Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FOR SALE: I found an Alfa part in a barn that my uncle had used to store his assorted cars, including several Alfa Romeo's. My brother, Merritt, told me that this is a 105 Sump cover off a 67-69 Duetto. It's the low-profile 18mm version, which he said used to be hard to find. These #'s are on the inside of the pan: 10500-01-211-03. It's in pretty rough shape as it's been sitting in the barn for who knows how many years. It doesn't have any kind of damage other than what you can see in the photos, which is all basically some chipped pieces off some of the raised fins on the outer surface. Make an offer- I have no idea what to ask. If you have any questions, I can find out for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,647 Posts
This is the first-series 105 pan, used from the start of production in 1962 on the Giulia TI. I'm not sure they lasted all the way to Duetto production in 1966, or even GT production; I don't know what year the deeper pan and pump came into use. This pan is 10mm shorter than the later, standard pans most everyone has. It is used with the early 10mm shorter oil pump. Long and short pans and pumps shouldn't be mixed.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I can attest to the fact that early GTVs did come with the thin pan. My car ( Dunlop brakes, trunk release on the passenger side ) still has it on its original engine. The engine still has its thin cam cover bolts too !
I bought the car in 1974 bone stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sump cover

Hi! My dad found the part # in a 1988 Alfa Romeo Dealer Price Guide. It says it's a "Sump Cover" but doesn't show what it fits. My dad says he thinks it'll fit a 1750 if you change the oil pump. My brother said it was for a 1600. Thanks for any info you can give on it!
Kim

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
It will "fit" any of the 105 series motors with the batwing sump. May fit all 1750 or 2.0 motors depending on the oil pump depth.
Here's a pic of my 1750 pump mounted. The shallow sump cover would fit here.
This might be really good for lowered cars. Give you a little more ground clearance.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
My brother said it was for a 1600.
Your brother is correct. This 18mm sump was fitted to early 1600cc 105 Series cars of the 1960s. It was paired with a 'short' oil pump (that I would assume was to maintain sufficient oil pickup to sump clearance). Oil capacity with this sump is 6 quarts.
The closest I can narrow down the introduction of the 28mm sump (7 quart capacity) is 1964-3/67. This sump was paired with a 'long' oil pump.
I can't determine when the shallow sump was phased out as it is listed in some parts books that were published in 1970. This may be though to simply provide a part number for cars originally fitted with this sump even though the sump may have been phased out a few years earlier.

EDIT: Some parts books, 1967-1970, list BOTH the 18 and 28mm sumps. This means that an engine fitted at the factory could have had either sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts