Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its time to start the story of my Veloce buy, approximately 4 months ago. I wasn't actually looking for any car, definitely not a 66 veloce , as they are very rareeeeeeeeeeee up in Canada and big time dineros! I happened to google up the local web sites for classic alfa and bmws. What I would term pure luck, I came across a web site that had JUST put the car up for sale. I was the first visit on the site and made the call immediately, jumped in my s2000 and drove, FLEW up to see the car which was 80 km away . I told the gentleman to hold the car for me as I would be coming up there with a cash deposit.

I bought it on first glance , no inspection, just a gut shot decision, factoring in what they sell for at various levels, I would be in a no loss position. The owner had fielded at least a dozen calls while I was driving up to view it. He held the car for me which was fortunate for me. Once the Ownership was transferred I had it towed back to my garage.

The car as it turns out is complete and in really good condition for a 48 year old car. It has been stripped down to the shell. Engine and tranny pull are next. Brad Fischer and several other members have been a monster help to me. I am a 1st time alfa owner, so all advice was and is greatly appreciated! I hope to have it on the road in 6 mos. I hope the pics went through.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Glad you started a thread on your 66 GT Veloce. It should be interesting to watch the progress on the ABB as well as in person as I am close enough to drop by and see your GTs restoration. I think it will be valuable to get other opinions from many ABBers more familiar with this specific model than I am.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Uh Oh - it's starting already.
Some comments will be entertaining, some educational, it's all good. I have always been very appreciative of all the comments I have received in all of the threads I have started. It's all opinions and free advice make the best of it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!!!!! My plan is to keep it mostly stock...Im fine with the interior even if its not original, I don't have a clue on that, but Im guessing Alex knows far more than me. The previous owner probably did some interior reuphosltery, but Im good with it, the car wont be concours, I hope to make it a nice car that I drive and enjoy. Getting the hood prop right are the sort of things Id like to get done as the resto moves forward.Being my first alfa this will be a Learning Process! As Brad stated any input is a good thing.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I blame Brad Fischer for steering me wrong on the RUBBER HOOD PROP ...he said it was original and would help ventilate the engine when I hit 100 mph!!!!! kidding of course

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I sent you a pm, this car will be kept as original as possible, its now totally stripped down to the shell which looks realy good although im changing out the floor pans splash gaurds and rockers, even though rockers are pretty good , its better to change out. All exterior parts removed have been meticulously cleaned polished painted packaged and magic marked. we also re riveted the front grille pieces and painted. All windows came out with no trouble,Ill be replacing all gaskets seals, window seals etc, new door pins and bushings....more pics tomorrow

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have to figure out how to get more pics on...I bought the rims from alfa- eh in Windsor very nice powder coat, they look really good at a very fair price...good guy to buy from. ill get more pics of the shell shortly

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
more pics story

The tire rim combo look really good. These are the powder coated rims, I bought from Alfa-eh along with a few other parts. He is a very good guy to buy from. Car is a mess right now but moving forward. Engine and tranny coming out in two weeks and then body paint. More pics in a few days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 265 Posts