Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD

New member here. I registered for the express purpose of offering these parts to the enthusiast community. These parts have been tucked away in the shop since the 1960s and are thought to be from a 1958 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, but not sure.

The price is $6,500 and does not include shipping/packing. I have attached a few pictures so you can see what is being offered and will be happy to try to answer any questions. I can take additional pictures if there is something specific you would like to see.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I think you could add some credibility to your offer by including a new photo (as you suggested) with a dollar bill or a quarter in a new photo and maybe a location of where you are shipping from. I hope you can appreciate the fact that newby postings of this nature have a history of being scams. This request would at least verify the legitimacy of more current photos and increase the odds you will find a buyer. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you could add some credibility to your offer by including a new photo (as you suggested) with a dollar bill or a quarter in a new photo and maybe a location of where you are shipping from. I hope you can appreciate the fact that newby postings of this nature have a history of being scams. This request would at least verify the legitimacy of more current photos and increase the odds you will find a buyer. Thanks
I have frequented a Porsche forum for years, almost always as a buyer, and certainly understand the concern about scammers...so thank you very much for taking the time to reply and your suggestions.

I live in Winter Haven, FL. I can use PayPal if a buyer will share the fee. I searched for an active Alfa forum so that enthusiasts would have a chance to consider this offer before listing on ebay.

Here are some pictures I just took on my workbench showing a dollar bill and also today's Orlando Sentinel newspaper. I would be happy to answer any questions or provide specific pictures.
Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yep, it's legit :detective:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Too funny Tom!
Welcome 911930, and thanks for posting them here first. Do you know the local Alfa Owners Club Chapter president (Barry)? If not PM me and I will place you in touch with him, you can then make contact with many potential local buyers.
I must say, wow, are 40 DCOE 3 carbs changing hands for this much? I realize the manifold and linkage do add to the value but a typical pair of Weber 40 DCOEs in need of restoration typically sell for hundreds, not thousands, of dollars. If so, then what are a pair of vintage 40 DCOE 2 Webers worth?

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
These are sandcastle DCO carburetors, not the later DCOE carbs. No comparison in rarity or market.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Too funny Tom!
Welcome 911930, and thanks for posting them here first. Do you know the local Alfa Owners Club Chapter president (Barry)? If not PM me and I will place you in touch with him, you can then make contact with many potential local buyers.
I must say, wow, are 40 DCOE 3 carbs changing hands for this much? I realize the manifold and linkage do add to the value but a typical pair of Weber 40 DCOEs in need of restoration typically sell for hundreds, not thousands, of dollars. If so, then what are a pair of vintage 40 DCOE 2 Webers worth?
There 40 DCO3 not 40 DCOE3. Big difference. These are for the giulietta and giulia veloce. They do sell for quite a bit more then the DOCE's.

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
I don't think they were ever fitted to 1600's (Giulias). Within less than 10 years from the Giulietta Veloce introduction, the DCO carbs were being yanked by frustrated owners and replaced by the more modern and tractable 40 DCOE carbs. Among other things, the DCO carbs did not have the starting mechanism of later carbs, so could be difficult to start.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were such a removal.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Weber Dco3's were only used on 750 series Giulietta veloce.
Condition being the important factor, internal components are critical and mostly unavailable. If the acc pumps are stuck or other parts seized or broken it will be difficult to get them working again.
DB

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
I used to restore DCO3's for my customers, but no longer do so due to the TIME required, as Dave points out above. It is easy to get 2-4,000$ of labor into a set of DCO3's just making no longer available parts. With a set like those pictured, one has NO IDEA of what needs to be restored or replaced, until the job is underway. As an example, many DCO3 Webers have worn butterfly bars. I can make oversize bars of brass (as original) or longer lasting stainless steel. I can sleeve bodies to accept original diameter use specific made bars.
The bar manufacture (done correctly) standard or oversize, in brass or stainless, is about $600/ bar. $1200 a pair. Making ONE accelerator pump from scratch is another full days work, about $600.
To complete a concours restoration on ANY pair of DCO3's to make the look and perform as new, WILL BE COSTLY, both in restoration time, and $.
If one pays big money for an unrestored pair, and big money for a correct restoration, I imagine someone will figure out what we ALL KNEW IN 1960, DCO3 Webers in any condition, do not function as well as 40DCOE2's that replaced them.
Back "in-the-day" it was COMMON PRACTICE for 750 owners, street or race, to replace DCO3's with a manifold and a pair of 40DCOE2's. I did many of these conversions myself. All car owners drove away with a BIG smile on their face! Back then, the DCOE2's were $99 each, and the 101 1300 manifold cost me less than that, new.
If one NEEDS 40DCO3's for a show car, not driven, or not driven much, fine. If one wants to USE the car, there is another, more economic way to make the 750 Veloce run well.
This is my opinion from MY experience with these cars and DCO as well as hundreds of DCOE Webers I have restored for my customers to concourse condition in the last 50 years.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I don't think they were ever fitted to 1600's (Giulias).
Verified by Alfa published documentation. The DCO3 was also fitted to the Giulietta Sprint Special and Giulietta Sprint Zagato. All these models were fitted with engine type 1315.
The switch to the 40 DCOE 2 for the above models came with the change to the 00106 and 00120 type engines. The DCOE 2 was also fitted to the 00121 engined Giulia Spider Veloce and Giulia Sprint Speciale.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes, Sorry I included SZ and SS in the generic "giulietta veloce"
description. Should have stated that the Dco3's are for 750 series only, veloce powered cars.
DB

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
There is a price for "correctness". The DCO3's can be restored and will be coveted for the correct car. I've driven mine for many miles without issues.. and just as many smiles. I would argue that in the "old days", as Gordon refers, that swapping out a pair of DCOE's might have been more accepted and a prudent way to get a car on the road when those parts and intakes were pennies and these cars weren't collectors items. It was easy to rationalize given the fact Alfa had "upgraded" the 101 cars to the DCOE hardware which indeed offered a bonus of a choke or primer. I do believe the seller of these recognizes this and will find a buyer.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I never knew that any SS's or SZ's came with 750 engines. I thought that they were all 101s. How many SS's and SZ's had 750 engines from new?

I also thought that the big benefit of the DCOEs was the ball bearing supported throttle shafts, a change the eliminated a lot of the wear issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Condition being the important factor, internal components are critical and mostly unavailable. If the acc pumps are stuck or other parts seized or broken it will be difficult to get them working again.
DB
I should add that the carbs are not seized and do move freely which implies that the accelerator pumps are not frozen. Externally, they appear to be complete but I have not opened one to view the jets or float chamber.

As an aside, I've had a chance to look around the ALFABB since I posted the DCO3s for sale and it seems to be one of the most congenial and knowledgeable car forums I have visited...a credit to those who participate here! I told my wife that maybe I should look for an Alfa to go with carbs but she quickly reminded me that I already have too many cars...

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Hi 911930,
If the linkage is free, that's good. It probably indicates the NLA accelerator pumps are not seized or broken. The common break is the solid brass connecting rod part of the piston. The pumps still may be seized in the body, or worn enough so they do not pump well, but this is an issue for the rebuilder.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
As an aside, I've had a chance to look around the ALFABB since I posted the DCO3s for sale and it seems to be one of the most congenial and knowledgeable car forums I have visited...a credit to those who participate here! I told my wife that maybe I should look for an Alfa to go with carbs but she quickly reminded me that I already have too many cars...
You sir, are an astute individual :whistling: Perhaps you should sell one of your current lesser marques and replace it with an Alfa :thumbup: Anyway, you can hang out here at the cool kids table, even if you don't own one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts