Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,212 Posts
Anyone know whose it is, or the VIN? Don't think I have this car in the Register. Thanks
Andrew

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Oregon TI

I believe that is Keith McCormick's car, and if it is, do ask for very high resolution pictures.

Worth a thousand words and all that...

·
Registered
416 Posts
He does say that "body is rough with bad paint" which is probably worth a few pictures.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't know guys for my money as an observer out here in Aus, I reckon at the current price of $7K that it appears to be an excellent opportunity. Its straight, all the correct jewellery is there, the interior looks pretty sound, and from the sound of it and going on the pics the rust issues aren't likely to be too significant.

Given the rarity of the Ti, I would be keen if lived in the US.

·
Premium Member
23,212 Posts
It's funny the price difference in the US between 1600 Supers and all other variants. For whatever reasons, the US market really likes the four headlights, Super engine, Super dash and seats, and values most other variants less highly. Only the 1600 TI and 1600 Super were sold here new by Alfa; many US buyers have probably never seen the many other models you got in Aus, Europe, etc., and just don't care for them as much. I personally think all the variations have their own appeal, and I'd buy the best one I could for the money, regardless of the particular model.
That said, I like early 1600 Super best too, and that's what I have (wait, I have two of them). But I wouldn't turn my nose up at something else if it fit the bill.
Andrew

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought the pics looked good, so I got curious about the "rough body" and asked. Here is what he responded:

"When I said body is rough, I was primarily referring to the bad paint job. Up close there are thin areas, runs, sags, etc. Looks good from 10 feet away as the pictures show. There is not a lot of rust, the rockers look sound. There are small rust bubbles at the bottom of the windshield and along the body line above the rear wheel arches."

... too rough for me I realized.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It's funny the price difference in the US between 1600 Supers and all other variants. For whatever reasons, the US market really likes the four headlights, Super engine, Super dash and seats, and values most other variants less highly. Only the 1600 TI and 1600 Super were sold here new by Alfa; many US buyers have probably never seen the many other models you got in Aus, Europe, etc., and just don't care for them as much. I personally think all the variations have their own appeal, and I'd buy the best one I could for the money, regardless of the particular model.
That said, I like early 1600 Super best too, and that's what I have (wait, I have two of them). But I wouldn't turn my nose up at something else if it fit the bill.
Andrew
I understand what you are saying but perhaps one reason why out here in Aus, any Giulia sedan of any variant is worth $$ is because they are rare. Just recently a really low milage and superb condition Giulia 1300 Super sold for in excess of $30K, as I understand (the seller was understandingly non-committal on the end price). It would appear the same car has just been re-listed (flipped in US lingo) and is currently for sale for $38K. In my mind irrespective of the condition etc, I would question such a price, but perhaps the seller will find a buyer at that price ???

I agree I too love the early Supers best and that hence is what I am turning my '69 back into. But then again pre '65 TI' are really rare and so hence IMHO have a value to them, say akin to a pre '65 stepnose GT, and I guess that is why I thought the car in question seemed pretty good value.

But I appreciate your understanding of the US market.

·
Premium Member
23,212 Posts
I have pushed ads for excellent TIs, 1300s, etc in front of folks looking for a Super, and a number have held out, ignoring really good, affordable cars because they weren't 1600 Supers. There aren't enough in the US that I would be so choosy, but for whatever reason some folks are.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand what you are saying but perhaps one reason why out here in Aus, any Giulia sedan of any variant is worth $$ is because they are rare.
Andrew, couldn't the exact same be said about Giulia sedans here in the US? How many do you figure exist in the US, and in what condition(s)?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Andrew's TI/Super register shows some 350 and a good number of them are non-runners (shells to not registered). Who knows what percentage of those in the US are on this register. That's far, far fewer than the GT's sent here. It sounds like we need to source and send a few to Oz at those prices. Folks here talk a lot but cash is tight for the ugly ducklings. I've followed them here and do not see many in the middle of the pack - a few upper end $$$$ cars and lots or works-in-progress or projects, like this. And Gifford's nice racer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts