Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Alfa gang,

I thought I see what the collective wisdom here can dig out: I am looking for the closest match to the original, stripped seat fabric for early Giuliettas. My car is a April '57 built, VIN 4433.

The problem:
  • I need to reupholster my drivers seat as it got severely damaged in the transport from Italy to LA
  • The interior is 100% stock, never altered. So I am keen on finding the absolute best match
  • Elvezio's two fabrics (Gray/Gray and Blue/Gray) are not that great and too dark.
  • I had the seat bottom upholstered in Italy by an fantastic artisan, who lightened the fabric for a very, very good match
  • I also contacted our friends for the Giuietta registry. Richard Wigley worked with a UK mill (Humphries) to also get a better match. Though it appears that the weight of the fabric is inferior to Elvezio (FYI, that is the same mill that Paul Gregory used for the restoration of his 1955 Sprint)
Does anybody have another creative solution?

Some pics:
  • First two ones of the original fabric in my car (Front seat)
  • A great pic from Richard, showing the Humphries fabric (Left), Elvezio (right) and an original piece out of his car (A 1958 model)

As you see, my fabric seem decidedly lighter with less contrasting stripes.

Thanks,

This is the original fabric before I replaced the bottom due to the tear.

Here you see the original fabric on back rest. The bottom was reupholstered in Italy and the fabric was lightened to match

Here you see the fabric on the rear shelf. Not much fading going on at all

This is Richard's fabric comparison: Left is Humphries, right is Elvezio (Gray/Gray), middle is an original piece out of his car

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you suggesting you plan to patch the damage by replacing only the damaged panels?
Yes. We only replaced the seat bottom before shipping from Italy. Now, the seat bottom and back rest got damaged so I need to replace the entire fabric on the seat (Not the blue vinyl). The car is extremely original throughout so preserving as much as I can is what I will do.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Perhaps you send your "artisan" friend in Italy a sample of what he provided and ask him to make up a number of yards to do the whole car. This looks to me like a case of patching Levi's.. The patches out live the rest of them and then more patches are not far behind. I'm not suggesting you go Versace...I am suggesting it might be time to do the whole number without the fear of imposing a weight limit on anyone sitting in them.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of the upholstery is actually in very fine fettle, save from some staining. The passenger seat is very nice. So, no, I do not think that time has come yet. Preservation is the game.

I do have other fabric snippets from Antonello that we are exploring. He cannot do my seat(I wanted to send it back). But I did get some of the source material that we could use to lighten it up. I think he used Elvezio as a basis so I do have that as well. Certainly a possibility and I am working with a fantastic upholsterer that is willing to experiment for a match.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
what about richards fabric and some weak bleach and put it out in the sun, you could test a small section.

·
Registered
281 Posts
@mbaum,
The fabric on your seats appears very similar to what I have on the seats from my 58 SVC, I haven’t seen similar fabric on offer from Elvizio or others. I would suggest reaching out to Trinchero whom I believe were OEM suppliers to AR in the 50’s , they list some Giulietta fabrics not offered by others, possibly they could send you samples.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@VeloceSA - Thanks for this. I will definitely try them. They seem to have the different colors (Including a "Beige" Stripe Giulietta fabric. No pic though). Thank you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I’d send Trinchero a sample of yours since photos online rarely prove to be accurate depictions depending on the light source when taken. They sound like a great vendor tip and their eyes on it should steer you better in one shot than back and forth samples. Good idea to order enough for everything in your car just like it, preserving your blue vinyl.

I agree with the above view regarding patching. It’s most likely a time bomb of denial. The rest may be more age-dried and not far behind your damaged seat than you may think. We’ve all had our favorite shirt or other give out one day in the same manner. Moisture and heat over decades lay within those threads waiting to give way with a little weight or movement. I’ve had many an old, pretty seat fabric still look great only to crumble away in my hands with little effort.

I had many of my original factory pieces in great shape too. I romanticized about reusing them, some I actually did, but they’re 90% saved in a box and in photos…my interior smells much better for it. Does anyone get points for factory originality brought to a concours in a box? 🤔

Good luck, this will be fun to follow while you hunt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts