Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i am helping someone to find out some things about restoring a 57 giulietta spider normale from 1957 with number in the 01600 range (march 1957 sold in Italy).

he is restoring it for a customer. he is not into Alfa's very much.

question 1:
rear bumper with one light or 2 (see pictures)
i think with 1 light (with 2 is from 1958 and younger?)

question 2:
rear lights the same as on picture 1 or are there more choices for a 57 spider?

question 3:
rear axe: did they made more rear axes? the one under the giulietta has 9/41 but i have another one and thats a little different than that one. mine has also 1365 written on it and the other one not.

question 4:
reflectors under the light: belonging there or not? i thought later models only?

thanks so far.
will place some more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
57 giulietta spider

here are some more pics

this early spider had the reflectors on the back, bigger rear lights and rear bumper with 2 lights. the also convert the rear axe with newer brakes and front suspension too. see pictures. also the picture from other axe i told about.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'57 giulietta spider

some more pics

if there are things not original to a 57 giulietta spider, let me know.

thanks,
john

bolts on right side from those pictures (2nd and 3rd picture) are not the same but both for a giulietta normale?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
The best reference is a parts manual. CarDisc International Ltd. - Alfa Romeo Manuals, Giulietta Manuals, Giulia Manuals, GTV Manuals, Spider Manuals, American Austin & American Bantam offers it in a computer friendly form for anyone who needs that information and it is very complete with other manuals included. The Giulietta manual does an extremely good job of breaking down every component down to the correct nut, bolt, and even washers. It is probably the best part of restoring a Giulietta as most cars don't go into as much detail. It will show differences in 750 cars and later, specifying the break by VIN number. Specifically to your questions it will guide you on the different suspension pieces.
Some quick observations from the pics-- Disc brakes? no.. that was a DIYer mod... bumper light ...yes one... No reflectors .. they are already in the Lucas lens. Amber v. Red ? Either way but Red is more practical and more commonly sourced. I don't believe amber was legal in the US.. I don't know for sure. Rear overriders are backwards.. a common error by past owners.. Goods luck

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ordered some manuals from Cardisc international. hope to have them in a few days.

thanks for the information.

gr john

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I would buy an 750 Alfa parts book and compare your parts to the ones in the book. I restored a 1957 Spider Normale almost forty years ago and drove the car for seventeen years. The front suspension was probably removed from a 101 1600 car and does not look like a 750 front suspension. The front disc brakes were installed in 101 1600 cars. I believe that the European cars used amber rear tail light lens which are not legal in the US. My car had a 4.56 differential.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
57 giulietta spider questions

they are going to place these lights on the giulietta spider from 1957 and the reflector under the lights.
and using the rear bumper with 2 lights on it. and not the bumper with 1 light.

a classic parts shop in Germany told that it was original for those cars!

i have never seen it on early spiders.
also using not the original color. the customer likes it in red. instead of white.

its not what i should do.

thanks,
john

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
The July 58 750 Normale I'm working on, which I used to own, and which is pretty darn unmolested, has the first style, Lucas taillights. It has one rectangular license light, not the two round.

I'm sure someone (Greig) can place exactly when the second series, three-segment Altissimo lights above came into use. My Dec. 58 Normale has Lucas, my Sept 60 Veloce has Altissimo. US got white/red/red, I'd think the rest of the world got white/red/amber.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I restored my 1957 Spider years ago, and the rear tail lights were Lucas. I am restoring a 1956 and 1959 Spiders and both of them have the Lucas rear tail lights.

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
I was just rereading the article in the Giulietta'Letta I wrote about my Sept 60 Veloce, and one of the editors commented that these Altissimo lights marked it as a transition era car. I think that's wrong, at least for US cars. The car is a straightforward 101, trans, engine, serial number, length, vent windows, and I have known various others from the same period, post-transition. I regard these lights as the normal US taillights for 101 cars, and the longer "Giulia" style as just for cars at the end of the Giulietta era, though again, Greig or someone more knowledgeable than me can give more exact info.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My memory may be incorrect on this, but I thought the Lucas rear light assemblies were on 750 series cars destined for the US, while European delivery cars (not many spiders) got the Altissimo.

I didn't look at the pictures carefully, but I did notice that the upper front a-arms are from a later 101 series car. The 750 ones don't have the cross piece connecting the upper a-arm mounts to the chassis.

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
Good point re the Lucas. I am speaking from a US-market-centric perspective and may be all wet re what went on elsewhere.

Is the taillight body opening identical between the three-part Altissimo and Lucas? Seems to me the Lucas light is more curved, the Altissimo more straight, along the vertical part. I have not compared body openings though.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The parts manual more or less answers the question re. early cars (Lucas or Carello) vs. late cars (Altissimo), but does not help with respect to US market vs. Euro. Based on photos I've seen, I would say Carello for early Euro cars, Lucas for US. After some time in 1959, they all got Altissimos, until the big lights for the 101 cars came along. The manual gives the exact chassis number for early vs. late.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hello,

thanks all so far for answers.
i think it is difficult because of European vs US cars.

is it possible for someone to place pictures so we know what is normal for a 750 normale spider and a 101 spider and difference between Euro vs US?

about the rear bumper with 2 lights on it:
-Heinbrand told the customer that it is correct for an european car from 1957.
but all people i ask tell me it is original 1 light as the first picture i place (cue108)

genericwood: can you tell me exactly what part is not correct for a 750 of the front A arms? maybe tell it with a picture?

thanks,
john

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
First pic is Lucas light on my Dec. 58 750 Normale, early transition car with split trans.
Second pics is Altissimo light on my Sept 60 101 Veloce, post-transition.
Fender shape to me looks different; straighter on the later car.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
And here's the third US style, on a Giulia Veloce, introduced on late Giuliettas, after Jan 61 but I'm not sure exactly when.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
hello,

thanks all so far for answers.
i think it is difficult because of European vs US cars.

is it possible for someone to place pictures so we know what is normal for a 750 normale spider and a 101 spider and difference between Euro vs US?

about the rear bumper with 2 lights on it:
-Heinbrand told the customer that it is correct for an european car from 1957.
but all people i ask tell me it is original 1 light as the first picture i place (cue108)

genericwood: can you tell me exactly what part is not correct for a 750 of the front A arms? maybe tell it with a picture?

thanks,
john

John,

I presume Erik refers to the part marked in red, this is not on the 750 models

I enclosed a picture of my car, a 1958.
The rearbumper is with the one light, a hella part, for sure on a 57 spider.
I guess it is important to know if you want to make the car european vs US spec, I believe some other items, eg the license plate bracket/support, the indicator on the front wing etc were all different. I will need to look up my brochures and my parts book (1957).
The Shop manual has good pictures in it as well, you can borrow mine if you want. Let me know if you are in the area and I should be able to help you forward.

regards,

Jelle

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts