Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tested the wiper motor today, but am not satisfied with the parking position,
When I stop the wire the relay still gets some voltage, probably over the motor coils in the Fast circuit.
This keeps the relay at 6V or so and starts oscillating the relay. Next I will add a diode in the Fast circuit as done per Slow circuit to see if this solves the 6V in the Fast circuit.

Anybody knows what the third slip contact in the motor gearbox does?
Outer intermitted race 1 (black 12V+), mid continuous race (brown Park) and third inner is a small contact connected to the housing. It is connecting Park to to ground on a 4mm contact on the inner race when the outer race (12V+) is in the open position?
Any idea why this is?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok got a bit further with this, the small contact on the third inner race is actually a brake system.
When I resolved the creep to park position I blew the fuse when the wipes were on park position though the slow or fast circuit and kept blowing the fuse when trying to start the wiper motor afterwards.

Then I went to the internet and found this topic:

This describes the problem I am facing now, so next step would be to try this scheme or use a single speed motor setup as per original and find a way to park the motor. The difference between slow and fast is actually: slow and less slow anyways....

It seems to be impossible to use the suggested scheme and a simple 3 position switch (On-Off-On) in combination with the brake ground system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok got a bit further with this, the small contact on the third inner race is actually a brake system.
When I resolved the creep to park position I blew the fuse when the wipes were on park position though the slow or fast circuit and kept blowing the fuse when trying to start the wiper motor afterwards.

Then I went to the internet and found this topic:

This describes the problem I am facing now, so next step would be to try this scheme or use a single speed motor setup as per original and find a way to park the motor. The difference between slow and fast is actually: slow and less slow anyways....

It seems to be impossible to use the suggested scheme and a simple 3 position switch (On-Off-On) in combination with the brake ground system.
Oh my.

I haven't owned an Alfa in nearly a decade, but I stumbled across this thread while Googling for something unrelated, and I couldn't resist the urge to read it all the way through as it read a bit lit a horror movie—I was just waiting for someone to try the circuit suggested by the OP, but the whole time I'm thinking "noooooo, don't energize that circuit" because I knew exactly what was going to happen.

Anyway, if you haven't already hacked up your wiring to implement the solution in the other thread, I may be able to help. It's not impossible to do this with a simple 3-position SPDT+off (on-off-on) toggle switch while retaining the braking function—but it requires two relays. I'll resist the urge to try to provide a written description here/now, because I should really be in the garage putting the exhaust back on non-Alfa #3 so that non-Alfa #1 can have its garage space back; let me know if there's actually interest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here you go. Sorry if it's a little hard to read—my cat ran off with my eraser—in hindsight I probably should have just drawn this on the whiteboard next to my desk.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts