Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the above (assuming it is hooked up) always on? Or just on with the dash lights? Yes, I could check the wiring diagram, but...

In this case I'm referring to a (US) '69 Spider with the lighted push button on the right of the radio or cover for the radio.

Biba

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
All vehicles sold in the US from 1968 on have un-key switched 4 way hazard lights. This means the hazards are powered with no other devices on and key out of the ignition.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please refresh my memory. The current '69 Spider came with a non-functional dash switch. The toggle switch for teh 4-way flashers is on the front plate of the heater. The dash switch is pushed in when off. To activate the 4-way flashers one can either flip the toggle switch or press the dash button so that it comes out to start the exterior lights and it's internal light also flashes? This seems terribly wrong, but I can't figure out how else the dash switch works.

Change of subjects: A '68 1600 Spider will be coming into the shop at the end of Summer. Do you have a wiring diagram for it? Obviously I'm in no hurry.

Biba

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Brake Failure Light

On a 69, the red dash button to the right of the radio/blanking plate is only the brake dual-circuit trouble/failure indicator light. You can push it in to check the bulb/circuit. It has nothing to do with the emergency flashers. Only the (black and otherwise unmarked) toggle switch on the heater face plate operates the emergency flashers on a "correct" car. SEE PHOTOS BELOW.

The "brake failure" dash light lights when the left-side (driver US) firewall brake cluster "slider" switch (the top switch on the cluster, not the two brake light switches to both sides) is activated when one part of the brake dual circuits is lower in pressure than the other part (in this case, front vs. back). It also lights when you press it to test the bulb and power supplied. In another fairly recent thread in Brakes there is a discussion of how this cluster thing works. One is shown dissected. (Mine recently failed and I launched an inquiry.)

Happy hunting! Bruce

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Bruce is spot on with brake warning light. Can you post a pic of the lighted pushbutton next to the radio? I'm curious if it is the brake warning light or a later style hazard switch.

Duetto diagram drawn from a 1966 owners manual is on the way.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
69 Brake Trouble Light

Biba said the dash switch flashed when he pushed it, which implied to me that it was the translucent red with black surround brake light test/trouble switch. And, it looks like the power and bulb work as he said it flashed when he pressed it. However, there may be some bizarre flasher switch mod that behaves the same way as this OE switch.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, didn't say that I pushed the button. The light/switch is sitting right next to me. However it has no red push button, so I can't check it. I should remember this but believe some 69's came in without the light/switch and all of the others had a non functioning switch which I just stuck in the hole to fill it.

A friend of mine talked about this switch on his Series II Spider as being a pain in that the button would pop out and start the flashers. That is where I picked that up. It is not shown on the wiring diagram. Also I use a nice drawing (with all controls and gauges marked) of a 1750 European Spider's dash to be sure to get things back where they belong. Of course it is lacking in this switch as well as the 4-way toggle switch.

Truth be, I have another use for the hole and wanted to make sure I'm not removing something important. Current client wants a fairly involved Audio system - modern head unit, iPod connection, CD changer, separate amp, and electric antenna - all to be installed in the trunk. I found a really neat rocker switch which looks very similar to the warning switch light and uses the same size hole as on the dash. It is red and lighted when on. The face of the button is offset so it can be pushed up to turn on. It will be the master switch for all of the audio components. Okay, not quite original equipment, but unless you peek in the trunk, the interior will look pretty original.

Thanks for clairfying what the switch is actually for.

Biba

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
From your 5:08PM post above, "The dash switch is pushed in when off", and "or press the dash button". Nevertheless, I think at this point Osso is way right and a photo of the critter would help if it's not the typical US69 brake trouble light/button. Regards, Bruce

Add: photo of 69SV brake trouble light to right of radio port (center is also test pushbutton and lights red when you push it in, spring loaded). And of the heater face plate emergency flasher (stealth) switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bruce/Jim, I fully accept your designation as to what the switch is (actually 'was' in this case) for. I also accept it isn't necessary, though others might disagree.

Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine.

Here are the on/off versions of the brake tester hole's new use. As mentioned it is a toggle switch which will turn on the entire kit and kabbodle of audio equipment on the shelf in the trunk. Not a bad match, eh?

Biba

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Looks pretty close. Lots of work for the "sounds" on this one.

Biba, did you ever find an OE type rubber gasket for the top opening of your heater box rebuild?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bruce, I found one, sort of, at Highwood in the UK. I'd mentioned it to Chris and he said he'd have a look around. He emailed back some time later saying he'd found one but I'd already received the order from him. By the time I ordered from him again, he'd misplaced it.

As much as I hate rubber foam since it invariably deteriorates, the seal from the top of the heater's air inlet to the underside of the air inlet/drain is pretty critical. I bought several feet of white plastic foam in two thickness' from an automotive upholstery shop which I use here, but it doesn't have as much 'give' as the original rubber piece does.

Biba

1 - 11 of 11 Posts