Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my apologies if this has been posted and answered. I've searched the forum and cannot find an answer. However, my search skills probably leave a lot to be desired. I recently acquired a 62 Giulietta Spider. I'm trying to remove the front bumpers. I can see they are secured to the car with bolts, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to access them. I was able to remove the rear bumper without issue. Any suggestions/instruction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
"Bolts" sounds unfamiliar. The bumper came with bolts that replicate studs ..IOW the bolts (2 each side) were tack welded in place protruding out to allow them to be nutted to a iron flange attached to the car. These were 8 mm ( I think .. maybe 10) and it was common to snap them off with very little torque after 50 years of oxidation of the carbon steel fasteners. It is possible someone tapped the left over welded on fasteners and inserted a bolt from the business side and the head exposed to the back side of the flange as it perhaps is difficult to remove the broken welded on bolt? I can't envision what you are talking about .. Can you post a photo or two? If as you describe as a bolt in the case I describe, it should still be easily accessible.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi specracer77,

I don't know if you still need help for removing the front bumpers. I just had such a bumper in my hands and have made some pictures for you. The front bumper has two welded bolts becoming two studs this way as you can see on the pictures. Those 2 studs pass through a groove of a long support and are fixed on the other side of that support with a mutters. That support itself, the flange as Divotandtralee mentioned, is fixed on the chassis with two bolts. (see a part of the flange fixed on the chassis mount in the last picture)
Both the bolts and mutters are hex 17mm.

Thierry

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi specracer77,

I don't know if you still need help for removing the front bumpers. I just had such a bumper in my hands and have made some pictures for you. The front bumper has two welded bolts becoming two studs this way as you can see on the pictures. Those 2 studs pass through a groove of a long support and are fixed on the other side of that support with a mutters. That support itself, the flange as Divotandtralee mentioned, is fixed on the chassis with two bolts. (see a part of the flange fixed on the chassis mount in the last picture)
Both the bolts and mutters are hex 17mm.

Thierry
Thank you! I was able to get them off. Appreciate you taking the time to help.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Thank you! I was able to get them off. Appreciate you taking the time to help.
Okay, I've looked it up everywhere I can think of, but no luck. What is a "mutter"; low, indistinguishable speech, not withstanding?

Ray

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Ray,
I have to disappoint you, this will not be very exciting, it is just a translation error.
'Mutter' is a German word for 'nut'.
I can't change it anymore, maybe the post is too old. ( or I'm too old ...)
Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Thierry,

No disappointment! You've just increased my German vocabulary by 5%:)

Regarding the bumpers, what is the "bracket-arm thingie" attaching the overrider to the bumper in the third photo?

My bumpers were not on my "64 Giulia Spider when I bought it and I have nothing that even slightly-resembles the thing in question.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
321 Posts
No idea Ray,

I bought the bumpers some months ago on an autojumble for my futur project car that has bumpers in a terminal bad condition. The seller didn’t know the purpose of the brackets either but the price and the condition of the bumpers did please me and I bought them anyway.

My first guess was that the former owner did not like to drill holes in the bumpers for mounting auxiliary lights and therefor welded brackets inside the overriders but due to the direction of the brackets, pointing backwards through the air intakes of the front panel, it is more likely that they served to mount something between front panel and radiator: an oil cooler? an extra ventilator, extra warning horns …?

Maybe they were part of a kind of a bridge behind the Alfa grill for mounting a central rally light as often was done at that time?

This is all I can tell about it but I do notice that the brackets are welded on the overriders really nicely and firmly and that the chrome at the outside of the overrider is perfect without any trace of the welding heat, probably welded before the chroming or rechromed after welding.

It would be great to know if there were other spiders with the same brackets welded inside the overriders . Anyone an idea?

Thierry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Ray,
I have to disappoint you, this will not be very exciting, it is just a translation error.
'Mutter' is a German word for 'nut'.
I can't change it anymore, maybe the post is too old. ( or I'm too old ...)
Thierry
I was still puzzled-I've heard my German relatives use a word that sure sounded like 'mutter', but weren't discussing mechanical things. So I looked it up; mutter is also German for 'mother'. Context is everything, sometimes. Apologies for the tangental thought and Thanks to all who posted useful info on this subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts