Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen this car before, but I have just found the full spec on this little Bertie Rocket

The World's fastest Alfa Romeo Bertone GT. Power-to-weight ratio 625bhp/ton (est). Alfa Romeo steel bodyshell with lightweight outer panels. Welded cage,race suspension,race brakes, 2.0 Alfa 155GTA-type 4-cyl Turbo. Motec engine management, traction control and data logging. Built to current specs in 2000 by Roberto Giordanelli. 11 races. Reliable race ready, very successful, also UK road registered, taxed and tested.

History
Ran very successfully in 1993/4 season with 200bhp Twin Spark motor with many wins and lap records.

Recent Competition History
From last 11 races in current '500bhp'800kg, spec: 7 firsts...2 seconds...2 thirds...zero failures.

Performance Data
Class: modified
Weight: 1760 lbs
Best Time: 1m 41s sec
Track: Brands Hatch GP Circuit
Engine
Engine Builder: Roberto Giordanelli
Manufacturer: Alfa Romeo/Lancia
Type: 4 cyl. turbo. 16 valve
Displacement: 1995cc
Horsepower: [email protected]
Torque: 340 FT LB @4000
Induction: Weber-Marelli with Garrett T3/4 turbo
Heads: alloy, DOHC, 16 valves
Block: iron, modified
Main Caps: stock
Crankshaft: reconditioned
Connecting Rods: checked
Pistons: custom, with total seal rings
Camshaft: colombo bariani works race spec
Valves: 1-piece hardened
Valve Train: late type cam belt design
Clutch: AP triple plate
Pressure Plate: sintered
Flywheel: custom alloy
Exhaust: custom big bore & silenced
Total Time: 10 hrs
Races: 11
dismantled recently, checked, no wear found, re-assembled
Fuel System
Fuel Cell
Manufacturer: ATL
Capacity: 8 gallons
Fuel Pump: twin high pressure
Fuel Type: super unleaded-98 octane
Oil/Water System
Radiator: alloy
Water Rad Location: front
Water Pump: standard
Oil Cooler: large capacity
Oil Cooler Location: rear
Electrical System
Ignition: Bosch (plus gear shift lights)
Alternator: lightweight
Battery: sealed race type
Data Logger: Motec
Computer: Motec fully programmable with rev limiter & traction control

Rear End
Manufacturer: Alfa Romeo
Type: 105 Series
Cooler: no
Ratio: 3.29:1
Case: alloy and steel
Differential: ZF LSD
Races: 20 races
modified pick-up points
Body
Construction: steel shell including roof, f/glass outer panels
Color: red with white nose
Paint: cellulose
Condition: very good with quickfit optional rear spoiler
welded in full cage. flat bottom(alum undertray)
Chassis
Type: monocoque
Builder: Alfa Romeo
Material: steel with alloy boot floor
Finish: painted black
Condition: very good
Front Suspension: double wishbone. leda coil overs, all adjustable
Rear Suspension: live axle, 4-link, leda coil overs, all adjustable
Shocks: leda adjustable--20 races
Brakes: 4 vented discs, 4-pot front
Steering: original/modified
Wheels: 12 3-piece race wheels, 4 rd wheels
Tires: avon slicks & rd tires
Interior
Color/Finish: painted black
Material: 2 sparco race seats
Fire System: hand held
Restraints: 2 sets-sparco
Gauges: rev counter, oil, water, boost
Steering Wheel: 14 inch
Condition: good, with persplex side and rear windows
Spares
Motec software plus download cable
optional quick-fit rear spoiler

£27,000GBP

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
It's a good deal considering how much went into building it. What kind of gearbox does it have? Something like this should have a sequential set up! Does it have a stock Alfa rear end case? This car is illegal in vintage racing here in the US unless you go to the BRIC. It'd definately be fastest Alfa at any AROC event where it'd be welcome with open arms.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It has also been for sale for a long long time. I first stumbled across it about a year ago and by then it had already been up for sale for some time.

Italcarguy's comment about its raceability is probably the crux of the matter since it is not qualified for any raceseries I know about except a few which are completely open and for which it would probably NOT be as competitive as you might think.

This doesn't detract from the utter, drooling, wannahaveability of that car and i sure wouldn't mind having to make do with some demonstration runs if it were parked in my garage for the rest of the time. 27.000 GBP though.... :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Roberto and he is fastidious about detail. This really is a truly awesome car - and road legal over here, and the noise it makes, well.....!!! I would so love to own that and take it to some of the hill-climb events in Italy for example! Well, I can dream can't I?!!! I'm not sure if it is for sale still or not - actually I haven't seen it advertised for a while, but I think, from what I have seen, it hasn't been advertised very heavily at all.
Roberto's also just finished restoring an absolutely beautiful Muira which I saw early this year.
I'm not really jealous!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to make it left hand drive? On the other hand, I wonder what it's like getting used to right hand drive?

·
Registered
494 Posts
italcarguy said:
It's a good deal considering how much went into building it. What kind of gearbox does it have? Something like this should have a sequential set up! Does it have a stock Alfa rear end case? This car is illegal in vintage racing here in the US unless you go to the BRIC. It'd definately be fastest Alfa at any AROC event where it'd be welcome with open arms.
I read an article about this car on "Track and Race Cars". It has the stock Alfa gearbox. Roberto says it can handle the power without problems. I also think it has the alfa rear axle althought the diff should be aftermarket...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jpv, do you remember where you read the article? I'm trying to get as much info as I can on the car so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haha John, I saw that issue on ebay a couple of days ago and picked it up, thanks though. There is another issue, November 2002 about it but it's very minimal about the car and more on Giordanelli.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's what happens when you're both online haha but the reason for my interest in the car is that I'm actually thinking about buying it. And hey John, my Dad has a store at Roosevelt Field. Imagine seeing this monster cruising down Stewart Avenue? I'm sure the Garden City Cops would "love" that. I wonder if the line "My dad is the shoemaker at the mall would still work?

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would love to have that thing too. looks like an animal of a car. the garden city cops would crucify you.nothing works with those guys and i live there! seriously, where would u drive it? if you could get away with it, ocean pkway between jones beach and robert moses would be fun...and the road around the mall late at night, too. but where else? i'd be itching to drive it all the time....and end up in jail!

·
Registered
494 Posts
joeyskates said:
Jpv, do you remember where you read the article? I'm trying to get as much info as I can on the car so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I don't know what month it was. But it's the first issue of the magazine.

Check the website:

www.trcmagazine.com

The car was tested on a track and they were making timed laps. The track was damp and during the shoot session the hit the photografers car... THEY CRASHED IT!
No harm done, just a broken fiberglass fender...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts