Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh, so we're scalino snobs now?? :grin2: (me too:wink2:)
Guilty as charged. Stepnose are by far the best of the Tipo 105/115.

I chalk it up to the era: in general, the 1970s was the beginning of the end of great car design for a number of reasons, many of which engineers and designers were forced to deal with. I like the 1750 GTV and 2000 GTV, but the longer these cars stayed in production, the chintzier they got.

The ugly U.S.-mandated side markers, raised ride height, flimsy bumpers with overriders, cheap looking enlarged taillights, ugly factory wheels, and worst of all: the interior! After the 1750, the interiors really took a plunge for the worse. Silly door panel design for the sake of 1970s relevance, cheap looking veneer, ugly dashboard/instruments, bulky center console, wonky steering wheel and shift knob, goofy emblem script, etcetera. The early (Stepnose) cars are absolutely beautiful, simple, and clean, and while the 1750 was a nice update (albeit in no way aesthetically improved upon over Giorgetto Giugiaro's original design), the later cars were simply ruined with tacked on extras.

While you can certainly tweak a 2000 GTV to look good, it still can't hold a candle to a Scalino.

Stepnose or GTFO.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Chill, Doraiba.

Be grateful that Alfa blessed the world with BOTH the stepnose and smoothnose GTs.
Agree, but I do think of 2000s like Doraiba does. Alfa Romeo does this all the time, or with most models, ie. they run the model too long. The last 105 should have been the 1750. The 1962cc engine should never have been developed, they already had an awesome v6 replacement engine. The next 4 cylinder should have been a 4 valve short stroker.

But Alfa post 1960/70 never had enough money, but they made the situation worse by too much development money wasted developing the Alfetta drivetrain ...
Pete

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I guess Alfas are expensive in Australia. A restored 1750 GTV is about $50K in the US. I help my friend work on his 1938 Bentley with a 1939 Vanvooren body. We started the engine and thought about driving the car but, had to open his collection to an antique car club. I have my restored 1961 Sprint Veloce stored in his building and drove my car yesterday in the neighborhood. I rode to a car collection today in a Russian made sidecar. I think that most collectors like to drive their cars when they have time.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
... A restored 1750 GTV is about $50K in the US...
Take another look. Restored GTVs are going for close to $80k on BaT these days - $50k is now the low end. And private sales are going for much more.

Capture.jpg

BTW, you may prefer the stepnose to the later versions but the truth is that as a car the 1750/2000 is just better. They made continuous improvements in the structure, power plant, drive train, brakes and electrical system. I love them all but I'll always prefer a '69 GTV over any other model.

BTW, of the fourteen GTVs in the above chart that sold for $50k or more only one was a stepnose...

That should stoke the flames... >:)>:)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The cost to restore a GTV is more than $50K and lets see what those cars bring at auction. The cost to have a weekend car depends upon demand and not original cost. I believe that having fun now is more important than looking at your car when you cannot drive anymore. I was given my first Alfa fifty years ago and have a hard time believing that fifty years have passed so quickly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Guys,
The "Classic Throttle Shop" always have top cars. They also have them at TOP prices. They have been in business for many years and really do turn over their cars. It always surprises me, but they must be doing something right.

Prices/Values are interesting. I sold my 1964 Sprint GT in highly original condition for peanuts about 20 years ago.
I beleive the cars we covet may not be what the next generation desire. I regularly display my racing cars and most teenagers are interested until I tell them it is not a paddle shift! Most new drivers today won't even be able to drive manual cars.

There are plenty of 105's on the carsales website with a range of prices. Most no where near 100k.

I agree with most comments here. Drive and enjoy them.

Regards Daniel

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
All the prices are crazy. They bear no relationship to the cars real values. Porsches, Alfas, Ferraris, whatever. At the right time and place and circumstance none of them are worth a nickel...and a bicycle will be worth more than all of them. Tears and pain and moans of suffering are all on the horizon. Windows will be raining speculators and once again, the people who simply like to tinker with old cars will once again be the owners and will rule the day.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm pretty sure this car is the one i'm thinking of. it had a very high end restoration done and I believe that sale price is still below the cost of the Resto. as gprocket says good cars are more like 80k usd on bring a trailer.

cheers Ian

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I believe that sale price is still below the cost of the Resto.
Ouch! Yes, Classic Throttle Shop prices are always stratospheric, so it will be interesting to see whether this car sells, what it actually brings, and what this does to the market in Australia. Bet you wish you'd kept your stepnose, Ian! What does this mean for 101 Sprints, then?
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi Geoff
I sold the stepnose to buy a 1750 so not too worried, general feeling is the 101 sprints are worth a bit more in Australia as there are so few, so if someone wants to bring one in from overseas they have to factor in all the costs , duties etc. the Classic Throttle shop has sold a few 105's for big dollars. I usually hear about it when they sell.
this silver one changed hands not long ago for I believe just under 100k but I might have that wrong.
cheers Ian

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it is changing hands at 100k then it could be an investment decision or it could be the market is starting to move again another spike?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts