Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many comments on changing the gear oil in the 105 and 115 transmissions from using a small hand pump to a oil squirt can. Here's my solution. A 1/2" PVC plumbing elbow Male to female and a 1/2" male to barb. A section (3') of 1/2" ID PVC braided tubing and a small funnel. The elbow is screwed into the fill hole of the trans, The thread pitch of the elbow is very close to the threads in the trans but will not harm the trans thread when screwed in, Next screw the barb in to the female end of the elbow, attach hose to the barb and route hose up to the engine compartment and a funnel and you are good to go. I set the gear oil in the sun for an hour or so, 2 QT will slightly over fill the trans so when you remove the elbow a small amount will drip out, Replace fill plug and hopefully you put the drain plug in before filling with fresh oil. The gear oil went in as fast as I could safely pour it

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Any problems with it breathing/venting while funneling it in?

If so, mayhaps the next step might be the addition of a vent hose so you can pour faster.

Still in all, a decent idea that certainly looks to beat the crap out of laying under there with a bottle and hose or trying to wedge a pump in there.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I had been only threading a clear vinyl tubing down with a funnel in the engine compartment. I like the idea of the fittings to keep things tidy, and I'll be amending my procedure. Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Use a outboard gear oil pump

I used the hand pump for my outboard lower end, bought it at wally world for the same price or less. What's nice about it is that the pump screws right onto the top of the gear oil quarts. Add an extension piece of tubing, stick it in the upper tranny hole and pump away until you complete the fill. Might pump 10-15 times per quart.

artart

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use a outboard gear oil pump

I used the hand pump for my outboard lower end, bought it at wally world for the same price or less. What's nice about it is that the pump screws right onto the top of the gear oil quarts. Add an extension piece of tubing, stick it in the upper tranny hole and pump away until you complete the fill. Might pump 10-15 times per quart.

artart
I used the hand pump for my outboard lower end also. Worked great.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,771 Posts
or you can just remove the shifter from the shift tower,, warm up the oil.. and just pour the oil into the shift tower,,it will flow into the tranny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.