Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yep, amazing......

There is another down under for sale at 120k and I thought that was big but this one tops that.

I actually find it quite sad, you know it will never again be driven as it should once they hit these kind of $$$$

Goes for all classic cars i guess they just become trailer queens to be trotted out on special occasions.

I used to love driving the Alfa and doing the secret 'handshake' (flash of the lights!) when another approached
from the opposite direction, they were the days!

I don't feel energised that mine is now worth xxxx dollars but i feel sad that I can't afford to buy anymore. I'm a buyer not a seller!

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats the spirit Tom!

I'm in the mid 50's and bought my first Alfa when I was 17 (a Super') for a few hundred bucks, they demand to be driven!

My cars always get treated the same - if I cop a stone chip so be it, adds to the patina!

I'd rather see them driven than locked away under covers and only see fresh air yearly.

Cheers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is a beautiful 1750 but I would not pay $135k for it. I use my Alfas as daily drivers I maintain them and keep them clean and tidy but I don't care about their value as I don't consider them as assets and I won't sell them anyway they are MY cars. And like Tom I will drive them as long as I am able.
The rising values only make these cars less affordable to the average person. And as GTV-074 said they will be "locked away" as investments and only seen at special functions. Every time I'm out in the GTV6 I get comments about the car from all age groups not just people who own Alfas but even school kids who give a thumbs up as I drive past and the car is no show pony so I don't pamper it. I clean it when it gets dirty I drive to work and down to the shops and I fix things when I need too. And Alfas should be driven regularly they really don't like sitting around under covers and only driven a few times a year.
105's over $100k and Montreals going for 150k even Alfetta coupe and sedans are heading towards 40k.
I will get down off my soapbox now and drive the gtv down to the shops just for something to do.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Crack pipe.

It's not even a Scalino.
Oh, so we're scalino snobs now?? :grin2: (me too:wink2:)

It looks pretty good, I'd be interested to go through the restoration docs.

Our non-Australian BBers need to appreciate the cost of cars in Australia. We have a range of taxes on new vehicles, a hangover from the days when we had local car makers the government was desperate to protect. We don't have the makers any more, but the taxes oddly remain... anyway, this drives up the new price of all vehicles and means that if you want something unique you will pay, e.g. a new Bentley Continental GT will set you back over A$500k (cf. ~ US$200k in the US). A series 2 1750 GTV is not a Bentley, obviously, but it is unique and it will probably sell at or near the asking price, right or wrong.

Let's just hope it sells to someone who can and will drive it properly...

And yes these valuations are making it more costly to restore and own and drive these cars - I plan to drive my GT most days, but I have an awful feeling the insurance is going to hurt.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
All that money and the spark plug wires are the wrong colour, but yes a wonderfully restored car.

I do find it sad that all 105's are being restored in some sort of silver/grey with the red interior. Wind forward 10 years and "we" all will be complaining about the fact that all 105's are silver/grey with a red interior ... let's be original in our thinking guys, are stop jumping on whatever the current band wagon is!
Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Humm it would be interesting to know if there is a trend in colour change resprays. I just painted the car in the colour it left the factory. (Coincidently Grey with red interior!) Bet red still beats all other colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What's wrong with the door cards ?
Looks like a really good restoration to me, they're expensive

That said I have a '73 GT Junior that lives on the street and is driven every other day. For somebody paid me 10% off what they want for this I'd feel like I was stealing money from them

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Car located in New South Wales, Australia, Assuming that 135, 000 sticker price is demoninated in Australian dollars? At yesterday's closing exchange rate of $0.7545 that still comes out to just shy of $102,000 USD.

·
Registered
506 Posts
100k US for a 105 between the Owner the Seller and the Buyer a lot of money has changed hands that doses not represent the real value of the car

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
100k US for a 105 between the Owner the Seller and the Buyer a lot of money has changed hands that doses not represent the real value of the car
Agreed ... especially if done with all aftermarket replacement restoration parts and or incorrect pieces. I do not recall a tufted door panel the paint looks outstanding but was not that paint code offered in 1980's??.. I guess if I were to do the restoration to that level I might have looked at period colors and or matched original build...but then again, not my party!! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts