Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F
20201208_155118_HDR.jpg
ew more finish up shots. Next is my custom exhaust, already galled threads on O2 sensor removing it, who put stainless on stainless....

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,309 Posts
I assume the water pump was replaced as a while you are in there process ...

Seems such a waste to me, but it is commonly done. Manufacturers need to return to making water pumps serviceable for our planets sake
Pete

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
82 Posts
Great work you doing, big job. Looking at your pictures, makes my old 24v V6 belt change like a gentle walk in the park. Why have the door cards (trim) been removed, window problems? or new sounds.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes new water pump, the steel impeller type, removed plastic type. the pump is driven by timing belt so a must due to load on bearings, every 5 years or mi. trigger.
24V in a 164 is a big job also, not sure which I would say takes longer.

·
Administrator
14,309 Posts
Yes new water pump, the steel impeller type, removed plastic type. the pump is driven by timing belt so a must due to load on bearings, every 5 years or mi. trigger.
24V in a 164 is a big job also, not sure which I would say takes longer.
Interesting. They could size the bearings correctly (but yes it is a cost versus service life battle), but I do like the that it is driving by the timing belt

Pete

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
Larry,

The exhaust looks nice, but you know we would have given you a great deal on one of the MF exhausts too.

Do you need the mesh surrounds?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Wow, look at the amount of belt wrap around the camshaft pulleys, shown in image 143631, compared to that on the 2-valve Busso V6 engine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Joe, Yes I might want a set of side grills, I have a plan for the center one. I noticed the on web site you were out of the center exhaust which is what put me on this course, trying to go to Laguna with SoCal club Dec. 30th.

·
Premium Member
16,564 Posts
"compared to that on the 2-valve Busso V6 engine"

Or the 4-valve version, lol. At least in the rest of the world, Alfa fixed that. We in the US never got that later version with the much better wrap, alas.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never seen a wrap failure that the real cause of skipping or such was not an old belt, tensioner or idler bearing problem. I have had many 12 cars,raced 12 and 24V engines and never had a skip.
Someone chime in if they have, but I think it's alot of internet bullsh--.
That said there were tensioner issues on 12v's and the fix( made in Canada tensioner were no good either)caused more headaches. No tension, belt skip of course... 180 degee wrap will skip without tension.
Alfa got rid of the aux shaft due to the fact they were not driving a distributor and why keep to only drive an oil pump, so they went to a chain driven pump, thus changing the belt path.
That's my rant for today, thanks for listening.
Alfa Parts Exchange

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
82 Posts
have never seen a wrap failure that the real cause of skipping or such was not an old belt, tensioner or idler bearing problem.
Yes tend to agree. Have seen quad cam belt on Mitsubishi GTO replaced and come back next day still running, not good. Belt skipped, due to incorrect tensioner set up. Most new belt skips are due to set up, (if you are unfortunate to have happen)
Following tensioning set up most important.

·
Premium Member
16,564 Posts
Sure, I agree that if everything is done exactly right, there is very little worry at all, as was the case of my LS. The worry has been that the person who did the tension setup might not have gotten it correct, and so there is the increased risk of skip, due to the particular design. Even Alfa realized that, thus the redesign.

I had the utmost faith that my LS was always set up correctly by Carlo, so I could run the timing belt for longer than many chose to, with no worries, as long as the belt remained in good condition.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The difference is now days with an engine like the 4C, which is the same as the Giulietta you can service the belt and water pump and forget about until the next service is due. Have not done a 4C but have done plenty of Giulietta and as stated its the same engine. Back in 12V V6 land you would be lucky to get through a full service period without having to attend to the belt in some way or another. The 24V in the 156 ect is ALMOST as good as the Giuletta but sometimes needs re-tensioning. Good thing is if the tension backs off its not as likely to jump as the 12V.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car ran well finally after some code clearing and use at Laguna Seca with AROSC 30th and 31st. After getting comfortable with it and being dead stock with 5 year old original tires, I felt pretty good getting down to a 1.56.1 lap time. Great event low attendance, the club really took a bath I'm sure, wide open track for the brave who showed up.

Alfa Parts Exchange

1 - 20 of 22 Posts