Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up my steering wheel and fixing a crack with two part epoxy. A PO coated the wheel and the finish has a textured surface to it which I think enhances the grip, BUT
was the original finish smooth?

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
every wheel I've encountered has been smooooth

·
Registered
431 Posts
Smooth, I've restored a Hellebore and a Personal and they both had smooth coating, I think they applied a thick lacquer of some sort, it was dyed so the Personal wheel is darker and you can't see the woodgrain on either, took ages to chip it off, I recoated mine with many layers of yacht varnish and it shows the woodgrain beautifully

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks. That is what I expected. I think this beautiful wheel was hand brushed with clear lacquer. The finish is fine on my wheel and I'll just sand it down and respray with some varnish. I think it looks good with what I expect is a one stage lacquer wood finish, not two part catalyzed clear coat. With how it looks now, it's not really worth sanding it all the way down unless my recoat, sand and finish doesn't look good.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
btw, if you want to remove the lacquer easily, use a heat gun set on low temp. softens quickly

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I'm wondering about thread title
66 HELLEBORE. What is it off of.
Please post more pics and pics when finished.

Ken

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Heat gun-thanks for the tip but I think it will be fine just fine sanding and spraying on some marine varnish next.
Ken- I don't know where it came off of. But this is the stamp on the back so I'm thinking 1966. The center hub is the same style as my Duetto original black rim wheel and I don't see many. The Hellebore wheels I mostly see are for 1969 on. I am happy to have found it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Hi Dr. I believe that the numbering is month and year.
Making your wheel June 66 or more likely in my opinion Sept 69 (9 9). I am away at moment and can not compare orientation of your stamping with that on a shallow dish Hellebore wheel I have and photos of other same type wheels.

Ken

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking earlier since this is a deep dish. Let me know. Fun knowledge.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I was thinking earlier since this is a deep dish. Let me know. Fun knowledge.
Dr.G, how does the dish on this VGH wheel compare to the stock black plastic rimmed wheel on a 66/67 Duetto?

I need more dish but not as much as a '74 spider's wheel. Just to make it difficult on myself, I'd prefer to keep the rim black plastic too but with more dish, so I can reach the steering wheel with the seat all the way back! Something the Italian designers never dreamed of doing...

Is such a wheel available?

Mark

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Here's my support for the Month Year date stamping. Shallow dish VG Hellebore stamped 11 9 for Nov 1969. It came on a 1971 USA spec 1750 GTV to me from first owner who had retro fitted it complete with Berlina Centre which I prefer to the all wood or black plastic. As Alle says above found on Euro spec 1750s, maybe 68 through 71 and on Canadian spec 1750 69 thru 71 and RHD of which i know less.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark;
I measured the black rimmed standard wheel for the 67 and my wood 66 Hellebore. It's not a 1969 USA BTW because I looked at the 1969 USA SPICA car wheel and it's different. I laid the black and the wood upside down and the black standard wheel measures around 4 1/4" from the tabletop to the innermost rim face. The Hellebore measures about 4 5/8" so it does stick out farther Mark, 5/8" minus 2/8" or 3/8" more. Not much but a little more. You can't have mine though, LOL.
The 3/8" is probably because the wood is just 3/8" thicker than the black bakelite or whatever resin they made it out of.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Thank you very much for measuring the differences for me Dr.G. I drove my friends 1969 1750 euro GTV (that had been listed here in the classified section) and thought the 'reach' was better than my Duetto. I've been looking at Hellebore wheels and thinking they had a deeper dish when compared with the Duetto stock wheel. The thicker rim would be an added benefit if the dish was significantly more than stock. I'll probably just have to live with it as it is, hopefully another 36 years or have an adapter machined for it. The pictures on eBay seem to indicate more dish...I guess not.

1750 VG Hellebore steering wheel.jpg

VG Hellebore w modified horn push.jpg

VG Hellebore MrF.jpg

And yes, I still prefer the black resin or plastic rim, if anyone has any suggestions.

Mark

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark;

Am I missing something? Can't you put a 1750 steering wheel on a 1967 steering column and get the more reach you want? The steering box shaft lengths are different I am pretty sure since I had to specify 67 vs 69 a long time ago when I got a rebuilt box from Chris at Applewood.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure that might work, let me know.
I had a brainstorm on the flywheel and put a 1750 flywheel on my 1600 engine and was able to use a 1750 pressure plate that way. Nobody sees it and I am happy and have a happier pocketbook.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
When you attempt to add more coats of marine varnish to your wheel, it would be a good idea to rig up a way to rotate the wheel continuously, while the varnish is curing. They do this with fishing rods and I've been told by a steering wheel restorer that was how he did it.

I see now that you compared your black 1967 wheel to your wooden 1966 wheel to only
gain 3/8". I thought it had been established that your wheel was a 9/9 or June 69 based on other photographs and comments. I'll check cars at the up coming Italian Car Day on Nov. 7th at the Ferrari dealership in Roswell. The 1969 1750 GTV I mentioned previously
should be there.

Just for the record; I tried a VG Hellebore wooden wheel from a Jr. Super Nuova (that was identical to my 1973 Montreal steering wheel) and it was totally wrong. Way too much dish and a gap between the hub and the steering column but the wheel fit the steering shaft, I believe.

Apologies for hijacking this thread if I did...

Mark

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KenGTA and Ironblock can never hijack a thread becz you are family. No, they were wrong on it being a 69 USA because doesn't look like that. It looks like my Duetto.
Yes, I know the rotation trick. They have a fabulous rotator on the Sage fly rod company tour, but since I can't use that one, I hook up my rods on the BBQ rotisserie and it works great.
I think if you use a fast clear coat or pre-cat lacquer spray you can skip the rotisserie. That is the art of painting. I like single stage Concept PPG but you can't get the right Vivo Verde, so I had to use basecoat/clear. Now that I'm retired Spinaci is getting some love.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Dr., I guess what I have written above was not clear. Even though you have not shown us very many pictures of your what looks like a disassembled Hellebore wheel, it appears to me to be from a REST OF WORLD 1750 GTV or 1750 Spider and is date stamped 9 9 for Sept 1969. And as you said and I tried to say, it is not from a USA 1750.

The ROW 1750 Hellebore wheels are known as shallow dish Hellebores so as not to be confused with deep dish Hellebores that were used world wide on 2 ltr GTV and Spider and maybe on some USA 1750 along with deep dish Personal and maybe deep dish plastic rim. The deep dish wheels started being used when the steering columns were shortened in 1969 to meet USA safety regs I believe.

I will admit that I am not as familiar with the nuances of the 1969 USA cars as others. And remember in the last 50 years some cars got modified.

Ken

1 - 20 of 30 Posts