Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, today i began the final assembly of the external parts after the full rebuild of my 66 Sprint GT engine. i noticed this damage during disassembly but on re-assembly i looked a little closer to the cause. to me it seems the engine mounts have given way a little and allowed the oild filter housing to rub on the mount ( i looked on my 67 and that car has the same issue! ) so is this a common problem with engine mounts not being replaced or am i just unlucky!

Any ideas would be helpful as i find no one else in the Forums with damaged filter holders..

i am hoping i can get it welded and grind to look tidy again?

thanks Jon. :surprise:

Attachments

·
9,936 Posts
Wow, I have never seen damage like that. I'm not understanding what the filter base was rubbing against to produce that kind of injury. Yea, I know "the motor mounts", but what part of the mount? In the end, I guess it doesn't matter what caused the damage, as long as you have since replaced the mounts.

It's a little hard to resolve your photo, but my sense is that it will take more than welding and grinding to fix that; you may have to re-machine the sealing surface for the filter canister. Probably simpler to find a used, good replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clearance on 67 & 65

Wow, I have never seen damage like that. I'm not understanding what the filter base was rubbing against to produce that kind of injury. Yea, I know "the motor mounts", but what part of the mount? In the end, I guess it doesn't matter what caused the damage, as long as you have since replaced the mounts.

It's a little hard to resolve your photo, but my sense is that it will take more than welding and grinding to fix that; you may have to re-machine the sealing surface for the filter canister. Probably simpler to find a used, good replacement.
first picture is of the 65 engine with the mount and filer bolted in place there is clearance, The second pic is as the 67 is now the filter is touching the mount. I suspect both of these oil filters have been on the 67 ( both cars from the same owner) all before my time, he changed the damaged one out for the OK off the 65 now that one is also damaged.. after many years of not changing the engine mount.. but only a guess ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think it is a New Zealand problem as no one else in the US Alfa world has seen it !
Seriously, you have either the wrong filter housing or motor mount.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not alone

I think it is a New Zealand problem as no one else in the Alfa world has seen it !\
Seriously, you have either the wrong filter housing or motor mount.......
it seems i am not alone.. Classic Alfa UK have told me they have seen many like this before and it's caused by engine mounts.. :wink2:

·
9,936 Posts
first picture is of the 65 engine with the mount and filer bolted in place there is clearance, The second pic is as the 67 is now the filter is touching the mount.
Looking at your first photo, it would seem that the steel part of the motor mount would have to fail, or the mount-block hardware get loose, before the filter housing could contact the steel portion of the motor mount. I'm not saying it didn't happen - obviously something happened to that filter - just that replacing the rubber portion of the motor mount isn't likely to prevent further occurrences.

Unfortunately, I can't see much in your second picture - just the top of the filter.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
It seems to me that the steel part of the motor mount is bolted to the block with 3 studs and nuts and that the oil filter is bolted beside the mount with 2 studs and nuts and the two parts do not move or should not move with respect to each other and they should clear each other. The movement is in the rubber.

But if the steel part of the motor mount is bent forward then maybe they would be touching and wear could take place as they vibrate to make clearance from each other.

Replace the motor mount and find a good used filter house.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
For reference

a couple pics of a spare filter mount.
besides the differences in relief valve and sensor, is the filter area in the same relationship to yours?
On mine, the filter would sit forward from the centerline of the block mounting area....
And the filter sits below the block mounting studs.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts