Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine I installed this winter came with dual Webers with air horns, and bug screens for the air horns.

I'm thinking that for more frequent country driving that I might want to switch to filter socks.

Any recommendations - or horror stories?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The engine I installed this winter came with dual Webers with air horns, and bug screens for the air horns.

I'm thinking that for more frequent country driving that I might want to switch to filter socks.

This sounds ridiculous, I used White gym socks trimmed off the material to fit over and used tie wraps, shows the grime and unless it is dust in the extreme cost pennies to replace.... :drool:

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I tried just putting some women's short socklets over the mesh covers on the air horns - but the car ran badly, so the ones I chose must have restricted air flow too much.

I think I'll try the big two-horn foam covers offered by the likes of RamAir, on the theory that one horn is drawing air at a time, so that should be a large filter area (i.e. less restriction) for a single horn to draw air through.

·
Registered
841 Posts

The filters over the trumpets that you have aren't just bug screens, they have filter media inside, a layer sandwiched between 2 layers of gauze mesh. They are the Webcon trumpet filters, and if anything, are almost as good as a Pipercross type filter sock. A frind of mine has triple 40 DCOE's on his Triumph TR6, and has been using them for years, and 000's of miles, with no ill effect. He washes them clean every so often and refits.

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-accessories/car-air-filters-trumpets/weber-webcon-filters/trumpet-gauzes-70mm-ida-dcosp-50-55/

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The filters over the trumpets that you have aren't just bug screens, they have filter media inside...
Huh! That info got me to take a closer look at the installed 'gauzes', and you are correct - there's more to them than just a coarse screen. That reassures me quite a bit...

I'll give them a solvent wash and see what they are filtering out.

Thanks for providing that information - since I didn't originally install them, I mistook them for more like 'backfire arrestors' than filters.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Use the original Alfa airbox with good filter, nothing wrong with that. Even more: probably better than this, this setup has no cold air pickup....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts