Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every spring when I first start the car it had a fuel line leak. Third year in a row. The short line from the pressure regulator/fuel filter leaks at the regulator. Seems that the short line gets loose from engine vibration. Do you think there is any issue with putting a pig tail in the rubber line to effectively make it longer?
Tony

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
Should be some slack, for sure. The engine moves a fair amount. Is the rubber old and hard? If so I'd change as a matter of course. The gasket for the bowl can leak too, might be dried out from sitting?
Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pennsyltuckey!
Rubber line was new last year. It must be too short.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Please don't live with fuel leaks in your engine bay..a recipe for disaster.. not just your car .. but your house...and life. Too many old cars and motorcycles causing carnage. As an aside ,.. battery cut-off switches are a must. We almost lost a house down the street that luckily only lost it's attached garage due to a motorcycle fire. House was uninhabitable for 9 months...

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
Use modern fuel line compatible with todays fuel and rated for high pressure FI systems. For clamps use the ones designed for high pressure FI systems, not common screw clamps.
hose should be at least 3" longer than needed.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Every spring when I first start the car it had a fuel line leak. Third year in a row. The short line from the pressure regulator/fuel filter leaks at the regulator.
Well can you see where it's leaking? Is the hose pulling off the short brass pipe on the regulator or is that short, brass pipe loose in the regulator?

If the hose is loose on the brass pipe, are you sure the hose is the right diameter? There's two sizes of fuel line commonly available: 8 mm and 5/16" - the 5/16" line is slightly smaller, so you might try that. And sure, a longer length with a bit of a loop will be fine. And as Alfar7 suggested, the hose clamps intended for high-pressure fuel injection will grip tighter and seal better.

If the brass pipe is loos in the regulator, you can either try gluing it back in or else replace the regulator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts