Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a new thread as I refit my boot / trunk.

The bodywork at the rear of the car involved replacing the original boot floor, both rear quarters and the rear panel, so pretty much everything from the rear window back. The spare wheel well is original and refitted as is the rear T-Piece.

I have an Alfaholics 55L FIA foam filled tank that will be centre mounted, and went with the idea of cutting the original tank to re-use only the bottom half in the original location, fitting the Facet Red Top and Filter King regulator in it.

First job was to take a cutting wheel to the tank and remove the top which is waste. Clean up the edges and leave the bottom ready to clean and paint before refitting. I will then fit one of the Alfaholics laser cut tops to fit over the tank and provide a flat (isn) floor that I have a Classic Alfa rubber mat set to cover.

So lots to do, including making up a spare wheel locator as the wheel well does not have one welded to the bottom of it/

First up is cutting the old tank up.

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes lots of 'fun' with the flying sparks from the cutting wheel and then a course sanding disk to remove any nasty edges. It will not be on show so underneath will remain as now (black stone chip type finish) and inside will be enamel paint such as hammerite or POR15. I may even trace my own lid and cut with 'snips' as it doesn't have to be structural, only supporting the rubber floor mat. I also have to decide on how to best arrange the Facet pumps and filter etc.

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex to be totally honest I just got a good deal on one of the tanks and my old tank and inlet was a right old botch job, so decided to swap it out.

As a MSA Rally Car the filler has to be inside the boot so this achieves that, and I guess centralises the weight and leaves the old tank bottom space for the pumps etc.

It also looks nice in there :)

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made good progress today, first fitting the licence plate holder, licence plate and the GTA plinth that I got ready painted from Alfaholics. I managed to get one used Carello rear light unit, and used only the top part and glass; I still need another. Used stainless screws for the plinth.

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next up was fitting the Alfaholics 55L tank and filler. The tank is mounted on rubber cut to size and supplied with the tank. Bolts are M8 steel. The filler pipe attaches to the filler with jubilee clips and the filler is fixed with stainless screws. This allows the spare wheel to fit easily in the well, but that needs a mechanism to hold it tight.

I will need to remove the tank to fit the VDO Dip Tube sender unit, and the bottom half of the old tank to accommodate the Facet Red Top pump and fuel lines - that is the next project.

The car is coming along, with all the left and right trim in place and now the rear lights, licence plate and lights and the TRS towing loop.

I also need to fit a boot / trunk stay rather than the piece of wood :)

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Alex

I don't believe so, as it came as a 'used' item from Alfaholics when I also purchased a 'used' battery holder in Rosso red. I have seen various plinth pictures, with some just being a flat piece of metal with the carello light bolted on top. I am happy it fits and is painted to match - I just need another carrell top with gasket and glass bowl.

Ian

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Looking great Ian!!

Interesting stamping on the plinth - you got a better photo showing that stamped Carello number ? If you have no joy in finding a light I may have a crusty one somewhere needing some love.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pancho

The plinth is stamped 10.560.580 and is by F.Carello & C-S.p.A

I managed to get the Carello from Ebay UK for £5 and have the bottom part that holds the bulb as that part was already integrated in the plinth.

Ian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it is hard to believe how long it is since I last posted on this. I have done a few jobs here and there and considered selling the car or at least getting a 'pro' to finish it. Time arrived at the weekend and with a spare morning at hand I decided to fit the old tank bottom and the facet pump and Alfaholics battery tray.

The old tank bottom fits snugly in the new boot floor, so at least that shape in the new panel is correct.

I have one pump fitted now but may go twin pump for redundancy in future.

I will also fit a screen wash water bottle in the boot as well.

All the fuel hoses (ptfe braided) need fitting and the battery cables, but I shall not leave that job so long.

Finally, I am making a plywood floor so I have a flat a level surface for the Alfa rubber mat to sit on, and I can carry spares etc. in boxes rather than all loose - very much work in progress as the pieces will need to hinge to fit as you cannot remove if it is too snug.

Ian

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wonderful, just wonderful. Crazy thing is, I started reading the thread from your first post and never looked at the dates until your today's post. It might have taken a while, but it came out great!! I imagine it's been very satisfying.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yachtman I have accepted that it is a long road :) Thanks for the comment and I will post more as I get it done, now we have some longer evenings and daylight to work with.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am making more progress and today fitted a new Red Top pump (old one will do as a spare), inline fuel filter and ptfe teflon hoses with AN -6 fittings.

First time making fittings (fuel filter is only barbed push on, as is the tank) and I got everything I need from Torques UK Ebay Shop.

Once you get the hang of masking the line, cutting, olive fitting, flaring and then tightening the collar, you can make good progress. I have now gone from the tank to the rear bulkhead fitting, as the line needs to run through the car for classic rallies. Proof will be in the using, but all joints seem good so far :)

Surprising how little you get done in a day, but I set this as my objective and finished it, so good news. I also managed to fit the Alfaholics rear boot/trunk stay.

Pictures and info on Facebook also - more likely to get updates their if you follow the page - https://www.facebook.com/64SprintGT/

Ian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts