Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa Romeo Spider | eBay

Not mine. I'm interested in acquiring a 2600, or a 2000, sometime in the next 18 months or so. Please continue to educate me on what I'm looking out for. This seems to be similar condition to one at Fantasy Junction a year or so ago at $40k.

Locally on Craigslist, is a 2000 that comes and goes, with a SBC conversion. In the most recent version of the ad, the seller states: "Car has no
original Alfa parts for those interested only in restoration/resale." 1959 Alfa 2000 Touring Spider

Several of you commented on that car when I asked about it some months ago -- I'm clear that isn't the car/condition I want.

·
Push hard and live
9,595 Posts
Peter,

I'm curious what factors would lead you to choose either a 2000 or 2600 over the other? Are you looking for a ready to go car, or a project? Have you researched the prices over the last few years, and set a target price expectation? Have you driven either type of car?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know enough, just that I LOVE the looks of either. I've seen the two 2600s from the Bay Area at various shows, and for that reason I'd prefer one of those. I say the 2000 only because you recommended it last time I posted on this question (when the modified 2000 was posted on CL some months ago). I haven't made it up to Carson City to check out yours, either. :( I'll see if anyone local would let me drive theirs. To me, it's more about beauty than driving.

I'd like a car I can drive and work on over time. I don't want a basket case, nor can I afford a concourse condition vehicle.

·
Push hard and live
9,595 Posts
They are certainly pretty, and among the best from that era, in my opinion. As I've stated before, I think the 2600 took the concept in the wrong direction, but the current market seems to value the big engine more than the earlier car. Each to his own.

I think you missed the opportunity to buy in at a favorable rate. I recall when very attractive 2000's and 2600's were all less than $30k. Now, running, complete, and clean cars are going to be double that, at least. A 40k 102 or 106 is probably a scam, and I'd be very wary.

Wishing you good luck finding the car you want. Let me know how I can help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Don, for the good thoughts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the one one ebay right now? What's right, what's wrong, what can the untrained observer miss?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I don't know much about the 2600 models, but this looks to be a pretty tired example. The interior looks pretty worn out, and I think that they did a quick respray of the exterior to hide its condition. For example, the door fit is very poor on both sides of the car:

The hood also doesn't fit very well:

Also, there is evidence of rust on the rocker panels, which may signal expensive repairs ahead:

That said, it looks like it has potential but the initial price has to factor in the amount of work that needs to be done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
is there any chance to have a 'modern' Touring Spider - nothing too fanciful but V6 2.5 or 3.0, power steering or perhaps auto transmission? :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cl 2000 sbc

the CL car is in my garage and needs much love to say the least but, will be fun
we layed rubber in the parking lot before tuckin it away its first night
nothin docile about this beast!
cheers

·
Registered
571 Posts
yes, id emailed a bunch of times, guess i got lucky
showed up with cash n a trailer just in case

older guy, lil eccentric, but nice enough and really just wanted it to go to a good home and not get insulted with what it was.

we'll see

1 - 10 of 10 Posts