Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, are these worth $20 in that shape? If so, looks like another model that was, at one time, affordable but no longer.

By the way, that's a 1963 2600 sprint.

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Wow, are these worth $20 in that shape? If so, looks like another model that was, at one time, affordable but no longer.

By the way, that's a 1963 2600 sprint.
It's funny, whenever you see a 2600 Sprint for sale it is in that condition, or close to it. The Seattle CL ad says the car hasn't run in 25 years - again, about typical. Dunno what it is about these cars, but they don't tend to get restored or driven.

So is this car worth $20K? Maybe. As unrestored 2600 Sprints go, it doesn't look terrible. Like all old Alfas, the amount of rust is the key question. If a buyer can get it running, brakes working, electricals sorted out, ... without too great an investment, he might make money. If it needs an engine rebuild or rust repair, then it won't make economic sense.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Looks "awful" good!

Beatiful red leather interior and no noticeable rust. Only a small dent showing in rear bumper. Looks quite intact, but strange it still has the Italian license plate. Wonderful cars once underway on the road, but no power steering and hard to tool around town. Giugiaro of Bertone designed the body for Alfa as his first commission for the two liter engine (I have the very first one -- AR10205*00019* -- done enough to make the 1961 car shows in Europe starting with Brussels on January 16th -- without paint in engine compartment and with adjusters in front and rear spring height). After first 704 of the 102/2000 engined cars the hood was "scooped" and the radiator mount changed for the 102/2600 engine and maybe 6,500 of those were made. Elegant in every sense, but hard to sell to Americans expecting a hot sports car. It was too heavy and too big. Nice hiway cruiser, however. Prices seem to be going up. Used to buy these cheap.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
My impression, from what I heard decades ago, was that it was a first take on the Giulia Sprint GT design but for the bigger engine. The 4 cyl Sprint GT came slightly later?

More of a highway cruiser GT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like you went to see it, jay? i thought it actually looked pretty good in the pictures, but a 2600 isn't on my list. i have no idea about pricing on these; but if this one isn't rusty, and that seems possible, it would be a reasonable project.
the more i look at it, the more i like it, particularly the rear view. kinda cool. but yeah, more comfy than sporty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For me it's a nostalgia thing. When I was a child, I lived in Tripoli, Libya. Not long before we left, my dad bought a 2600 sprint from a Libyan guy. We had a blast with it; the Libyans would use their oil money to build roads that would go out of town for 20-50 miles straight out in the desert, for no reason other than to spend money. My dad would pile the kids in the back of the Alfa and put his foot down, and we'd scream down the road at 120 MPH for 10 miles, turn around, and do the same thing. My dad couldn't get hold of the PO to exchange money for title, so when we left, he still hadn't paid for it, and we had to leave it at the Tripoli Airport with the keys on the front wheel.

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
...but hard to sell to Americans expecting a hot sports car. It was too heavy and too big
...and too expensive! I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet you could have bought a new Corvette for the price of a 2600 Sprint back in 1963.

fishybusiness said:
i should have been more specific; seattle jay, not capistrano jay
Yea, not me. When I wrote "As unrestored 2600 Sprints go, it doesn't look terrible" I was just commenting on the few photos in the CL ad. Obviously a prospective buyer shouldn't rely on only a few photos, or my casual opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts