Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like some ideas on trany fluids that you guys have used in a 5 speed.
I want something that will protect and allow smoth shifting
Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
In my S I have used Redline D4 ATF, Castrol Dexron III, and currently Amsoil synthetic ATF. None of the fluids have caused any leaks. I have run with the Castrol the longest. I can not say any fluid is better than another because of the short time period each of the different fluids have been in the car. I will stick to synthetics because they have always worked well in the race car.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Honestly, It is so easy to drain the 2 quarts out of the tranny and refill, why not just change it every or every other oil change? Seems like cheap insurance for long life. I have been using Castrol Dexron III and it works fine IMHO.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
In my S I have used Redline D4 ATF, Castrol Dexron III, and currently Amsoil synthetic ATF. None of the fluids have caused any leaks. I have run with the Castrol the longest. I can not say any fluid is better than another because of the short time period each of the different fluids have been in the car. I will stick to synthetics because they have always worked well in the race car.
This one I have to go with the D4. Excellent stuff, even the redline MTL is ok.

Redline, valvolene, castrol is good.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I prefer Redline products for synthetics. I have used them for over 10 years in race cars without any problems. Other so called performance lubricates did not fair so well. The only reason I went with Amsoil this time is that a friend gave me the fluid. Amsoil has been making synthetics since almost the beginning, so they build good products.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will be using Castrol Dexron III on your advise , how much do I need to fill my 5 speed Trany ?
AS ALWAYS THANKS

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I have Redline MTL in my white 164Q and in the wife's spider. So far it is working fine. Even cold shifting there isn't any problems. Dexron III will be as good and should hold up well over time.

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
OK I will be using Castrol Dexron III on your advise , how much do I need to fill my 5 speed Trany ?
AS ALWAYS THANKS
About two (2) quarts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to get Castrol Dexron III trany fluid for both my trany and power steering. All they had was Castrol Dexron VI , it says its compatible with the III. Opintions please

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Must be the latest and greatest so go for it. Nothing stands still anymore does it.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Like Andrew, I've used the Redline D4 ATF and noticed a big improvement in cold shifting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts