Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our 1967 Spider from Rambo Motors in Portland Oregon in early February 1970. Since then it had seen 3 paint changes,
4 convertible tops, numerous tire and wheel combinations. Started out as a daily driver/work car, so it was used in all weather conditions
including snow. I even used snow chains one year. We used it often for vacation trips and it has made numerous trips to Monterey and Vancouver BC. 1995 we drove it to Denver and in 2008 to Chicago with return via Canada Hwy 1. Here are some photos past and present:
1970-1982. 1995-2012
1982-1995
2012-present
lightly modified 1750cc

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ironically the original color was white! As near as I can figure, the Spider was built in mid 1966, so it would have been 3 years old when I bought it. Of course this would raise all kinds of red flags in today's market, but 50 years ago this was not a deal breaker. As a side note I am not sure when or why this was repainted. The repaint was complete, so the engine compartment and trunk were repainted red. Only the dash facia was left white. Unfortunately they failed to seal off the white color before the respray, so whenever it rained or I washed the Spider the white color displayed itself in the form of "white freckles". In the mid to late seventies I had it resprayed in metallic silver which is a non stock color. In 1995 I had the total Spider media blasted and repainted Red.
Cheers, jon

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Congratulations. Your car looks great.
I've seen a Series 1 spider in silver once before. I think it was a 69. I could imagine it looking very nice in that color. Unfortunately, it had spent too much time near the ocean and was a little more rust-colored than silver by the time I came across it.
Any idea how many miles you have on it now?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Congratulations and what a great story!

Car looks great. I like that Silver as well.

I hope one day I can post the same, 50 years of ownership.

Hmmmmmmm..........that will be in 2056 and I will be a young 90!

Now that would be a great post for me :)

Congratulations again and have a great drive.

Vin

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations. Your car looks great.
I've seen a Series 1 spider in silver once before. I think it was a 69. I could imagine it looking very nice in that color. Unfortunately, it had spent too much time near the ocean and was a little more rust-colored than silver by the time I came across it.
Any idea how many miles you have on it now?
I'm not sure on mileage...over 100k but probably closer to 200k. I had a couple times the speedometer cable broke and I drove for a period of time using the tachometer. At one point the speedometer was replaced. In 1995 I had it recalibrated and cleaned and reinstalled.
I really liked the silver color but I gave into the notion of a original Alfa color.
My Spider has never had major issues so there has been reason to do any unnecessary work other than maintenance. The interior seats are untampered. Always garaged.
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I hope to be like you one day!
Looks like the spider has faired you well over the years !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts