Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have installed the original wiring harness in the restoration of my 65 Sprint GT. it was in excellent shape after begin stored 25 years !

The dash clocks came in a box with no markings.. I have a wiring diagram but this gives no connections on the dash gauges (it only shows the wires onto the gauges, not physical connection markings etc.. )

I have attached two pictures of the oil Press/fuel gauge as I can get nothing out of it..
I cant find any threads here to help either so I hope someone knows if I have connected the gauge correctly. ( see text on photo ) the wiring harness checks out correctly no broken wires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I found the following pic in some 'notes' I kept from research years ago.

It looks like the gauge should have three +12V inputs; one that you have labeled at the 4 o'clock position, plus, what I do not see in your pic, is a 2nd +12V input on the terminal that the white wire is on with a jumper wire (the 3rd input) from that terminal to the low fuel level light socket.
As a test, try putting +12V on the fuel level socket to see if the gauge now works (assuming that the white wire is connected to the spade terminal hidden by the insulator). The gauge should be held in it's normally installed position.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Pleasure!

Adding these terminal designations to the colour wiring diagram has just made the to-do list. Thanks for confirming!

·
16,232 Posts
Diagram updated.
@jonevo
If the dual temperature gauge wiring has been sorted, would you please provide a picture of the rear of the gauge? I'll then add these terminals to the diagram as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diagram updated.

@jonevo
If the dual temperature gauge wiring has been sorted, would you please provide a picture of the rear of the gauge? I'll then add these terminals to the diagram as well.
Hi Papajam, ill check that asap and send you the info, will be a few days though. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi PapaJam, got the car running today ( first time in 30 years ) so checked all gauges are wired OK.
The wire for the Water temp sender is off in the photo as it's not long enough when the Gauge is removed but connection location is marked on the photo.

See back of Water/Oil Temp gauge wired as is ( all working ) thanks again, Jon.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the pic!
Just to confirm; the white wire with +12V that goes behind the bulb holder connects to a male spade terminal? Is the terminal labeled?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
white wire ?

Thanks for the pic!
Just to confirm; the white wire with +12V that goes behind the bulb holder connects to a male spade terminal? Is the terminal labeled?
Hi there are 2x Pink wires not white, i think this is what you refer to.

Yes it goes to a male spade terminal behind bulb holder, no there is no marking on it. :(

FYI: I think the "Com" terminals marked on the gauges means "communications" that is where all the signal input seem to go.

I assumed it meant "common" when i was wiring, that's where i went wrong...

thanks Papajam for all you help . Cheers, Jon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts