Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of improving the door cards I have by forming a plastic board instead of the card board, the armrest will need to be secured, my thinking is firm hard plastic measured to be an exact fit would eliminate any future sagging, comments thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I see some advantages in using a plastic door card and understand the reasons to look at an alternative to the Masonite board used. The biggest enemy of the board of course is moisture however it has sound and temperature insulating qualities that plastic may not have. I would be interested to know what you find as a good alternative to the Masonite or more likely now MDF, I think the solution is to seal the board with a lacquer barrier prior to fitting the vinyl and foam.
Tim

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
As bad as this may sound I think you're creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If you seal the door cavity properly from moisture with the right plastic sheeting then the card won't get wet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pancho has a point in that the card was protected from moisture entering the door cavity and affecting the card by a sheet of clear plastic fixed to the door frame by adhesive something that got removed by previous owners with consequences for the door card. Incidentally the arm rest is fixed to the metal door frame by screws through the card. I think I will do both on my cards seal the boards and replace the plastic sheet.
Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
I see some advantages in using a plastic door card and understand the reasons to look at an alternative to the Masonite board used. The biggest enemy of the board of course is moisture however it has sound and temperature insulating qualities that plastic may not have.
Also, you can't drive staples into a plastic "board". So you would have to glue your vinyl to the plastic, which might work, but would be a pain.

I agree with others: simpler to apply water sealant to the masonite (I use Thompsons Water Seal) and install a plastic sheet moisture barrier to the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts