Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our scruffy, daily-driven '81 GTV6 keeps on rallying. The latest adventure was last weekend on our friends' 50 Year Storm Rally, which is a blast through the Southern CA desert in fun cars----'80s-90s is the intended theme, but the rules can be bent. I went with a buddy from college in the GTV6, and my girlfriend went with her dad in her '74 Jensen-Healey roadster (with no top or heater). It was a small-ish rally of about 25 cars, with the usual Porsche/BMW contingent, but also some oddballs such as a 1970s Toyota Celica (the engine of which was rebuilt and reinstalled days before the rally start), a 1990 Cadillac Brougham and a 1974 VW Thing Acapulco edition! Non-pretentious was the name of the game!

We started out on Friday morning outside of Palm Springs (at the Cabezon Dinsaurs) and headed straight over the San Jacinto Mountains and through Idyllwild, where we found snow on the side of the road, and only a minor amount of ice and dirt to slide around on. We then hit Hwys 74 and 371 before turning onto 79 and stopping for lunch in Julian.

After lunch we continued to Old Hwy 80 and then 94 towards the overnight stop in Jacumba Hot Springs. Some hooning around on the dirt roads adjacent to the border wall with Mexico ensued (the many US Border Patrol officers we encountered were uninterested). The GTV6 did get stuck/high-sided in the ditch pictured in front of it in the second picture below, but a gentle push was all that was needed to free it. A fun night at the bar of the Jacumba Hot Springs Resort was had.

The second day saw a run up Hwy 78 to Borrego Springs for lunch. This is a cool little artsy town where some retired folks live, and has a great Mexican restaurant (Los Jilberto's). It is also home to a funky gas station Mecca (Mirage Gas Company) with a number of interesting (mostly Rad-era, and mostly dead) cars parked behind, including an Alfa 164, a few Saabs, a Peugeot 504 diesel, a Maserati Biturbo, a Cadillac Allante . . . . and a Jensen-Healey).

The highlight road of the rally was S22/Montezuma Valley Rd hillclimb section back towards Julian/Hwy 79. It was a very smooth road with excellent switchbacks and amazing vistas, and we even encountered two heavily camouflaged C8 Corvettes running with a Porsche 991.2 GT2RS (all wearing Michigan plates) pulled over on the side of that road. We whipped around and parked and I asked the gentlemen in the GT2RS if they were doing a bit of benchmarking. The driver was polite and said "something like that . . . I Like your old Alfa," and they pulled away. I swear the C8s (probably prototypes of the ZR1/hot version) sounded like they had flat-plane crank V8s).

We made our way back to Jacumba Hot Springs for another fun night, and then gradually worked our way back into civilization on Sunday. Both of our cars were flawless over three days, which was great for the only examples of an Italian and a British car in the rally! I strongly encourage all of you to partake in fun road rallies in your fun cars. You will have a great time and make good friends!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. Love reading your stories of people using these cars to good end. Also cool luck to see the Detroit prototypes out there as well.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing that. Love reading your stories of people using these cars to good end. Also cool luck to see the Detroit prototypes out there as well.
Thanks, glad to share. And here is further confirmation of what I thought I heard when the C8 prototype pulled away:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts