Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI -
I have a '64 Giulia SS.
The interior door handles I have look like this (which I believe is on quite a few '60s cars):

Can anyone send me a picture of the screw that attaches the handle to the door please? and let me know the dimensions and thread size please?
I have tried many different threads and cant get a size fit...the current screws have been "forced" to work by PO, and I fear have damaged the original threaded holes....

Thank you! Any help much appreciated....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think I can help you in a couple of days.

But if you damaged the original thread, maybe the correct screw will not fit.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don’t have an SS, but I am missing what I think are set screws on my 101 Spider handles and winders as well.

After 3 years of sorting out all of my bolts, nuts, washers, and screws of varying finishes I found that even if you get the correct screw size (M4, M5, M6, etc.) the pitch (.08, 1.0, 1.25, 1.50, etc.) of the threads can mess with you leading to one thinking it doesn’t fit.
My local Ace hardware carries two things that really helped me. One was a flat board with a bolt and screw thread scale tool bolted to one of their racks that allows you to test what thread you already have. They should have SAE threads and metric sizes on that thread board. Buy a couple sizes based on the options you think will fit.

They also carry quality taps and dies. Buy the correct tap when you get your screw size answer. It looks from your description that a previous owner may have tried to force something or got the wrong screw pitch in the past. Re-tap those for sure. That’s a very nice looking handle in your Classic photo. The screw must be as ornate and/or possibly chrome? Good luck. It’s an interesting question.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I can help you in a couple of days.

But if you damaged the original thread, maybe the correct screw will not fit.
Thanks Pescara - if you have access to the correct screw, that would be very helpful.
And yes...I dont want to just try a variety of screws because I think the previous owner (or whoever did the work) may well have damaged the thread....

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t have an SS, but I am missing what I think are set screws on my 101 Spider handles and winders as well.

After 3 years of sorting out all of my bolts, nuts, washers, and screws of varying finishes I found that even if you get the correct screw size (M4, M5, M6, etc.) the pitch (.08, 1.0, 1.25, 1.50, etc.) of the threads can mess with you leading to one thinking it doesn’t fit.
My local Ace hardware carries two things that really helped me. One was a flat board with a bolt and screw thread scale tool bolted to one of their racks that allows you to test what thread you already have. They should have SAE threads and metric sizes on that thread board. Buy a couple sizes based on the options you think will fit.

They also carry quality taps and dies. Buy the correct tap when you get your screw size answer. It looks from your description that a previous owner may have tried to force something or got the wrong screw pitch in the past. Re-tap those for sure. That’s a very nice looking handle in your Classic photo. The screw must be as ornate and/or possibly chrome? Good luck. It’s an interesting question.
Agreed on the thread pitch issue....I have a whole range of sizes, for exactly the reason you state, but nothing is going in "easy", so I dont want to mess it up more than it already might be....
Once I know the size, I think Ill do as you suggest, and try and re-tap it....
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's either a M5 or M6 ..5 x 0.8 or 6 x 1 These are pretty universal combinations on Alfas I have worked on and produced from 1957 to 1974.. It's possible it is M4 and that can get tricky between a 0.7 and .075
Hi divotandtralee - thanks - I think its M4 0.7 ....Im going to get an M4 0.75 and see if that works better than the M4 0.7 I have....
Much appreciated....Ill report back when I figure it out

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I highly suspect the 0.7 is right.. The early GT's had that handle and some of the vent window roundish handles should have the corresponding same screw...
Thanks - I think you are correct. There must've been some kind of "stand off" on the screw itself or something....as obviously you need to fill the space around the hole in the handle (the splined hole), as the screw is only M4 dia.....anyway, Im making a short tube to fill that radius....

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Thanks - I think you are correct. There must've been some kind of "stand off" on the screw itself or something....as obviously you need to fill the space around the hole in the handle (the splined hole), as the screw is only M4 dia.....anyway, Im making a short tube to fill that radius....
It's probably all about tapered screw head or flat I suppose.. Try The GT forum .

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did try the GT forum and got some help there....this is what Ive landed on....a large headed m4 0.7 thread screw, washer, and a plastic tube spacer I made to help the gap between the screw and the inside of the door handle hole....

just thought Id share....Im sure people have had sleepless nights worrying about my door handle situation....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Some of these threads are like missing the end of a movie due to rapid eye movement taking over late at night here. Sometimes there are never answers to the original storyline we get caught up in some days. Thank you for the update.
Did you ever get an answer and/or a photo you can share as to the correct original screw and parts other than what worked for you? Or is that how it actually looked?

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Barn101....I’m happy you appreciate me trying to give a suitable ending to this story ! Hoping to help fellow enthusiasts who find themselves with the same issue.

On the GT forum, forumite Alfajay, kindly posted the attached photo.
he described it as a slotted cheesehead screw. I didn’t get the specs on the screw.

For the GT, the handle style (I believe) is the same but there’s clearly a difference in the position (maybe size too) of the arm rest. The arm rest on the GT covers the handle attachment point - so you’d have to remove the arm rest to get to the screw (especially as it’s a slotted head). I haven’t heard back from anyone with the same car as I have....which would definitively answer my original question....maybe someone will still chime in!

Thanks
Roger

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.