Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to reconcile the logic of the 58's two lights per taillight:

The lower light is strictly a brake light. The upper dual filament light is both the 'running light' and turn light.

If correct and the turn light is the one with the lower wattage I fail to see how the flashing light can be seen. The lights aren't installed but connecting both dual filament contacts, there is very, very little difference in intensity from just the one brighter filament. Got that?

Please advise.

Should the contacts be switched, then the running light will be very dim. Or is this just the way it is in that there is 'some' difference when the lower wattage filament is flashing and if the person behind is very observant, there won't be any problems?

It's a shame that the brake light isn't also dual filament in that the running light is fairly dim but better than no light and when the brake light comes on, it is obvious.

Or am I overworking this?

·
Registered
706 Posts
The turn signal filament should be the brighter of the 2.
Same as on the front lamps.
The upper bulb reflects down thru the Lucas lens so you really wouldn't need a 2-filament bulb on the brake lamp.
DB

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveB. Thanks. I'm not doubting you but without either the brake light or turn signal on, the only taillight bulb is the extremely dim smaller filament? I'm guessing the single license plate bulb is almost as bright or brighter.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Standard practice on any car where the lower wattage lamp is the tail lamp
and the brake or turn is brighter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts