Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this posted in another location so I'm moving it here. Here we go. First thanks for the paint -no paint block input, by the way its no paint for my block. I have not located a 101 5 speed with bellhouse so chime in if you have one that could use a new home. Now I have a clutch dilemma. Can anyone add some guidance on which set up would work the best?
Bill

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have a 105 5 speed transmission that will bolt onto your 1956 engine. I am restoring a 1957 Sprint and install a 105 5 speed onto a 750 engine. I restored a 1959 750 Spider Veloce and used a 101 5 Speed transmission. The difference between the two transmissions is the rear transmission mount. I am going to use either a Marelli or Bosch starter on the 1957 Sprint. The original flywheel and clutch will be used on the 1957 Sprint. The other problem is finding the correct driveshaft because the five speed is longer than the tunnel case transmission. The tunnel needs to be modified because increased height of the 5 speed and the hole needsu to be cut as well. I restored a 1956 Spider and used the original tunnel case transmission with the original engine. I do not think that a 5 speed transmission is a good idea unless you modify the engine like the 1957 Sprint. I will send you a PM.

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Bill the physical sheet metal for a '56 Spider will not accommodate a split case transmission without some fairly large surgery, the original tunnel case transmission is flat with the shifter at box height level and biased over to the driver while the split case (4 or 5 speed) is tall, with the shifter in a raised turret in the center of the box, the sheet metal of the transmission tunnel as well as the lower curve on the firewall is different so cutting is the only way forward.

We've discussed this all before so a thread search should bring it all to light - Is your goal originality or a practicality ?? The tunnel case box is a really sweet box when its right, but the direct 4th and the standard 4.55 rear axle ratio will make it buzzy at freeway speeds, on twisty B roads with lower speeds it's not an issue. As Kuni mentioned, swapping our the box will lead to other consequences including driveshaft length and another gearbox cradle. It was a common mod in the past, but increasingly people are restoring to original. We bought a '57 Spider with a 101 engine & 5 speed, goes very well & yes the sheet metal was cut away. One day I'll re-do the tunnel & I have a '57 Spider engine & tunnel case under the bench for that time.

FWIW the tunnel case box was dropped in September '58 so a '59 750 Spider Veloce would have had a split case 4 speed from new and the sheet metal change to the taller transmission tunnel had already been done

Aye
Greig

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well After further review I am keeping and installing the original 4 speed . I have the original rear with 4:10 gears that was delivered with the car to Hoffmans. Is this a Veloce spec rear end?
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts