Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told when I bought my 64 Sprint GT that it had been updated to ATE brakes and LSD rear axle. Indeed it has but I wanted to help to i.d. the setup properly, as it also includes a conversion from RHD to LHD and hanging pedals rather than floor mounted pedals.

The brakes work excellently and the LSD works correctly also.

I may be looking to do FIA HTP papers fro the car, which I believe may require me to go back to Dunlop brakes - to be confirmed.

I am not sure how the pedal conversion from floor to hanging has been done but it means the brake actuates directly on to the Bonaldi booster which has a master cylinder in front of it.

There are two pipes leading from this, so is it now twin circuit ?

Anything that you can help to i.d. the various parts I have and the model and year they would be from will help.

Also what would be involved and required to go back to LHD Dunlop setup ?

Thanks in anticipation and apology for the poor photo quality

More photos here :--

1 - Alfa Sprint GT pictures by Highfield_Photos - Photobucket

Ian

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
I was told when I bought my 64 Sprint GT that it had been updated to ATE brakes and LSD rear axle. Indeed it has but I wanted to help to i.d. the setup properly, as it also includes a conversion from RHD to LHD and hanging pedals rather than floor mounted pedals.
Ian:

Not sure I understand your question. Someone evidently took a hanging pedal assembly from a 1971 or newer Alfa, cut a hole in the firewall of your Sprint, and bolted it all together.

I can't say that I'm impressed with the workmanship:

- See the elongated hole on the outboard side of the bracket the clutch master attaches to? That is supposed to attach to a tab on the fender well so the bracket isn't just cantilevered. While a '64 Sprint wouldn't have a factory-installed tab, a simple piece of folded sheetmetal can be fabricated to do the job.

- The rigid brake lines from the center of the differential out to the rear caliper should be routed inside the limit strap - not behind it. Also, it doesn't appear to be tied to the axle tube to prevent fatigue from vibration. Make sure the limit strap isn't abrading the brake line and that the line isn't wearing against the trailing arm brackets.

- What is that torsion spring hooked onto the throttle rod? I'm guessing that the pivot for the throttle has been relocated to the area where this spring is installed. I'm puzzled why anyone would change the simple, readily-available factory set-up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay - many thanks for that information - keep it coming.

This car was converted for rallying back in 1995, and it still has an MSA Rally Passport, and indeed has ben competing on Endurance Rallies right up until I bought it.

Before I do anything to improve the car I want to understand fully what I have and what needs to be cosmetically updated, improved for safety and longevity and potentially changed out to comply with FIA HTP Homologation.

I am hoping to get over to see Tom Shepherd at GTS Motorsport fairly soon, as he is close to me and has experience of building Appendix K GTA so he will be a good help, but I wanted to start the learning myself.

I am playing catch up here - for the past good number of years I have been rebuilding and making my own mark on Early 911 Porsche, and my knowledge there grew as a result - I am fresh back to Alfa so have lots to learn.

Can anyone recommend any good reading on the Sprint GT / Early Guilia 105 ?

Ian

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Ian, what do you particularly want to know about the Sprint GT? Is it user manual, tech specs or how they handled? I have a fair bit of literature on the early 105s. I might upload some and put it on my website somewhere for you to download

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derek

At the moment I have just Johnny Tiplers GT/GTA book and wanted a workshop manual and good technical reference book.

I found books like the 911 Story by Paul Frere really useful on my 911 and want something similar for the Alfa

I asked about my brake an axle setup as I know they are ATE but I would like to know in more detail what I have and what it would have had as standard if to European LHD spec as an example - a book might tell me.

I want to formulate a clear plan before I start to remove, renovate, replace, upgrade and reassemble and will be using the accumulated knowledge of this board along the way

So can I ask was a LSD an option in 1964 or 1965 or do I have to revert to original axle for FIA spec ?

Ian

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey Ian,

I believe the LSD only came on the gtv2000. So 72-74 here in the US and to 76 in other markets. Someone has added it to your car. From my understanding it is hard (if even possible) to tell the difference from the outside. I am no expert so maybe wait for some others to chime in.

I am really writing to congratulate you on a beautiful car. :D I really like that color combination. I had a hard time picking a color for my car but that blue was high on the list.

I am sure there will be things to sort out as Alfajay pointed out. But don't fret! That's is part of the joy of owning these cars. Personally I am nearly a year into my ownership and I have not even driven it!! I got a basket case and have been building her up to my spec from scratch. Loving every minute of it too.

As far as reading materials go I have found this message board to be the best source of information. From the google search bar type the following: site:alfabb.com {fill in your particular search question here}

That string will tell google to only search within this website for your search item. Its a great way to find stuff here on the BB.

The original owners/shop manuals are good sources of information for torque figures and some procedures for rebuilding big components. Not so go if you need to rebuild the burman box (that though is well documented here on the BB http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires/152689-burman-box-rebuild.html Thanks Rich) or how to replace door seals (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/12317-gtv-door-weatherstripping.html#post99857 Thanks Jim).

For a performance guide book look to The Alfa Romeo DOHC Engine High-Performance Manual by Jim Kartalamakis. He covers much of what has worked over the years.

Enjoy!

Miguel

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
I believe the LSD only came on the gtv2000. So 72-74 here in the US and to 76 in other markets. Someone has added it to your car. From my understanding it is hard (if even possible) to tell the difference from the outside. I am no expert so maybe wait for some others to chime in.
Miguel is correct in that the center sections of all Alfa differentials all look about the same. However, I believe that the later, LSD differentials had sort of a "V" cast into the external ribbing to provide extra strength. These 2 liter differentials were heavier all around - for example the axle shafts are larger.

But the biggest difference between the 1600 and 2000 differentials were the brakes. Here in the US, 1600 105's got Dunlop brakes - the calipers look entirely different between Dunlop and ATE. The Dunlop calipers have an external piston that mounts to a bracket welded on the axle tube. So an Alfa-knowledgable tech inspector could easily determine that a later differential had been installed in Ian's coupe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for the replies.

I believe it most likely that a complete rear axle with a LSD and ATE brakes has been swapped in. The MSA Rally Homologation papers refer to these items and it is looking as though it is homologated at the moment as a 1967 GT Veloce - did the European GT Veloce have a LSD / ATE option ?

At the front it has ATE calipers and therefore from reading most likely different uprights, again from a later car.

At the moment all this is very much a review of the car 'as is' as purchased today.

Please do keep pointing things out that are wrong, bad, not period etc. and they will be addressed in time as the car is treated to a rolling improvement programme.

I have started a separate thread today that has a link to lots of detailed pictures of the underside, as I spent the whole day cleaning under the car. Please do take a look.

Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts