Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the interior is nice and clean, I've been working on stripping the exterior. I've been using Capt. Lee Spra' Strip. It doesn't smell too bad, but it's certainly not as effective as aircraft stripper, and I seem to use a lot more of it!
It's interesting working my way through the layers of paint: the dull resprayed green, the original white, the red primer, and various fillers. There seems to be quite a bit of filler over the wheel arches, between 1/8" - 1/4 " thick. Is this normal factory filler, or is an indication of accident damage? The rear panel is pretty clean, just a couple of knocks. I'm wondering whether I should sand all of the filler away, or leave it relatively smooth for the body shop to deal with. Of course I'd love to have it done properly so that very little filler is necessary, but I'm guessing that's not in my price range!
Here are some pix:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The filler in the rear quarter looks like a smash repair to me, and possibly rust repair on the wheel arch. Can't imagine they ever used 1/4" of filler at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,963 Posts
The filler in the rear quarter looks like a smash repair to me, and possibly rust repair on the wheel arch. Can't imagine they ever used 1/4" of filler at the factory.
ditto that.....does not look like factory. i'd take it off as much as I could. if you want to do it right, it needs some panel beating or replacing IMHO

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aargh! I was afraid of that. Well, the rest of the car looks pretty straight (so far!)

·
Registered
95 Posts
stripping the paint

It appears your car was hit in the rear. That ususally causes the wheel arches to buckle a little. Their should be not body filler at all on a car out of the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts