Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Can ...........................
So, of the 200(?) built in 65-6, you know of only 30?
The list of RHD GTAs is about 30 serial numbers long, some GTAs are know lost, some are known today, some are unknown today.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
563 Posts
So far as I am aware, every 1600 GTA RHD was made in 1965, I very much doubt the list of chassis numbers is complete, so numbers much lower than it would seem. I imagine this helped Alfa get to homologation minimum build numbers with regard to racing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How many GTAs in all were built (RHD and LHD) and in what years? I thought someone quoted 50 RHD in '65 and 150 RHD in '66.

Also, have any of the GTA owners on the BB obtained an official build record for their vehicle. Marco at AR says the only way he knows of obtaining such a certified document is through Registro Italiano.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
How many GTAs in all were built (RHD and LHD) and in what years? I thought someone quoted 50 RHD in '65 and 150 RHD in '66.

Also, have any of the GTA owners on the BB obtained an official build record for their vehicle. Marco at AR says the only way he knows of obtaining such a certified document is through Registro Italiano.
Mr Fusi, the Alfa Historian, who may not always have got it correct, quoted, of the RHD GTAs, 50 in 1965 and 140 in 1966 but the Alfa build record indicates otherwise or confusion or both.

Some of us who have have GTA Corsas, prepped by Auto Delta, the factory racing division at the time, have the Auto delta build record, for chassis and engine.

regards

Ken

·
Administrator
12,922 Posts
Always amazes me that interesting cars like this end up wasting theirs and their owners lives in storage ... why?. Just weird.

Use or sell ... IMO. Nothing improves in storage.
Pete

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
It appears that you only have the clover leaf sticker on the rear. I thought mine was the only one that came like that. Guido must have had a bad day.
Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just as I remember it. Does it still have the flat piece of metal in place of the missing steering wheel?
Sure does, stollen by my (x)step-brother in the 80's. Right now I am trying to decide on the best alternative for an original, high quality replacement. Looks like - accessories is a good and reasonably priced option.

Once I have that, I want to try to get it running. Is this a job for someone with limited knowledge of engines?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
you should just sell it to me for a really low price. I'll make her look like a show queen.
You have a diamond in the rough, have fun with it.
It does look like it needs a lot of TLC. For how long its been sitting, you will have to inspect her well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First of all, congratulations on a beautiful car...an original unrestored GTA is a treasure. Please proceed with caution, you have a very valuable car with many incredible original pieces still intact. Please consider preservation rather than restoration, I know pictures can make a car look better than it is, but yours looks to be in mostly remarkable condition except for the rear of the front fender -- is that a hole?
Have you considered contacting Roman Tucker?

Roman Auto Prep

I would think he is the foremost expert on GTA's in the USA and would be an invaluable resource.
You asked about whether someone with limited knowledge of engines should attempt to get the motor running....
There was a great write up here somewhere recently by Jay Macro (that I can't find now) on reviving a long dormant engine. Hopefully someone else remembers it and can post the link. The first step was to put oil down the spark plug holes, penetrating oil first I think, then regular motor oil. Let is soak in for a day, then try to turn the engine over by hand. Don't force it. May be easiest to roll the car in 5th with the one plug per cylinder out. Next would be to get fresh gas in the carbs and tank. Pour a bit into the float bowls by removing the samll wing nuts and round disc on the top center of the carbs. 20+ year old gasoline is nasty stuff! If you can, pulling the carbs and cleaning them is probably a good idea, if that's a little beyond your abilities, at least unscrew the main and pilot jets and clean those. If it starts, let it get good and warm with just low to moderate revs for a while....
Good Luck!
Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great car, but if the motor has not been turned over in 20 years I would have a pro pull the head for inspection. Oil soaking the piston/rings will do little to lube a frozen valve or tappet, bending a valve will make for a bad day.
This car is too rare to take chances with, take your time and find the best people to bring her back to life.
All the best,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
First of all, congratulations on a beautiful car...an original unrestored GTA is a treasure. Please proceed with caution, you have a very valuable car with many incredible original pieces still intact. Please consider preservation rather than restoration, I know pictures can make a car look better than it is, but yours looks to be in mostly remarkable condition except for the rear of the front fender -- is that a hole?
Have you considered contacting Roman Tucker?

Roman Auto Prep

I would think he is the foremost expert on GTA's in the USA and would be an invaluable resource.
You asked about whether someone with limited knowledge of engines should attempt to get the motor running....
There was a great write up here somewhere recently by Jay Macro (that I can't find now) on reviving a long dormant engine. Hopefully someone else remembers it and can post the link. The first step was to put oil down the spark plug holes, penetrating oil first I think, then regular motor oil. Let is soak in for a day, then try to turn the engine over by hand. Don't force it. May be easiest to roll the car in 5th with the one plug per cylinder out. Next would be to get fresh gas in the carbs and tank. Pour a bit into the float bowls by removing the samll wing nuts and round disc on the top center of the carbs. 20+ year old gasoline is nasty stuff! If you can, pulling the carbs and cleaning them is probably a good idea, if that's a little beyond your abilities, at least unscrew the main and pilot jets and clean those. If it starts, let it get good and warm with just low to moderate revs for a while....
Good Luck!
Mike
I'd like to second the idea of going to Roman- it's a bit of a haul to bring it up to SE Michigan, but knowing a handful of Romans cars, it's well worth it.

He'll do exactly what you want- from perfect restorations to perserving everything you see- just getting it running really well, and safely. He's got a few really cool preserved cars in his collection- one highlight is a TI Super that won the Malborough 6 hr in '65 or something like that?

He knows everything about cars like yours, and will easily be able to turn it into a safe driver. Or a perfect restoration, whichever you like.

And he may have the parts you nee that the (x)stepbrother took.

Sweet car- enjoy that car! It will compliment your Healey, IMHO.

Eric

21 - 40 of 68 Posts