Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going back to work in Hawaii for a few months, which of course means checking Craigslist for things I don't need.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/443290704.html

Nope, I'm not even going to call about this one. 3 more Alfas in 2 months is quite enough. Except it's what I've always wanted...

I'll be there early November and can take a look if anyone wants it.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Find out if it won any 'rust bucket' awards. They have those competitions over there.

Cars are eaten alive by the salt air in a short period of time. :mad:

I saw a 15 year old truck at one of those contests with no floor in the truck bed, only little islands of flat sheet metal floating on the bolts from the frame. You could see the frame, exhaust and roadway under the car. :eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, it's good for rust art. In 1975 I bought a '69 Fiat 124 coupe for $50. The floor was plywood- no metal within 6 inches of the doors. I took the back seat out for my surfboards. When driving behind it you could see the dash through the trunklid. Still, I have hopes that the Duetto's owner took better care of his baby.

Same with trucks here. This is how we launch our boats. Trucks don't last long here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah I've spent a bit of time on Oahu. Most horrendous rust on cars I have ever seen. Jaguar XJ6 S1 just melting away into the driveway. I could have bought a BMW 2800 CS with webers for $750 but it was so rusty I ran away. Terrible stuff on that island.

I wouldn't discourage you from going to look at it at least. I have seen an original (I think) TR3 and a few other exceptions but for the most part the older cars seem to be rust buckets.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I spent some time in the Marshalls. New cars would arrive and they would spray Ziebart on the OUTSIDE of the car i some hope of protecting it. After a couple of years all that is left is a Ziebart shell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts