ! One question, were the seat rails originally black? or silver plated?
The rails we're all black. They didn't look they they were originally anything different.

Everything looked to be originally painted black except for the hinges. The 68's seat hinges were a dark silver that looked like the "hammer finished" stuff that Rustoleum sells.
Turned out, after looking closely at the 67's seats, those hinges were also originally silver.

Here's the seat bottoms of a couple of the seats - 67 seat (with rusted thru pan), 68 seat (with manufacturing date ink stamp), the silver hinge on a 68 seat (prior to refinishing)

Attachments

121 - 140 of 151 Posts