Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIsclaimer-- I don;t drive the 5 speeder nearly enough -- 41K soft miles at present -- and I try to stretch her legs twice a month for at least a 20 miler, both freeway and some up-n-downs -- 95 LS 24V car see sig line below!

Today been 3 weeks since she was active-- fired up and loud tick-tick-tick from the upper end-- pretty loud. Oil Pres was good, and this wasn;t the tick tick we get from the injectors-- let her idle for about 2 min (enough to turn the aux air pump off) and then slowly, in neutral, brought up to 3 K -- held for about 30 seconds, then back to idle--- tick tick is gone at first, but returns after about 30 seconds. Shut down, and wonder whats the dealie-o now?

Come back about 30 min later after one of my honey dos is a honey done. Start up, tick tick still there but softer, and I figure, maybe lifter gone soft, can;t hurt lets go for a drive to the store. Bit aggressive going in lower gears to goose the revs, get to 7K in 2nd (after shes warmed up of course) cause thats as fast as the law allows in these parts (and doing almost 60), get to the store, tick tick is gone. Hmm. Go in, get some barley juice, start up, no noise, (except for squeak squeak described below) drive home, same deal, good OP, water temp 200 on the nose-o, and no tick tick when I get home.

Never heard that in 12+ years of 24V ownership=== Lifter gone soft??

Second noise is the squeak squeak (I love typing that odd but beautiful word) but easy to see the frontmost serp belt idler walking a little bit in and out , easy fix just gotta find the time!

Dontcha just love it -- chickaboom, chickaboom-boom-boom

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,124 Posts
24v has hydraulic lifters, right? Sounds like classic sticky lifter symptoms after a long sit.

You using a good synthetic oil?

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mobi 1

15-50 from new

1 - 3 of 3 Posts