Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 4C LE #87 for $72,000 in Berkeley, CA dealer mark up was $2900 so came to $74,795 total before tax and license. The first photo shows the info from the dealer, $68,400 base price plus my car had the "Convenience Group" added at $1,800, better speakers, sensor, cruise control, alarm, car cover and tire pressure monitor in addition to the rest of the LE package, plus destination charge rounded up all told to $75k

The way this dealer worked was to maintain a list of people who had made $2500 deposits (I was the first of these deposits which I made in July). When the cars arrived last Wednesday morning they called down the list and called me first, within five minutes or so I called back and my car was reserved for me with a $15k deposit and the second car they received (also red #9) was sold within the hour for the same price as mine.

My reflections on the car having owned it for over 24 hours -- It feels like an Alfa (this is based on my driving a '69 duetto and '74 GTV), it looks like an Alfa when you are in the drivers seat looking out you see just the sides/edge of the red hood, it steers like one and with the upgraded suspension you feel everything under you which makes it seem like you are actually driving a car on a road not a hi tech machine. I know there are computers controlling everything but with the manual steering it is just sensational and fun and very old fashioned feeling combined with this crazy carbon fiber tub?

It's darker red than the photos would seem to reflect and it's louder than you could imagine. The engine noises are quite something, really entertaining and for a total amateur driver such as myself who has never had a day at the track but just loves driving, it's really the perfect car. It's something your neighbors will have to get used to though, it's that loud you'll wake up people coming home late a night.

I'm still breaking in the engine so haven't done anything aggressive in it but I'm sure that time will come. You can't get it out of the natural or all weather modes until you hit a certain mileage the screen/computer won't allow the adjustment and I'm being careful with the engine break in period.

The interior is perfect, seats are firm and very comfortable, I like the stereo it works with my iPhone and blasts plenty loud. Single wiper blade was a surprise as was the little pouch with a lock on it behind the seats? kind of strange little add on seems useless really, it's a leather pouch/cover with a space for storage behind it (maybe the size of a paperback book)

I've loved Alfa's since I was 12 years old and this car to me is a perfect representation of why. Red, fast, fun to drive, quirky, loud and just knock dead gorgeous, looks better in person than in photos the car's wider than you would think and although it looks tiny/small from the side the front view in person is 100% Alfa lines and the rear view makes the car seem quite large.

In the photos of front end you can see the little hole in the front right side grill area for a tow hook which is weird but I guess necessary, not sure where else they could have put it.

It's got an extra scoop/vent on the left side visible in the photos, down low and small, if you look at the vent above the extra vent, that's where the radiator sits you can touch the radiator right through the upper vent so I guess they added the extra lower one for side that specifically since that's where the cooling is happening.

The engine bumps up and down when you're at freeway speeds, it's kind of strange to watch it rattling away back there right behind your head. Doesn't really bump more kind of rattles and shakes a bit like it's mounted on some flexible system that allows for movement, or maybe all engines are like that and I've just never stared at one while driving before.

The rear window view is better than I thought it would be, you can see a fair amount, although it's obstructed and limited.

Next to the engine on either side are grates/metal mesh pieces which are nice looking and interesting thing is they go right through to the engine there is no rain gutter or anything to prevent water from hitting the motor, so not sure what will happen if you drive it in a heavy rain the engines going to get extremely wet and maybe steam up? or maybe they just figured no one is ever going to drive a 4C in the rain so don't worry about it. They are a couple three inches or more wide and go the length of the rear of the hatchback so a considerable amount of water could get in there.

When you open the driver's side door after having let the car sit for a while it makes THE STRANGEST SOUND, when I first heard it my son and I looked at each other like some alien ship was landing in our garage. Very cool, I have no idea what it signifies but some aspect of the engine is warming up or doing some kind of really incredible whooshing, whirling, sound, hard to describe and something you better heeled car buffs probably would recognize, for me it's a mystery for now which I like.

It's hard to get in and out of but once you're settled in the seats there's plenty of room all around. I'm 5"8" and my son is 5'11" and we both were comfortable with a ton of head room. The seats have a height adjustment which requires tools, my car came at the lowest setting of three options and I might take it in to dealer later to raise seat up a bit not sure really.

The leather on the LE edition is quite nice, it's got a suede type surface, forget the name for that kind of material but the photo above shows it, it's not very good looking in the picture but it's super comfortable material, like a nice Italian leather jacket or something refined.

The final photo is me driving the car, soon as I left the dealership I hit the freeway leaving Berkeley and heading into San Francisco across the bay bridge to visit my girlfriend and as I got on the bridge I realized the historical significance of driving a new red Alfa across the new Bay Bridge! it's a really great view through the windshield, the seats sit so low that you barely see the hood and really just catch the sloping sides of the front end.

Sitting in my new 4C driving across the Bay Bridge really couldn't tell whether it was 2014 or 1974, again this car is all Alfa.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey, Congrats on getting your new 4C. I bought 015 on Friday.

I really enjoyed reading your report.

180 miles till break-in is over.

There is a tow hook in the tool kit that threads into the hole in the grill. This is required if you ever track your car.

Speaking of which, we have a track event in January if you want to drive down to So Cal. The So Cal Alfa Club AROSC Home Page does about four track event a year. I'll be tracking mine. We have a beginner Time Trial run group as well as other levels including full race group.

It would be terrific if you could make it. We're offering anybody who enters their new Alfa a discounted (50%) entry fee to their first event with us.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks for a great writeup! :)

You can't get it out of the natural or all weather modes until you hit a certain mileage the screen/computer won't allow the adjustment and I'm being careful with the engine break in period.
It's the same as on the Giulietta. When you hit the pre-programmed mileage (it was around 2000 kms / 1200 miles in mine, but YMMV), you can clearly feel the difference.

When you open the driver's side door after having let the car sit for a while it makes THE STRANGEST SOUND, when I first heard it my son and I looked at each other like some alien ship was landing in our garage. Very cool, I have no idea what it signifies but some aspect of the engine is warming up or doing some kind of really incredible whooshing, whirling, sound, hard to describe and something you better heeled car buffs probably would recognize, for me it's a mystery for now which I like.
The sound is the hydraulic clutch actuator pump in the TCT gear box priming itself. Makes for quicker driveaways. It's a well known sound on Selespeed Alfas :)

Enjoy your 4C! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations ! Super-jealous!

Yes, every car has flexible engine mounts, otherwise the vibrations and movement (from engine torque- and suspension/driveshaft) would be transmitted directly into the chassis, which would not be good.

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
Cruise control? On a 4C? Holy moly! Who'd think?

The tire pressure monitor stuff is required by the Feds, regardless. Does this mean you have to get/pay for the other stuff in order to have the required pressure monitor system? If so, makes for an expensive system. I would suspect the monitoring system is there for all trims as a basic part of the car.

Nice write up and photos.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congratulations to both new owners! I'm very jealous. Saw my first one today; the local dealer got it in last night so I stopped in today to check it out.

There is a tow hook in the tool kit that threads into the hole in the grill. This is required if you ever track your car.
Don't forget this can serve another purpose for those in states that require a front plate. Don't drill into that bumper, get a front license plate holder that mounts to the tow hook receiver. I bought one from US Mill Works for my Golf R. They don't list Alfa on the website but I'll bet they could make one if you called or emailed. Well worth the $100 or so.

Edit: I just read on their website that they are unable to create customs or one-off designs. However, I just ran across this from Dynamic Technology Group:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Very awesome intro to new ownership. I loved the description you gave on the 4C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4C LE Dealer paperwork and display

Here's the detailed list of features of the LE, last upgrade was the "convenience package" also picture of the Alfa display at the dealership, minimalist.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Tire pressure monitor is probably standard. The most important thing in the Conv Pack is the back-up monitor. Now that Have some mileage on mine, I'm finding it's not that hard to back up. It's the rear quarter vision while backing out of parking spot that sucks. There is none.

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
I suppose one could mount of those small aftermarket cameras and displays I've seen in other cars. That would show that corner.

Great pictures, I'm jealous, of course.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow, $400 for a car cover!

Now I am starting to see the Ferrari connection.

I can't understand why they didn't mount a camera in the rear. I thought that was going to be required in the US anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
It's on schedule to be required very soon, to go with the 17 inch TV in the dash. We decided to not buy a car with a TV in the dash, even if it is a Tesla S, which we've ridden in, and loved. I asked the driver if the screen was a distraction, and he said no. However, he kept looking at it and touching it here and there the entire drive. Aha, indeed it is.

Sorry for the rant.

I still like the 4C, and although I won't buy one, would like to drive it. Would probably remind me of my hotrod 67 Downton Engr Austin Cooper S, which with 7.30x10 Super Sport Indy Firestone gumball tires, could out handle anything on the road.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Without taking the comparison too far, the Giulietta also has quite lousy view out the rear window. However, the parking sensors (which I believe are an option on the 4C) are of great help. When you put the car in reverse you get a display like this in the center console, and the various beeps and visual feedback tells you how far you are from any obstacle. The sensors cover a (roughly) 160 degree arc around the rear. I've never felt the need for a camera. You will have to mentally translate distances with both systems, and the sensors are lighter.

When the beeper goes to continous mode, you have 30 cms (a foot) left:

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Without taking the comparison too far, the Giulietta also has quite lousy view out the rear window. However, the parking sensors (which I believe are an option on the 4C) are of great help. When you put the car in reverse you get a display like this in the center console, and the various beeps and visual feedback tells you how far you are from any obstacle. The sensors cover a (roughly) 160 degree arc around the rear. I've never felt the need for a camera. You will have to mentally translate distances with both systems, and the sensors are lighter.

When the beeper goes to continous mode, you have 30 cms (a foot) left:
That is how my 4C is with that display. Frankly, I've never looked at it. The mirrors work well. The beepers work well. I've opened the drivers door and hung out to see a few times. If I unweight the seat she goes into neutral. The biggest problem is the rear 3/4 view. There is none.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts