Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
BTW what color code did you use? I am looking at painting my 69 and am looking for paint color codes.

Boh and the car looks awesome!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Dont you mean "halfa-romeo"?
Why didn't I think of that!

BTW what color code did you use? I am looking at painting my 69 and am looking for paint color codes.

Boh and the car looks awesome!
Its Alfa 514 Red. The Ditzler code is 71844

Subscribed! Excellent work and attention to detail.
Thanks. The 67 Duetto that you restored and Osso's are the gold standards that I'm striving for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Not much progress to report on with my car. Too many projects around the house. But with the weather getting nicer, I don't there's much that can keep me out of the garage.

What I have been working on has kept me struggling with the quality/accuracy of reproduction parts.

The lollypop reflectors from Alfaholics were good. They're on.
The Door Strikers (also from Alfaholics) were also good. But I had a set of original parts that ended up cleaning up nicely. So that's whats on. (rather use originals than reproductions)
Alfa Romeo trunk script. Bought this years ago. Turns out the original "Romeo" has three studs. The repo has two (and in different locations). I'll get the originals re-chromed.
Hard Top Chrome (mounts between the trunk lid and the convertible top). Wrong shape. I'll get my originals re-chromed.
The Door Buffers and Door Buffer gaskets were the wrong material and mis-shapen. So, I cleaned up what I had and they're actually quite nice.
Outside Mirror from Classic Alfa was good. So, that's on.
Tail Light Housings, also from Classic Alfa. Don't fit well, but unless I can find originals, they'll do.
Licence Plate Lights and Reverse Light from Classic Alfa - somewhat useable. I salvaged parts from original assemblies and will make these repo parts work.
Inside Rearview Mirror and Sun Visors from Classic Alfa. I'm not sure I'll use these, but I'm not ready to assemble the interior. So I'll defer that decision until later.
Rubber Mat set from Cicognani. Very good rubber set, but the door sills and interior piece that goes from side to side behind the seats are different than the originals. So, I'll use my originals in those locations.

Then, there's the headlight covers. So much junk. The set from Classic Alfa and Centerline wouldn't fit on anyone's car.
I have a pair of covers that were bought at an Alfa dealership that are 40+ years old. Both are lightly scratched, but will clean up. But the Driver's side has both tabs broken off.
I have one more set coming from Re-Originals that they claim is made in Italy on the original dies. If those are thin and mis-shapen like the 2 sets of reproductions that I already have, then I'll try using my old ones.

I did throw some flat black paint on the areas that the factory had painted.
It looked like the original paint was rapidly brushed on. So I did the same (reminded me of throwing paint on a Rhodie FAL that I restored a few years ago)

Attachments

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,146 Posts
Not much progress to report on with my car. Too many projects around the house. But with the weather getting nicer, I don't there's much that can keep me out of the garage.

What I have been working on has kept me struggling with the quality/accuracy of reproduction parts.

The lollypop reflectors from Alfaholics were good. They're on.
The Door Strikers (also from Alfaholics) were also good. But I had a set of original parts that ended up cleaning up nicely. So that's whats on. (rather use originals than reproductions)
Alfa Romeo trunk script. Bought this years ago. Turns out the original "Romeo" has three studs. The repo has two (and in different locations). I'll get the originals re-chromed.
Hard Top Chrome (mounts between the trunk lid and the convertible top). Wrong shape. I'll get my originals re-chromed.
The Door Buffers and Door Buffer gaskets were the wrong material and mis-shapen. So, I cleaned up what I had and they're actually quite nice.
Outside Mirror from Classic Alfa was good. So, that's on.
Tail Light Housings, also from Classic Alfa. Don't fit well, but unless I can find originals, they'll do.
Licence Plate Lights and Reverse Light from Classic Alfa - somewhat useable. I salvaged parts from original assemblies and will make these repo parts work.
Inside Rearview Mirror and Sun Visors from Classic Alfa. I'm not sure I'll use these, but I'm not ready to assemble the interior. So I'll defer that decision until later.
Rubber Mat set from Cicognani. Very good rubber set, but the door sills and interior piece that goes from side to side behind the seats are different than the originals. So, I'll use my originals in those locations.

Then, there's the headlight covers. So much junk. The set from Classic Alfa and Centerline wouldn't fit on anyone's car.
I have a pair of covers that were bought at an Alfa dealership that are 40+ years old. Both are lightly scratched, but will clean up. But the Driver's side has both tabs broken off.
I have one more set coming from Re-Originals that they claim is made in Italy on the original dies. If those are thin and mis-shapen like the 2 sets of reproductions that I already have, then I'll try using my old ones.

I did throw some flat black paint on the areas that the factory had painted.
It looked like the original paint was rapidly brushed on. So I did the same (reminded me of throwing paint on a Rhodie FAL that I restored a few years ago)
Great detail work, Jeff. Not too many folks remember to apply the black paint.

As for the headlamp covers....I bought three sets from a couple of dealerships in the past. I also got a pair on Ebay a number of months ago. So, 4 sets of covers and not a single one fit the same. Why? Because they were stacked on top of each other and deformed. Some were too wide and some too narrow. So, my painter, took the ones that were too narrow and cut a piece of wood to push them out to the proper width. He placed the covers with wood under a heat lamp for a few minutes and now they fit.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
My notes are incomplete

My notes are incomplete and I don't remember what was used to secure the trunk release cable.

I thought this cable anchor was used for the hand throttle, but maybe it secures the trunk cable?

Unfortunately, the Illustrated Spare Parts Catalog is equally vague.

Can someone please look at their car and tell me (or take a picture of) what's appropriate?

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Got some shiny bits today

I had some parts re-chromed. It took several weeks, but I sure like the results.:smile2:

My enthusiasm might be a little tempered next week when I find out how much it cost.:surprise:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I bought these reproduction trunk script pieces several years ago. Took them out of the bag earlier this year and decided to re-chrome the original pieces.

Here's the originals, followed by the reproductions.

I think the "R" is a little tweeked in the original one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I always thought the R on the original wasn’t quite right either.. but they all seem to be like this, including mine

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
They are that way because they get bent at sometime during the life of the car. This more than likely happens when someone is washing or drying the car.

I'd go with the original

I found this picture in my "pre-restoration" photos. I think it got bent that way a long time ago.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 172 Posts