Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
Yes indeed. What a great add! Isn't this the way most of us feel about the old Alfa's we look after??? I know I do. I will have owned my Giulia Spider Veloce for 50 years, next month in December!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That's a true beauty.

Too bad nobody kept us that shiny and racy looking for the last 50 years, eh Brother Gordon?

I guess restoration on us would cost more than we're worth!

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
Uncle,
Owned from new. Went from N.J. to Knauz Continental autos, to me ~50 years ago.
Need serial numbers? Patrick Hung, and Chris Boles both have the listing. With me, in early'66, it went directly to AUSCA where it received a GTA drivetrain and Autodelta suspension mods. The only Giulia 1600 Veloce "Ausca Spider"; all others were Duetto's. It was the first of 5.5 originals. Raced for years and then returned to street trim.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Uncle,
Owned from new. Went from N.J. to Knauz Continental autos, to me ~50 years ago.
Need serial numbers? Patrick Hung, and Chris Boles both have the listing. With me, in early'66, it went directly to AUSCA where it received a GTA drivetrain and Autodelta suspension mods. The only Giulia 1600 Veloce "Ausca Spider"; all others were Duetto's. It was the first of 5.5 originals. Raced for years and then returned to street trim.
Gordo, i'm talking about the GT.....in da foist post.

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
Ah.........Now I know!
Tnx Uncle!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
$49500 Euros !!!

God bless this guy....Very ambitious for a car that needs a lot of help...Thank God I didn't sell my 64 GT a few years ago when I was tempted....At best, this car is $30 K.....

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
God bless this guy....Very ambitious for a car that needs a lot of help...Thank God I didn't sell my 64 GT a few years ago when I was tempted....At best, this car is $30 K.....
Don't let my reputation of being bitey, precede this comment, but i think the market on these is so hot you might have lost touch....and yes you had better hold on to yours tight. Happy Thanksgiving! Uncle

PS remember when a nice Montreal was pulling down $35000? Seems like yesterday... It practically was.
These are following right behind

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Don't let my reputation of being bitey, precede this comment, but i think the market on these is so hot you might have lost touch....and yes you had better hold on to yours tight. Happy Thanksgiving! Uncle

PS remember when a nice Montreal was pulling down $35000? Seems like yesterday... It practically was.
These are following right behind
I'm not complaining.....I mean, what makes an anemic air cooled 911 of the same vintage more valuable?....I'm not buying it....The Alfas are far more aesthetically pleasing and far more visceral....I mean heck, the Porsche sounds like a lawnmower at best...Nephew

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The advertising for this car does nothing for me. There was recently a 64 Sprint GT (with some issues) on BaT Auctions that didn't make reserve at $24,500. I drove many miles in my 65 Sprint GT, and a bunch more in my 67 Sprint GTV. I liked the 65 better. Alfa left the cheesy cardboard instrument panel looking like the cheesy cardboard piece that it was, rather than covering it over with wood grain contact paper as they did in the 67, and the ZF steering box was much better than the Burman unit in the 67. I could not detect a difference in performance. Both had terrible understeer. I sure was jealous of the guys with their later cars, with rear sway bars and limited slips. For my money the later 1750 and 2000 GTVs were much better cars. I don't think that any of them stacked up well against the competition of the period. But, this market is all about cute nostalgia, as the ad in this thread shows, and not about functionality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The advertising for this car does nothing for me. There was recently a 64 Sprint GT (with some issues) on BaT Auctions that didn't make reserve at $24,500. I drove many miles in my 65 Sprint GT, and a bunch more in my 67 Sprint GTV. I liked the 65 better. Alfa left the cheesy cardboard instrument panel looking like the cheesy cardboard piece that it was, rather than covering it over with wood grain contact paper as they did in the 67, and the ZF steering box was much better than the Burman unit in the 67. I could not detect a difference in performance. Both had terrible understeer. I sure was jealous of the guys with their later cars, with rear sway bars and limited slips. For my money the later 1750 and 2000 GTVs were much better cars. I don't think that any of them stacked up well against the competition of the period. But, this market is all about cute nostalgia, as the ad in this thread shows, and not about functionality.
The ad was nicely done, but certainly wouldn't sway anyone to buy that car at that price IMO. Having said that, anyone looking to buy such a car is only looking for "cute nostalgia"…that's what the classic car market is all about.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yikes.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Sorry to be the naysayer in this thread, but every so often I gag on the fluff that the old car profiteers churn out. And I take it all in willingly, which bears thought.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to be the naysayer in this thread, but every so often I gag on the fluff that the old car profiteers churn out. And I take it all in willingly, which bears thought.
I agree with you about the ad - to use your own description of the Alfa dash, I find that ad cheesy! But I disagree about the GTV over the GT - the seats are much more comfortable in the Veloce, the engine more responsive & the Ate brakes much better than the Dunlops. Over here the RHD cars only came with Burman steering boxes, but having driven LHD examples with a ZF box I hunk you're probably right, they seem to have less slack at the straight ahead position and are consequently sharper than the Burmans..... I believe in Europe they blew away most of the competition - the offerings at the time from Ford, Rover, MG, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, Mercedes - how many of them had 5 speed boxes, twin cam engines, disc brakes all round?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I agree with you about the ad - to use your own description of the Alfa dash, I find that ad cheesy! But I disagree about the GTV over the GT - the seats are much more comfortable in the Veloce, the engine more responsive & the Ate brakes much better than the Dunlops. Over here the RHD cars only came with Burman steering boxes, but having driven LHD examples with a ZF box I hunk you're probably right, they seem to have less slack at the straight ahead position and are consequently sharper than the Burmans..... I believe in Europe they blew away most of the competition - the offerings at the time from Ford, Rover, MG, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, Mercedes - how many of them had 5 speed boxes, twin cam engines, disc brakes all round?
Just to be clear, I love all Alfa Romeos, and I love them despite their flaws and quirks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts