Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To whom it may concern,
I have a 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetta spider, which I am looking to restore. I was wondering if anyone could make any suggestion of shops that can do complete restorations for these cars, and what the average price may be for said job. I am located in West Virginia if someone knows anybody in the area qualified. Otherwise would appreciate good references.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Vintage Customs - who is on the BB here is in Oregon. Do a search for some of his resto threads.

$$ - naw, $$$$$$$$$$$. How much do you have? What do you want to end up with? Pebble Show car - $100,000 +. Club racer - less. 'Shine hauler - ??

BTW - is't DuettO. Italian for two seater, sorta. Even tough they really are female cars (which would be an A ending....) !

Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert,
Thanks for your reply. I am not looking to make this car a Pebble Beach car, but would like it restored to a nice driving condition, as it was my mother's high school graduation present from my grandfather. I did check out your recommendation, and Vintage Customs looks like they do a great job with Alfa's. The only downside is that I am on the East coast. Do you know of any restoration place here on the east coast??

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Lots of the effort in restoring an Alfa is in dealing with the rust. Early Spiders were especially vulnerable - made way before galvanized steel was used in cars. The traditional places in a spider is the floorboards, especially right behind the front wheels, the lower fender edges fore and aft of the rear wheels (multi layers of steel here, the rust gets in the inner spaces), the bottom of the doors in extreme cases, and the door sills. If the top wasn't well maintained, the rear shelf gets rusty under the sound deadening material. Finally, the spare tire well rusts out.

Assess these areas first. Everything else is just mechanical and cosmetic parts, most of which can be easily replaced.

Next, assess how much work you want or can do. It's $80 + per hour to pay for someone to do this stuff.

The single biggest deal will be the body work - easily a few thousand just for the panels if you need all the above. Then a good paint job can cost a few thousand to many. (e.g. $2000 to 3000 just to blast the old paint off).

There is plenty of room to do a really good job for $15,000 to $25,000 if you pay for the labor.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Hi Brian,

I don't know where in West Virginia you are but I'm just a couple miles from the WV border in Hagerstown, MD. I also have a 67 Duetto that I've owned for 22 yrs. and I'm fairly familier with where these cars need attention. As far as a restoration facility, alfabb member Jarrington bought a 67 Sedan from me and had some panels welded and a nice paint job done by a facility somewhere in central VA. I'll see if I can find out where that was and how it's holding up. I can cetainly see why you would want to restore this car and keep it in the family. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,023 Posts
Many Alfa owners from all over the USA (& Europe) send their cars to McCabe Automotive Restorations in Mundelein Illinois. Skips shop specializes in vintage Ferrari restoration, but they also do world class work on any vintage collectable.847-949-8340. Tell them I sent you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts