Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am about to paint my ‘66 GT (105.37 /AR 298455) in its original Rosso Alfa colour and need to ensure that I get the correct shade.

I have seen read quite a few of the past discussions on the subject (including discussions about 303 v 501 paint codes). However none the discussions I have read to date have been specific to the model year of my car

At the risk of rehashing old ground can anyone advise whether my car was originally 303 or 501 red and if provide any of the manufacturer’s paint codes.

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all,

I am about to paint my ‘66 GT (105.37 /AR 298455) in its original Rosso Alfa colour and need to ensure that I get the correct shade.

I have seen read quite a few of the past discussions on the subject (including discussions about 303 v 501 paint codes). However none the discussions I have read to date have been specific to the model year of my car

At the risk of rehashing old ground can anyone advise whether my car was originally 303 or 501 red and if provide any of the manufacturer’s paint codes.

Thanks in advance

John
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

John
Hi, John. After a lot of frustrating research i have concluded that Alfa Rosso (AR501) is the right red color for my 1966 GT Veloce, but have learned that there are huge variations in formulations by manufacturer and by "line" within a manufacturer (just as there were various "Alfa Rosso" AR 501 formulations by the factory for different years!).
For example, for PPG, AR 501 translates to 71818; however the PPG Ditzler line 71818 is slightly different that the PPG Shop-line 71818 or the PPG OMNI line 71818 (the cost difference is more than double between the lowest --Shopline--and highest--Ditzler-- cost option) . It also makes a big difference whether you are using a single stage paint or a baseline and clearcoat paint. Keep in mind that all of these epoxy paints are not the same as what was used "back in the day", so they will be different . In addition, clearcoat will tend to get a yellowish hue over time which will make red look slightly orangey. In the attached photo you will see the difference between the PPG Shopline 71818 single stage and the PPG Shopline 71818 basecoat/clearcoat option. As I wanted a less orangey red, and I am using it on a race car, I decided to use the Shopline (lower cost version in the PPG line which sprays thinner and requires more coats) single stage paint---the lower of the two samples in the photo. Bottom line, as paint is really expensive nowdays (Paint, reducers, thinners etc for my car were right around $1200), get a sample mixed of what you think you want and try it out. Well worth the extra money (about $50 each). Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
634 Posts
It took the painter and I 4 hours and many shoot outs to get the right shade of AR501. Even in todays car colors there are many variants of the same paint code, 1G3 Toyota has 17-21 variants of that code.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys - much appreciated.

So Smithy, how did you settle in that particular shade?

BTW you car looks great !

·
Registered
547 Posts
Snap

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for the input guys - much appreciated.

So Smithy, how did you settle in that particular shade?

BTW you car looks great !
I wanted a shade that was not too orange and not too blue. I did not have a standard to compare to, I just picked the one that looked good to me. My car is modified, and if the color is not a true 501 as concourse judges would say, that did not matter to me. I am very happy with the color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts