Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My apologies to those of you who have seen my other posts, but I am in desperate need of help to get my car back on the road. I have a one off Alfa powered "Special" that is designed to have 5 3/4" headlight buckets recessed into the front fenders so that the chrome bezel sits flush and covers any retaining screws, etc. If any of you have a set that will work for me, or if you can point me in the right direction in finding some, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
It isn't clear whether you are looking for headlight buckets or headlight bezels (or both).

I understand the special is Alfa powered. Does that mean that the headlight buckets (or is it bezels) need to be from an Alfa as well? Did someone design it to accept Alfa parts, were Alfa headlights formerly fitted but are now missing, or do you have an unfinished shell and need to figure out what will work?

This is one of those situations where a photo would help a great deal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfajay,
Unfortunately, it is a bit of a riddle, as I have a black and white picture with headlight/trim rings installed, but as you can see, I don't have those anymore. I purchased the car as a barn find project, and the gentleman who built the car in the '60's is now in his Nineties and can't remember what he used. From what I can tell, they don't necessarily have to be Alfa units, but I don't know what other make of car used that size light. I thought, maybe just relocated the Bugeye headlights to the fenders, but they are too big. I need the entire assembly i.e. buckets, trim rings, etc. etc. The car is cleaned up and close to being back on the road, but this is holding the car up. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Alfa Berlinas have 5 3/4" headlights, but the trim rings are really deep. A GTV is probably similar. Spiders use 7" headlights. See if you can borrow a GTV headlight, try that. Otherwise I would look for other similar roadsters from the same era, MG, etc.

Very cool car! Need more photos!

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Looking at the photo of the car's front end, the headlight area bears some resemblance to a 105-115 series Alfa spider. On those cars, the headlight buckets can be mounted to either the frontside or backside of the headlight circular hole. Three studs, spot-welded to the fender are needed for the backside mounting - I don't know if your car has that provision. But the result looks "cool" and could probably be accomplished with Alfa parts.

Alfa spider headlight buckets are a dime-a-dozen, since the same part was used for 25 years. Yea, a specialized bucket was used in Europe on cars with removable bulb (e.g., not sealed beam) headlights. But the more common, sealed beam, front-mounted bucket fits just fine when mounted from the backside. The only downside is that every 10 years when a bulb burns out, it will take ten minutes longer to change it.

Finding the narrow bezel that works with the back-mounted bucket would be the greater challenge.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Reid you say it was built in '58 - if they are 5 & 3/4 inch then they are the early little lights from a Series I Sprint - good luck in finding a set and you will need deep pockets.
The good news is that the rings are being remade as repro's - check Classic Alfa / Alfaholics / OK Parts / Hein Brand / AFRA etc, etc

Can you post a closer pic of the headlight glass & also one side-ish view of the glass & retaining points

Also the motor number & oh yes..............we want more pictures !!!

Ciao
Greig

Series I & II Sprints
Series I & II Spiders
Series II Ti (hmmm....have a Series I gap here....)

Others

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Reid you say it was built in '58 - if they are 5 & 3/4 inch then they are the early little lights from a Series I Sprint - good luck in finding a set
Oops - Greig is correct. 5-3/4 headlights are smaller than the lights on a spider (which are 7"). Forget what I wrote in post #5.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greig,
Yes the small Sprint lights should work and I would be happy to buy a set from someone here if they know of any. Apparently, Maserati Mistral headlights seem to fit the specs as well. Unfortunately, the lights that are in the car right now won't be able to provide any clues, as they are industrial type spotlights just wired in the holes, no buckets, etc....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts