Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so we're starting in, bit by bit. The car is a 1958 750D spider, California black plate car, SF Bay Area all its life, off the road since 1975. Original color is Sky Blue, interior black with blue piping. First project: the seats. The seat backs are original, the bottoms had been redone years ago. You can see from the pics that the original color of the piping and tack hiding material can still be seen inside the tack hide `em from the seat backs, as well as inside the piping stitching (not shown, can load a pic or two later). Both match the original paint on the dash.

I had quite a time tracking down piping vinyl close enough to the original paint color and the right texture, but got pretty lucky in an old-growth materials shop in Oakland, thanks to my upholstery guy who knows the learned master / owner. The tack hidem (which covers the back seams) was even tougher. Most of this stuff has been discarded by even the old shops, as obsolete. I was prepared to go with black non-matching stuff (f&$k it!) but Matt Jones at Reoriginals came through for me with correct style stuff, marked "Made in Italy, Alfa Romeo Spider 1st Series." Also found black vinyl to match the original hide grain stuff well.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
powdercoated some Fergats while waiting to pull the seized motor and strip it apart. The car came with a correct non-matching, `57 motor, we found and cleaned up a `58 block with a close serial number to the original. Hope you have a long attention span!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You are starting on the seats...does that mean that the remainder of the car is already restored?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, not remotely. Here's the plan: the car is intact and together, other than the seized motor, with an old silver respray that didnt extend to the engine compartment, trunk or dash. I'm doing a few things that obviously need doing, and that are easy to pull out now (seats and wheels, tracking down some spare parts), then when we're ready, we'll pull the engine, strip out the engine compartment and repaint it, build up a new motor, refurbish ancilliary mechanicals as needed, and see where we are. A full repaint in sky blue will come later, when the cash situation replenishes ;) But anything I do now I want to do right / to last. Thanks for you interest!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Seats look great.Do you have the original carpet? If you do,is it grey or lt. blue with blue border? A picture would be great.Thanks,Phil

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi sorry no original carpets. Has some very deteriorated thin rubber mats instead

·
Registered
213 Posts
Seats look great.Do you have the original carpet? If you do,is it grey or lt. blue with blue border? A picture would be great.Thanks,Phil

Straight 8/2 the seats look great, and thanks for the info :))

Hi all,

I just want to add some additional info on the querry.
My 1958 car had blue carpets with the same lining as the seats and the lining on the cardboard doorpanels.
If aditional pictures are needed from the originals, please let me know and Í will take additional pics, let me know if I can help.
regards,

Jelle

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 58_spyder, great pics for Alphil and the rest of us. I also really like your kitchen chairs!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Starting on the body

Hi all

In case you've ever wondered what a 50+ year old black plate california car looks like when you strip off the paint:

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Straight 8/2 the seats look great, and thanks for the info :))

Hi all,

I just want to add some additional info on the querry.
My 1958 car had blue carpets with the same lining as the seats and the lining on the cardboard doorpanels.
If aditional pictures are needed from the originals, please let me know and Í will take additional pics, let me know if I can help.
regards,

Jelle
Jelle,
where you find/buy the blue carpets?.
Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
new ones made using the original as a template

Hi,

The ones on my kitchentable are the original ones. These were the ones I took to a friends home-decoration shop to find a matching carpet. I went through all their sampling books and found one that had a good match with respect to the texture as well as the color, I then ordered a roll of carpet with them.
I do have the label and invoices for this but I will need to look this up.
The whole lot including the car went to an upholstery shop to have new carpets made. This went all right for the carpets, I was not happy with the curtain behind the seats.
So the carpets in the car are new and handmade for the car which makes sense as no two cars were the same. I guess they had a pile of those at the plant and just as with the other parts, they must have put one in and say no, this is not right, lets try another untill they were happy with the fit.
The lining was also ordered and made for to match the original lining. This has also been used to make the piping for the seats. They can just dye the vinyl nowadays.

Hope that this answers the question for you.

Regards,

Jelle

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leston Wheel and Nardi/Momo adapters

Hi
I'm toying with putting a Les Leston wheel on my `58 spider (I have two, one drilled for nardi, the other for momo). I'm concerned that the adapters available push the wheel too far toward the driver, plus the wheel has a slight dish to it.
Anyone experienced with this?
thanks~

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts