Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a blown fuse on the #3 fuse location. Turn signals and other stuff does not work. Cigarette lighter works. I installed another 8 A fuse, which blew immediately. The diagram for a Giulia calls for a 16 A fuse at this location, but thought I would query you folks on a diagnosis.....

·
Premium Member
21,204 Posts
I'm looking at a 79 Spider wiring diagram and it calls out 8A for the lighter circuit, which has several other things on it. Not sure if a Giulietta would differ.
To diagnose, disconnect one thing at a time on that circuit til it no longer blows?
Andrew

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looking for the cause by elimination, that's perfect but I would go the other way in this case, disconnecting everything on the fuse and than try them one by one. Could save some of the fuses if you are lucky.
Please don't take it as an offense Andrew.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
212 Posts
According to the 101 Giulia wiring diagram the lighter should be on fuse #3. Perhaps the lighter hot wire is on the wrong terminal of the main light switch and now connected to fuse #4

Attachments

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Bottom line is you have a short ( stray un-wanted ground) in one of the circuits that blows the fuse when power is sent through the fuse. The most common issue will be miss- wiring a switch that is by-passed directly to ground. A common failure is also the return spring in the turn signal switch which becomes a conductor or current to the metal steering wheel shroud.. usually involving a hail of sparks. I think it really is best to explain how you arrived at the problem. Was it during a rewiring exercise or just out of the blue. It usually takes some human activity, no matter how subtle, to create the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Andrew is basically right but the approach should be to check resistance to ground as wires are disconnected one by one from the fuse block #3, and then go down the shorted line, similarly disconnecting.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
go to a part store and ask for a circuit breaker for a fuse box. It comes with two alligator clips. You bridge the circuit and when it pops it auto resets. Saves a lot of fuses!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All was well until I noticed the turn signals were not working. No changes to wiring. The Giulia 1600 wiring diagram shows a 16 Amp fuse; the Veloce manual is silent on fuse size.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
An 8 amp (white) won't blow...unless every power draw under that fuse are all operating at the same time which is very unlikely.. I would disconnect the battery and the black wire to the flasher unit at the flasher. Insert the fuse with the key off and turn signal stalk off then connect the battery key off. If the fuse blows, It is your turn signal flasher or switch .. If it blows when you reconnect the black wire it is probably your turn signal stalk switch has a short to the column.. If the flasher was shorted it would blow the fuse immediately.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

I will try divons 10/24/19 suggestion. Since I did no rewiring and the turn signal stalk is very light in actuating a left or right signal, that may be the problem. Do others with 1600 Giulia spiders have very "soft" actuating turn signals?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
divot....., I will try what you suggested in post #10.

I do know that with the #3 fuse out, no key in ignition, that the lighter works. Everything worked until I was out for a drive and I noticed the turn signals were not working.

I will search on the Alfa BB site for how to repair the turn signal stalk after I try the #10 suggestion. Does anyone have key words for this search?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
An 8 amp (white) won't blow...unless every power draw under that fuse are all operating at the same time which is very unlikely.. I would disconnect the battery and the black wire to the flasher unit at the flasher. Insert the fuse with the key off and turn signal stalk off then connect the battery key off. If the fuse blows, It is your turn signal flasher or switch .. If it blows when you reconnect the black wire it is probably your turn signal stalk switch has a short to the column.. If the flasher was shorted it would blow the fuse immediately.
Let's start from the beginning..The feed from the battery to the fuse goes through the top terminal of the #3 fuse WITH OR WITHOUT a fuse. That means everything connected at that post is HOT all the time. That would be IGNITION SWITCH .... HEADLIGHT SWITCH..... and .LIGHTER.. NONE of these items is FUSE PROTECTED and are only off when you turn a key off (Ign) or don't play with the lighter or head lights, etc. and any short in these will result in fried wires or fried switches or both(Smoke and odor) because the fuse isn't in these circuits to melt instead as a sacrifice. . This is not what you have

Moving to the bottom terminal/post of #3 FUSE.. IF YOU HAVE A BLOWN FUSE OR NO FUSE..the following will be rendered inoperative---TURN SIGNALS ++ WIPERS ++ HEATER BLOWER ++ DASH LIGHTS... ONE OF THESE ACCESSORIES IS THE CULPRIT TO A BLOWN #3 FUSE.. It is very unlikely a SWITCH (including the flasher) is the problem but could technically be grounding out when switched to ON and pop the fuse by a stray wire in the switch touching ground. The switches should not be grounded. The appliance they connect to power are supposed to be grounded, I.e. blower, wipers,dash lights, turn signal lights.

The most likely item is the turn signal switch running afoul. If not it is one of the other appliances .. blower, wipers, or dash switch grounding out when turned ON or the hot wire side is loose where the switch is mounted behind the dash and rubbing on the backside of the dash..

The #3 has a higher rated fuse because of potential DRAW.. Think of your own house.. If you have a 15 AMP circuit that you put a hairdryer, vacuum cleaner , Toaster, Roaster, air compressor and window AC on all at the same time- the CB pops. You over loaded the system. The same is true in your car. The wire gauge and amperage of the fuse is designed to operate EVERYTHING AT THE SAME TIME....lighter, wipers, turn signals , dash lights blower,.. you are perfectly safe to use a 8 amp fuse if you don't over load the system by switching EVERYTHING ON> .. AND IF YOU DO IT BLOWS. BUT NO FUSE WILL PROTECT AGAINST A SHORT CIRCUIT. It will sacrifice itself and blow before your wires melt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Divon....I have tried your actions in post #10 with no success. All wires hooked up and the fan, wipers, dash lights, headlights, running lights, horn work, but no turn signals. I checked the turn signal bulb in the dash and it is OK. I am more confused than normally.

I turned the ignition key on and tried the turn signal stalk to left and right with no results. Is it possible that my problem is a bad turn signal flasher?

:frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now everything is working except for the turn signal light in the dash. I checked that bulb for continity and it was ok. I polished up the bulb shaft and end contact but it did not light up after plugging it into the socket and installing it. I guess I will try another bulb......

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
The power to the bulb is routed through the flasher relay..PS the gage needs to have a good ground .. A pigtail from one of the knurled nuts that hold the gage on to a ground is a good idea, otherwise the bracket against the back of the dash has to do it's job providing a ground. How did you cure the blown fuses?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts