Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend has a '57 Giulietta Normali spider for sale; and sent me pictures. the VIN is appropriate for a '57, of the earliest production; but the taillights are of the type that were used in the second 1/2 of 1959, on the 101 series Giuliettas.

Would this have been a '57?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
As you say, the style of the taillights is definitely not that of a '57 car... Also, those round lights underneath the taillights are not original either... Otherwise, it does look like a '57. Where is the car advertised? Are there more pictures?

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The car is most definitely a 750 series spider. The lack of vent windows and the rear bumper license plate light are among the clues. The tail lights themselves are correct for a 750 spider sold in Europe. In the US, we got the Lucas oval shaped lights, but not in Europe (at least for the most part). The later 101 tail lights are much larger than those in this picture. I think what is confusing you are the round reflectors beneath the lights. I don't believe these were found on 750's on either continent.

Erik

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Erik is spot-on with his observations, the European (Home built) cars got the conventional lights, as did all of us in the rest of the world - only the cars built for destination to the USA got those Lucas "football" shaped lights.

This car might have been brought in by en Ex-Service man - check the instruments, they should be in Italian (or possibly English) & in KPH rather than MPH - although this is an easy swap.

The reflectors are correct for the European specification build '59 / '60 Interim Spiders. The USA cars with oval Lucas "football" lights did not use them.

The Factory Archives, Archivio Storico, can tell you the date of build, original colour & first destination.

Ciao
Greig
3 x 750 Sprints with those lights
2 x '60 Interim Spiders with those lights
2 x 101 Sprints with the bigger lights

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Regarding the round reflectors below the taillights, I've seen several late-50's Spiders with these reflectors, and have a few books showing the same reflectors (for sure on "second series" Euro versions). One photo of a '55 Spider does not show the reflectors, but they are on late-50's cars. And the housings are chromed, as on your car. By the way, a similar (but definitely not identical) housing / reflector was used on the Sprints, but the housings were painted with the body color.
Jim

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I thought that European Spiders had the two number plate lights rather than the single recessed job! Or is this another myth.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I thought that European Spiders had the two number plate lights rather than the single recessed job! Or is this another myth.
Stuart,
Checking a few different pictures I have, I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer or not or the '57 cars. I have a photo of a very early car with the flat / recessed light, and a late '50's Euro car with the two half moon lights (like the later Giulias). I know that the factory mixed and matched the parts in the transition years ('59 - '60, or so), so anything was possible then. But for the slightly earlier cars, I don't know if there was a hard and fast rule.
Jim

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thank God someone else doesn't know. Mine is a '56 car with the Lucas rear lights and the recessed number late light. Whats going on?

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Spider Refectors

OK, I amend my earlier statement of "The reflectors look similar to the ones on the later Sprints, however these things were used on different cars over the years & could have been adapted to this Spider."

These reflectors were used on the later European spec Spiders - I was confused as my June '60 Spider does not have them, but upon checking, my Dad's Feb '60 Spider does have them, as do the other '60's I've posted. I can only conclude that mine were removed by a previous owner.

I did a bit of research & it appears they are correct for the later Euro spec Interim cars, '59 to '60, but the early 750 Spiders did not have them. The '61 Spiders had the larger lights.

I can't find pictures of USA Spec cars with those oval Lucas football lights & these reflectors - It appears to have been a Home market requirement only.

Regards
Greig

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts