Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what years the Step-Nose GTV's were made ('66/'67?). Preferably a runner, but if not, must be complete, with little or no rust - hopefully a California car.

Should you have one for sale, please email me at [email protected] with details of condition, location, and asking price.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hi Biba69,

Sharing information about 105's forms the core of my over 700 post's here in Alfabb, I mainly use primary sources like documents produced by the factory(Italian versions only) and FIA homologation documents and FCA Heritage build Certificates in Italian (Certificate of origin) of cars I have in my database. I always provide links or copies to all public documents I've used so when you are reviewing my reasoning points/conclusions that you can easily check all the documents.

Regards Steve

Here are the details back I have for the three versions of the GT Veloce 1600, this is the first time that all of these details have been listed in one place in order as a story with documentary evidence.
Sorry for the repetition as I have listed a number of my individual posts which have some overlap.

Numerous attempts at restoring a GT Veloce 1600 have occurred over the years and it's come to my attention that whilst as a private alfisti restoring my GT Veloce 1600 that there has been some confusion and miss information in the past of what is and whats not original factory specifications for the GT Veloces 1600. This thread's aim is to share the information I have found in one place an open forum so you can make your own mind up as to how you restore and present your GT Veloce 1600 be it for concorso or just to go for drives to the country side.

The production of the GT Veloce 1600 was completely different in many ways to it's predecessor the GT Sprint, as there are three different versions of the GT Veloce 1600 when the GT Sprint had only one version.

The three versions of the GT Veloce 1600 are
Version 1[65 to early 67]: Had deep rear arches and Dunlop brakes front and rear.
Version 2[Early 67 to mid-late 67] : (I refer Version 2 cars as meaning the Group 2 as listed in FIA 5126) Had deep rear arches and ATE adapters on the front Dunlop uprights to take ATE calipers. The rear axle had ATE calipers.
Version 3[late 67 onward]: Had high arches and solid ATE uprights (with no adapters:to be confirmed). The rear axle had ATE calipers.Sources: FIA document 5126 and Alfa Romeo parts manual plus actual cars.

For each version of the GT Veloce 1600 could be ordered in the standard or the luxury Bertone De Luxe body option. The Bertone De Luxe included extras. One of the extra options was a leather interior. The only leather colours available for the GT Veloce 1600 were dark brown leather (pelle testa di moro) or red leather (pelle rossa). The seat panels had perforations in the leather. Source Alfa Romeo factory parts manuals and sighting actual cars and details presented here https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/227305-105-leather-deluxe-option.html

There were only 6 colors for the interior seats of the GT Veloce 1600.
Two colors for leather were dark brown leather (pelle testa di moro) or red leather (pelle rossa), plus
Two colors for vinyl they were dark grey(nero fumo) or light tan(cuoio) plus
Two colors for a cloth/vinyl combination grey/dark grey(panno grigio unito-finta pelle nero fumo) and light tan/tan(panno cammello-finta pelle cuoio).

There were only 4 colours for the door cards for the GT Veloce 1600, two for leather: dark brown leather (pelle testa di moro) or red leather (pelle rossa) and two for vinyl they were dark grey(nero fumo) or light tan(cuoio)
There were only two colors for the carpet for the GT Veloce 1600, dark grey(colore nero fumo) or red(colore rosso).

The GT Veloce 1600 never came in a black interior. So no black vinyl seats and no black vinyl door cards and no black leather seats and no black leather door cards and no black carpet and no black rear windscreen parcel shelve
I think you need to consult the Italian spare parts catalogue (page 425 and 426) to confirm colors of rear parcel shelf as I think there are errors in the English translated version on theses pages.
The GT Veloce 1600 came with AR 00536 engines and Weber 40 DCOE 27 carbies.

The FIA homologation paper 5126 for the GT Veloce 1600 will give you some details as to the versions (even though they don't use the word version), they do use Group 1 and Group 2. There were only 1000 Group 2 cars, these cars are what I call version 2.

You can tell if you have one of these cars if it has deep rear arches and ATE adapters on the front Dunlop uprights to take ATE calipers. See the details on pages 11 and 12 of FIA 5126, and the spare parts manual. For the Group 2(version 2) cars came with a better range of parts like LSDs, different gearbox ratios, 6x15 wheels and pistons etc (some parts possibly from the GTA) etc as listed in the document. GT Veloce 1600 cars that raced in Australia in events like Bathurst in 1967
(would have been Group 2 cars I think) came third and fourth against the the first and second place cars which were 289 V8 Falcon GT XR.

So version2 (Group 2) cars are rare (only 1000 cars) compared to version 1(Group 1 cars).
Even though I have placed nominal dates for version 1 and version 2(Group 2) The Group 2 cars were actually available from 1966 but most likely production was in the first half of 1967 as the last of the 1600 GTA's were made in 1967(only 60 cars) The last 60 GTA's may have already been allocated and those who missed out on a 1600 GTA purchased one of the GT Veloce 1600 Group 2 cars.

The version 3 cars with the high rear arches also had ATE brakes but on solid ATE uprights (with no adapters) but these cars were still Group 1 cars but differed from the earlier Group 1 cars so I have called them version 3 cars.

Colours of the original factory interior is not well known, I think I have evidence of the correct ones as per the documents.
I guess we are all forgetting as to when the third wave of spare parts suppliers started around the world, I think probably in the late 1970's so I'm not surprised people think black and deep purple(amaranto) vinyl seats in basket weave were original for the GT Veloce 1600.
I think trimmers working for theses suppliers could have easily been able to access basket weave in the 70's in black or amaranto to match the colours of the 1750 GTV, another for debate.
Or a privately commissioned trimmer could have easily ordered(in black or amaranto) a set of front seat base covers for a S1 1750 GTV and a set of front back rest covers for a S2 1750 GTV and had more than enough material to cut them up to make the front seats for the GT Veloce 1600 in black or amaranto!

What I'm saying is don't get confused with what the factory produced and what third party suppliers(third wave) and privately commissioned trimmers produced.
In the https://www.classicalfaromeoregistry.com/type-105-giulias/gt there are 40 GT Veloce 1600 listed in Australia and another 70 in the rest of the world a total of 110 cars out of 12,499 cars(Savill:The Giulia Coupes 1963-1976)[Tally up of numbers shows Fusi 12,501 LHD and 1,737 c.d/CKD a total of 14,238 cars].
Feel free to post your factory Certificate of origin(In Italian) that proves black or amaranto were original colours for the GT Veloce 1600.

The last car I got a Certificate of Origin for was in 2018 and it said produced 1966 with exterior Rosso Alfa and interior Skai color nero fumo.

Nero fumo is dark grey
Nero is black
In the English parts manual it lists Lamp black SKAI leatherette this is NOT Black Skai it's Nero fumo which is dark grey.

The translation from the Italian Nero fumo to the English of Lamp black SKAI leatherette is not correct, that is why I insist on the Italian parts manual to be the primary document.

When English speaking owners were requesting details about their cars, the factory historical section just went to the English translated version (which was incorrect and to compound the miss information was abbreviated.
I'm sorry but I will just spell it out: Sorry, I think Marco made mistakes in particular for cars that had Nero fumo(dark grey) vinyl interiors. He incorrectly translated the Italian Nero fumo to black skai!
Nero fumo is dark grey not black! Any certificates sent out by Marco that list black skai as the interior should be viewed with caution and I recommend you get the Certificate of Origin, printed on high-quality paper only in Italian language, the link is provided below.

Remember all Alfa Romeos historical build records are in ? Italian! That's why you get the (70 Euro) Certificate of Origin which is in Italian as the factory only recognizes that document as the only primary document for your car!

I have no problem accepting new GT Veloce 1600 cars were sold with interiors that were not on the original build sheet like in this scenario:
A client walks in to the Alfa show room and there are only two GT Veloce 1600 cars; a white car with a vinyl tan seats and door cards and dark grey carpet and a red car with vinyl dark grey seats and door cards and red carpet.

The client wants the white car but with the vinyl dark grey seats and door cards to match the dark grey carpet. In a few hours the seats and door cards are swapped from the red car to the white car and the sale is made thus happy dealer and happy customer. As for the red car it now has vinyl tan seats (still in their protective plastic covering) and red carpet still all factory correct but no longer what was on the original build sheet.

What we are debating is were there factory or CKD (105.37) GT Veloce 1600 cars installed with vinyl amaranto (deep purple) interior seats and door cards or vinyl wine coloured burgundy seats or door cards or nero (black) seats and door cards.
In these case for the colours amaranto (deep purple) seats and door cards in vinyl or wine coloured burgundy seats or door cards in vinyl or nero (black) seats or door cards in vinyl, I doubt the GT Veloce 1600 was ever sold new or assemble CKD with these colours.

I have evidence of door cars and seats that had their colour changed from tan to black via a vinyl dye. This is something that a privately commissioned trimmer could easily have done. The comment my black seats are wearing down to a brown colour, is actually the black dye that was placed on the seat by the trimmer has worn out and the seat's original tan colour is showing. I would says that in the past 1970's that trimmers could also change the colour of tan seats to amaranto, deep purple or wine colour or black so that the owner could at a fraction of the cost of having to re trim the car so as to on sell it.
Trimmers usually cover the seats and trim panels in plastic after they dye the panels of the seats as it takes over 24 hours for the dyes to set, so that you don't get the new colours on your clothes. The dye needs to be touched up a few weeks later on the seats otherwise it can wear out/come off.

I said the original certificate had to be in Italian that's why the factory now states 'The Certificate of Origin, printed on high-quality paper, will be sent to the address you have provided (kindly note that the document will be produced only in Italian language). ' You can request one here for your car
https://www.fcaheritage.com/en-uk/classic-services/alfa-romeo-certificate-origin
Sorry but I think Marco sent out ones produced in the English language which were incorrectly translated for the cars with Nero fumo seats (dark grey) and these and any preview in English have a high probability of also being incorrect if the same mistakes in translation occurs for cars with Nero fumo seats (dark grey). The English translated text is NOT The Certificate of Origin as it's not in the Italian language. Even the current 'alternative', information could be provided in the text of an e-mail, which is in English may be incorrect for cars with Nero fumo seats (dark grey).

Here is a copy of the email sent out to me in 2018
__________________________________________________ _______
'Following your request, we would like to inform you that from our search in the production registers concerning the chassis number you provided (AR ******), the following information is available:
- Model
- Production date
- Delivery date
- Market destination
- Exterior color
- Interior

The Certificate of Origin, printed on high-quality paper, will be sent to the address you have provided (kindly note that the document will be produced only in Italian language).
A preview will be sent to your email address (this one will be produced in English language). The cost of this service is 70.00€. In order to arrange the shipping of the documentation, we kindly ask you to provide the delivery address and the phone number already with the confirmation of this option.

As an alternative, the information could be provided in the text of an e-mail. The cost of this service is 30.00 €.
After you send us your confirmation by replying to this email, we will proceed to sending you the payment instructions.
Kind regards,
Valeria Falcone
[There are individuals that have claimed that they had black (nero) and aramanto(deep purple) interiors in their GT Veloce 1600. I'm not disputing what they had, even though they have no evidence. I'm only saying the Alfa Romeo factory never had theses colours for the GT Veloce 1600 and that aftermarket or third party suppliers or privately commissioned trimmers either color dyed their tan seats black or aramanto or they were installed later using the black or aramanto materials/seats from the 1750 Series 1 GTV which had these colours as factory original. So far no Italian edition of the Certificate of origin for a GT Veloce 1600 has been presented that states interior of nero or aramanto existed]

The following colours: black or red or wine color or amaranto or deep purple in vinyl were never listed for the GT Veloce 1600 in LHD or RHD.

Let me explain

1. Look at page 444 of the Italian version of the parts manual for the GT Veloce 1600 etc
https://www.okp.de/fileadmin/Download/Ersatzteilkataloge/105_1300-1600_GT_GTV_GTC_GTA.pdf

2. Look at the base of the seats item labeled 1 for example.

3. Go to page 445, look for the label 1 on the left and Denominazione is SEDILE sinistro completo:
then Numero 'd'Ordinazione
105.36.58.001.00 is jinta pelle SKAI nero fumo (which is dark grey)
105.36.58.001.02 is jinta pelle SKAI cuoio (which is tan)
105.36.58.001.10 is panno grigio unito - finta pelle nero fumo (which is grey cloth and dark grey vinyl) Wow this is another option
105.36.58.001.12 is panno cammello -finta pelle cuoio (which is fawn cloth and tan vinyl) Wow this is another option
105.36.58.001.71 is in pelle testa di moro (which is dark brown leather)
105.36.58.001.73 is in pelle rossa (which is red leather)

Summary: For the 1600 GT Veloce LHD or RHD.
1.There were only two colours in full vinyl, they were dark grey or tan.

2.There were two options in part cloth and part vinyl. The colours were: fawn cloth and tan vinyl or grey cloth and dark grey vinyl.

3.There were only two options in leather, they were dark brown or red (Bertone DeLuxe options).

4. Certificate of Origin document only in the Italian language issued in the last two years is the only recognized document for you car; as any English documents which have been issued in the past have high probability of being incorrect as known mistakes in translation have occurred for cars with Nero fumo(dark grey) seats being incorrectly listed as black.

5. Third party suppliers and or privately commissioned trimmers in the 70's etc may have installed for cultural reasons black or red or amaranto deep purple seats in vinyl into the GT Veloce 1600 in LHD or RHD (use of dye to colour original tan seats to black or red or amaranto deep purple colour may have also occurred). But these seats are NOT original factory colours in vinyl for the interior.

6. Still today in 2019 black interiors are available as kits or can be made up for those interested in customizing their car and not interested in keeping it as per factory original.

7. I'm sure the Concours d'Elegance judges are open minded and will accept the Italian version of the factory parts catalogue as a a primary source and strong evidence/facts of the factory correct colours for the interior in vinyl for the GT Veloce 1600 LHD or RHD.

The Spettacolo 2019 to be held on the 30th November 2019 and 1st December 2019 in Melbourne Australia. Here are the links
https://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/2019/09/tiamo-spettacolo-concorso-judging/

As any entrant to this or any Concorso being fully informed as to the originality of your GT Veloce 1600, I think will be an advantage especially now where you can obtain the Certificate of Origin in Italian for your car and have access to the Italian parts catalogue thus the relevant pages concerning your car's original interior options

The GT Veloce 1600 LHD and RHD has a number of distinct features you need to be aware of when you are either considering buying one or restoring one.
The basics
1. The cars were made in three different versions
Version 1: FIA Group 1 early (body had low rear wheel arches)
Version 2: FIA Group 2 (body had low rear wheel arches)
Version 3: FIA Group 1 late (body had high rear wheel arches)

Version 2 (FIA Group 2) had a LSD diff and a greater selection of diff ratios and gearbox ratios as well as different wheels, as well as engine/piston options for racing.

The brakes on all the three versions were different.
Version 1: Dunlop all round front and back
Version 2: ATE front calipers on ATE to Dunlop adapters on Dunlop front uprights.
Version 3: ATE front calipers on solid ATE front uprights

All three versions 1600 GT Veloce LHD and RHD only had one of six possible interiors.
Interior seats and door card options
two were leather(dark brown or red: Bertone DeLuxe option), two were full vinyl (dark grey{nero fumo} or tan) and two were part cloth and part vinyl (grey/dark grey or fawn/tan) for seats only
There were only two carpet colours red or dark grey.
The rear parcel shelf was never black.

As you can see from the factory parts catalogue, the factory focused on varying the body shape and mechanical of GT Veloce 1600 in such a short time 1965 to 1967. This was offset by the reduction in the number of interior options for the GT Veloce 1600 compared to the GT Sprint.

For the three versions of GT Veloce 1600 only had 6 options for the seats compared to GT Sprint's 25 options for seats.

The GT Veloce 1600 had 4 options for door cards while the GT Sprint's had 16 options for door cards.

What this means is all colour combinations of the previous model (GT Sprint) were not all possible for the colour combinations of the GT Veloce 1600.

If you are thinking of buying or restoring a GT Veloce 1600, you will need to:
Obtain the Certificate of Origin, produced only in the Italian language for your car. https://www.fcaheritage.com/en-uk/classic-services/alfa-romeo-certificate-origin
(Don't use the English translated version as it could have errors)
Check out the FIA document 5126 attachment.
Have a look at the Italian parts manual only https://www.okp.de/fileadmin/Download/Ersatzteilkataloge/105_1300-1600_GT_GTV_GTC_GTA.pdf The interior is listed from page 410.
Don't use the English parts manual as it has errors.
It's only taken 54 years since the first GT Veloce 1600 was produced in 1965 to work out the correct colours for the interior, so now we can restore our car's interior to factory correct!
The factory produced the GT Veloce in 13 exterior colours(same as the GTC) while there was only 7 colours for the GT Sprint(Source Savill page 18)
Here are the production numbers as listed in Fusi for the GT Veloce 1600
GTV 1600 LHD
Year 1965 body number 240001 to 240769 qty made 769
Year 1966 body number 240770 to 246897 qty made 6128
Year 1967 body number 246898 to 252474 qty made 5577
Year 1968 body number 252475 to 252501 qty made 27
Total LHD 12,501

GTV 1600 c.d / CKD
Year 1966 body number 298001 to 298773 qty made 773
Year 1967 body number 298774 to 299737 qty made 964
Total GTV c.d / CKD 1,737
Total production 14,238

If comparing Fusi and Savill there are large differences for 1966 which can be explained, but not for 1967.
Year 1965 Fusi 769 Savill 770
Year 1966 Fusi 6901 Savill 6129 (Savill's 6129 is missing the 773 GTV c.d/CKD from 1966)
Year 1967 Fusi 6541 Savill 6628 (Savill's 6628 over estimates by 87 the total for 1967?)
Year 1968 Fusi 27 Savill 27
Total Fusi 14238 Savill 13554 (Savill's own total in his book of 12,499 is an error in addition of his own numbers? Fusi's 12,501 = left hand drive ~Savill's 12,499, so may be Savill did not list the GTV c.d / CKD 1,737 in his 12,499 number?)

I just realised that in offering a few possible reasons as to explain the fate of the majority of the 1300 GTj 1966 to 1972 cars may also apply to the LHD GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint.

A possible explanation as to why local demand in Italy was high.
The 18% purchase tax also applied to LHD GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint.

The idea that 1300 GTj was more economical than a 2L is probably correct for speeds at 50mph but not so for 70mph as the original figures shown below Source: Savill pages 16 and 17.
The fuel consumption for the Sprint GTV(GT Veloce 1600) was about the same as for the 1300 GTj when driven above 70 mph.
At 50 mph
Sprint GTV 1600 35.4 mpg (Autocar Dec 1966)(GT Veloce 1600)
1300 GTj 37.7mpg (Autocar April 1969)
2L GTV 32.5 mpg (Autocar July 1972)
At 70 mph
Sprint GTV 1600 27.8 mpg (Autocar Dec 1966)(GT Veloce 1600)
1300 GTj 27.4 mpg (Autocar April 1969)
2L GTV 26.8 mpg (Autocar July 1972)

So this indicates to me the expected fuel consumption of the Alfas with Italy's Autostrade roads networks in place with a speed limit of 81mph(130km/hr), only dropped to 75mph in 1973 for the oil crisis, by 1977 it was back to 81mph.

Every day use at these high speeds would have worn the GT Veloce 1600's engine out at a faster rate as compared to a 2L engine (I think) thus extra mechanical expenses.
Registration tax (possession tax) was dependent on horse power (the real power of the engine), the 1300 GTj had 92 bhp and the GT Veloce 1600 109 bhp bhp(net) and the 2L had 131 bhp(net). (still checking; but lower for smaller engine cars ~$150)

The horse power was used by insurance companies to work out risk/premiums, so insurance costs for the 1300 GTj and GT Veloce 1600 were lower compared to 2L.

The horse power was also used by employers to work out rate of mileage reimbursements if using your car for work.
The mileage reimbursements was based on a formula termed PF = Potenza fiscale tariff, which for cars using petrol could not exceed a PF of 17 if it was a petrol car.
1300 GTj, PF = 15 ,
1600 GTV' PF = 17,
1750GTV PF= 18 and
2L GTV's PF=20, source Wiki.
So only 1300 or 1600 cars could get the mileage credits.

So I think the GT Veloce 1600 (and GT Sprint) as well as the 1300GTj cars step nose and smooth nose in Italy were sought after because of the cheaper taxes to be paid and in particular the employer mileage credits that offset the high fuel taxes thus making the GT Veloce 1600 (and GT Sprint) and the 1300 GTj cheaper to posses (but the catch was if you still owned it but were not using it you still had to pay possession tax each year, this quickly would build up over the years so you were encourage to get rid of it {off to the scrap yard and then onto the Govt owned EAFs}, rather than store it while you restored it).

The factory capitalize on the popularity of the GT Sprint cars to gain employer mileage credits that offset the high fuel prices/taxes, so when the GT Sprint cars were finally phased out by the factory they continued production with the 1600 GTV (GT Veloce 1600) which used many of the same body panels/presses(Except version 3 of the GT Veloce 1600).

The GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint were a bit more expensive to insure(due to horse power) than the 1300GTj, but their fuel costs were comparable, but your mileage credits would help out if you were using it for work. By running up large mileages there was a possibility of major mechanical costs, like needing new pistons and liners, crank regrind or cylinder head work (as well as gearbox syncros and diff rebuilds) could have meant that would put the car out of action for a while if two or more of these needing attention, this would mean you would miss out on you mileage credits, so you were encourage to get rid of it {off to the scrap yard again and then onto the Govt owned EAFs}

So by 1983 in Italy most GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint were no longer the sparkly/flashy car that was purchased new off the showroom floor 17-20 years ago, they were just worn out high mileage cars that probably lived out side on the street with out cover so rusting away as well. By that time the factory would have had car recycling approach well established. They would have wanted to get rid of the bulky spare parts like fenders and engines that were taking up valuable storage space needed for the next models like the Alfetta and Suds.

The GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint poor condition would have placed social pressure on the owners (especially if owners would have been parking them on the street in front of their apartment in the cities of Italy) to move it on and upgrade.

So who knows how many cars are still in existence today as there are only ~110 cars listed on https://www.classicalfaromeoregistry.com/type-105-giulias/gt so I guess we better get it right when we restore one.
Regards Steve

Especially of cars at the end of production car missing from lists. Fusi's 3rd edition was published in 1978, It was this edition that had the GT Veloce 1600, so you would've expected his lists were comprehensive, unfortunately they weren't. With chassis numbers not built in chronologically order must have also compounded the issues he had to deal with give his age(born 1906) of ~72 years in 1978. I've seen a car who's number is hundreds off to where you would expect it.

What I was trying to lead into by my previous two posts was not the errors in production numbers or cars missing from the lists, but the sheer volume of production of GT Veloces 1600 (and GT Sprints which I have not listed), in particular focusing on the LHD GT Veloces 1600's life span in Italy to present the big picture of what happened!
Here are some facts
The Italian Govt was controlling Alfa Romeo up to 1985
With the Italian Govt controlling petrol taxes (over $1US/Litre in 1966!), which forced people to buy under 1.6 litre cars to get mileage credits from employers (a Govt tax credit rule ?).[In 1966 the US/Lire exchange rate was set at $1US to 625 Lire. The average wage of an industrial worker in Italy was 530 Lire/hour in 1966.
So you had to work just over 1 hour to be able to pay for just the tax on 1 litre of fuel, add to that the cost of fuel. In today's money an hour of work for an industrial worker starts at? $15-20/hour. Paying the equivalent of $15-20 a litre for fuel today seems ridiculous. Fuel was taxed heavily in Italy in 1966].

The Italian Govt controlling possession tax (regardless) like having to keep your car registered every year even if you did not use it (leaving a non running car outside of your apartment for more than a week most likely it would've been towed away and sent to scrap yard) (to check: cost and availability of spare parts and labour cost for large repairs also may have limited owner's ability to repair and keep the car)

The Italian Govt's Electric Arc Furnaces (EAF) depended on used scrap(car bodies) as it had limited iron ore reserves. Owners may have had limited funds to allocate to repairing car, i.e. cost of Govt owned spare parts! and cost of labour (check:If Govt listed labour rates for Alfa mechanics who may have only been available at dealerships (which had all the special Alfa tools)! as opposed to a private mechanic) for repairs could have been high, which would force owners to get rid of the car once it broke down as they could not afford to keep paying possession tax every year, so either sold their worn out cars and eventual the next owners sent the cars to the scrap yards, (a guess: probably also Govt owned scrap yards)

I think the Italian Govt knew it could get the used scrap(car bodies) from Italy as well as import them from the surrounding European countries relatively easily but in 1973 the oil crisis caused the price of things that depended on oil to rise (in 1973 in the UK there was petrol rationing). Used scrap prices/tonne (car bodies) spiked around the world. That meant since the Italian Govt whom depended on used scrap to feed it's Electric Arc Furnaces, would've had to resorted to more local used scrap to counter the higher prices of imported used scrap. So from 1973 on wards for a number of years I think many cars especially the high mileage GT Sprints and GT Veloces 1600 (and 1300 GTj) disappeared from Italian roads and were sent to the scrap yards.

My reasoning is based on a supply chain approach. The Italian Govt needed the used scrap steel pellets for it's Electric Arc Furnaces. The steel in the cars GT Sprints and GT Veloces 1600 and 1300 GTj were only temporary holders of the steel to satisfy domestic and some foreign demand for cars.

My conclusion in a nut shell: The Italian Govt made the car GT Veloce 1600 (as well as GT Sprint and 1300 GTj), it sold it to you with a 18% purchase tax, it then taxed you heavily to run it with fuel taxes, so you were forced to run it into the ground with high mileage so you could get the employer mileage credits (you had no garage to keep it out of the weather), then the Govt taxed you to keep it while it was off the road.
Owners may have had limited funds to allocate to repairing car, i.e. cost of Govt owned spare parts! and cost of labour (Govt listed labour rates!) for repairs was high, which forced owners to get rid of the car once it broke down requiring repairs like e.g. gearbox rebuilding or new pistons and liners. So the Italian Govt in effect took the car from you once you ran it into the ground and repairs were too expensive for you and it ended up in the Govt scrap yards who crushed it and tuned it into steel pellets.
The Govt then sold the scrap pellets in exchange for steel plate from Russia or sent the scrap pellets to it's own state run Electric Arc Furnaces to melt it into steel stock which was later turned into fresh steel plate ready to be delivered to the Alfa Romeo factory, to press more panels that could go into making the next Alfa Romeo!

Or in economic terms:
The Italian Govt controlled just about every aspect of the supply chain concerning the steel in the cars, it used various economic levers so as to change/control the behavior of the largest demographic who owned the cars with incentives (mileage credits) and other laws and taxes to make it difficult to keep the cars long term (more than 12 years), maybe even fewer years as a result of the 1973 oils crisis.
Those that had the means to pay the possession tax every year and the repair costs and keep their cars out of the weather thus keeping their cars (GT Sprints and GT Veloces 1600 and 1300 GTj) in good condition are the cars we see in Italy today!
You could argue the objective was to provide cars for the people in the GT Sprints and GT Veloces 1600 and 1300 GTj, but then again you can also argue keeping a steady supply of steel pellets for the EAF which would help produce the steel for the next model of cars for the people so a circular argument, so not quite the 'tie yourself in knots' as mentioned by Alfa2go.

Every one wanted a car in Italy, as it's population's desire for mobility increased as a result of the new highways network, AutoStrata del Sole which was completed on 4th October 1964 Source IL Globo, but Govt/employer rules restricted population to less than 1.6litre. Which means the mileage calculations must have been well regulated by the employers.

Something like my period pocket DISTA-METRO (pre GPS) which lists distance in km from numerous cities to 19 major cities in km may have been used.
The distance from Roma to Bologna was 397km (Google maps now lists it as 376km)

Regards Steve

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts