Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Since Sig. Marchionne seems to have stolen your girlfriend, you should either get over it or ask him to give her back. Right now we're all worse off for it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since Sig. Marchionne seems to have stolen your girlfriend, you should either get over it or ask him to give her back. Right now we're all worse off for it.
No, but I am missing a dog and several sheep…..

OK, point taken.
But mine is that this pretend company that wishes to consider itself an automaker, and hopes to call itself Alfa Romeo USA / Canada, has been using (in every sense) the media for almost a year now, touting the Second Coming. Yet, to date, we still cannot buy or even see a 4C at a dealership on this side of the Atlantic. And none of the other Alfa products are available here either - nor will they be for a very long time.

I can book passage on Virgin Galactic, but I cannot actually go to a car dealership and place an order for this car!

So they might as well be reviewing some of the kit from Star Wars. It's equally relevant over here right now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The editorial staff should have caught that error in the headline you quoted.
"makes" - should read "plans to make", "might make", maybe even go really optimistic and say "will make". But the use of the present tense is a fallacy!
I agree. The verb tense is all wrong. The only they have done so far is a lot of big talk and no action. When they call me and tell me my 4C has arrived, then "makes" or "made" will be correct. When I see a 4C at my local dealer or I see a personally owned 4C driving down the road, then the verb tense will fit "makes". So far, Alfa Romeo has not accomplished "makes".

The article is good and the facts seem correct as I understand the facts. The only fact missing is the fact that it's not in my garage. That missing fact makes me frustrated.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
He's driving a US spec car in the US. I understand US ordered cars are being built for delivery. If they were US$64k one the road here my deposit would have been paid months/years ago. As it stands nobody here knows but it's expected to be at least double that.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, there must be some number of cars this side of the Atlantic, because as many test drives and media items as I've seen, they can't all be driving the same car! :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hmm, there must be some number of cars this side of the Atlantic, because as many test drives and media items as I've seen, they can't all be driving the same car! :D
I've counted FIVE media and event cars running around the US and Canada, all pre-production models, most of which are more Standard Edition than Launch Edition, and all of which carry Michigan manufacturers' plates (except for one which seems to have no plates).

They have been touring media events and outlets, as well as special events and a few select dealerships since last fall (2013). They are not for sale. They are also being used for dealership orientation (service and sales). Basically, so dealers know how to set up the car (the seat adjustment up/down is by dealership and wrench, for instance).

No sales or display models have arrived at dealerships yet, although that is promised "soon" (as it has been since last fall). But indications are that the first 50-100 of the 500 Launch Edition cars destined for North America are made, possibly even on boats or distribution lots here (depending on who's "reliable sources" you choose to believe). Most of the media reports have come from a hand full of events (on in SF, one in Monterey, one in San Diego last weekend, one at Chrysler's Chelsea Proving Grounds in Detroit), but have been released over time, making it look like there are more. And a few cars have been put into the hands of lucky journalists or dealerships across the country for a day or two. Some reports are from the initial N.American launch press conference last fall. Others are from press drives in Italy.

So, short answer is "they are all driving the same (5) car(S)"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts