Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I got my car, a 1600 Junior, but with a 2L engine, it had the 4.55 non-LSD axle. It was fun, but the ratio did seem to short for the motorway and it would go up through the gears like a demented puppy.

When I had a half shaft break, I took the opportunity to upgrade to a 4.1 LSD axle. The LSD is great - no more sitting spinning one wheel at junctions. The longer gearing has changed the character of the car - more grown up, better on the motorway, but still fun on the back rounds. The change even brought the speedometer closer to reality

I can see why some think the 4.3 is the optimum
Exactly why I hunted for a 4.3 to go in my Ti Super Rep. I'd had virtually the same issue in a GT Junior with a 2 litre engine 11 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts
but first things first is to swap the rebuilt motor in and see how she goes.
Agree. 4.1 is great with a strong motor. I think that AR probably put 4.55 into US series 2 Spiders to compensate for the lack of power.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
So as an aside many years ago I had a few 105's around, one of which was an old and tired 1750 Berlina. We called it the Bathtub. One thing led to another, for a while it ended up with a 2-litre engine with 1.3 Junior gearbox and the original 4.3 diff. As many will know the Junior gearbox has a lower (I think .83) 5th rather than the .79 of the larger engined cars. It also ran 195/60 14" tyres which we bought cheaply as 'blems' from a club member who owned a tyre shop and had access to cast offs from the local Dunlop plant. 'Blem' means 'blemish', i.e. 2nd quality but serviceable.

Anyway, I used that car as a tow car for our Junior track car that the gearbox came out of (we called that car the Rocket) and the combination was great. On the open road it would hum along really well with the Junior and tandem trailer on the back, with good mileage and hills were not an issue. Point is, small 'number' differences on paper can have a real impact in the real world.

Sorry for going a little off topic. Seemed related when I started typing :smile2:.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After doing a little mountain run near Malibu yesterday, it became apparent that the 4.10 needs to take a walk... anyone have a good 4.54 laying around?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
After doing a little mountain run near Malibu yesterday, it became apparent that the 4.10 needs to take a walk... anyone have a good 4.54 laying around?
Having spent many an hour driving 2 litre GTV’s around mountain / twisty / hilly roads that sounds to me like your missing a few urgs in the go compartment. A 2 litre engine mit 4:1 should be able to pull up any incline at sea level without complaint.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I would venture to guess there was no real complaint from the 410'ed GTV in the mountains but rather just not the snap to be had from a 454.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having spent many an hour driving 2 litre GTV’s around mountain / twisty / hilly roads that sounds to me like your missing a few urgs in the go compartment. A 2 litre engine mit 4:1 should be able to pull up any incline at sea level without complaint.
Welll maybe, just would appreciate some extra snap. Gigem75 built the motor, it’s fairly strong. Wouldn’t mind a little more power. Not entirely sure how to get there though.

To trade?
Sure

I would venture to guess there was no real complaint from the 410'ed GTV in the mountains but rather just not the snap to be had from a 454.
Yes, it’s ok... just have to drop to first more than i would like in tight uphill hairpins. Not a daily car and not a highway cruiser anymore so a little more snap would be nice? What else could i do to the motor?

When you find one, I'd be interested in buying your 4.10.
Gotta find a 454 and get it in first...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yes, it’s ok... just have to drop to first more than i would like in tight uphill hairpins. Not a daily car and not a highway cruiser anymore so a little more snap would be nice? What else could i do to the motor?
Here's a different suggestion/approach. Fit a close-ratio (GTA ratios) gearbox combined with a 4.56 rear-end. The 4.56 was stock on US Alfas, although its major drawback was that 1st gear, much too short, was annoyingly useless for performance driving. The GTA ratios give a 1st gear with a commendably long 2.54 or so 1st gear which not only solves the short-first-gear problem but gives you a useful gear you can drive to 45mph is you want. 2nd and 3rd are much closer together and do a great job of keeping the engine "on the cam". The combination of a fast 2 liter and a c/r gearbox is transformative and makes any 105 Alfa a much more enjoyable car to drive fast. A c.r box is expensive, however. I suggest you find someone who has one fitted and give it a try. It may be expensive but it will be less money than going for a 200hp Nord build.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a 14-16 diff ratio is my GSGT 2 litre
Its a 3.3 ratio from an Automatic 105
Long legs in every gear and fantasic on the freeways= high speed ,Low RPM

I am commenting about the first post.

Its like having an extra gear,and no problems around city.
When you are in 5th gear with a 4.1,,im in 4th gear with the 3.3,,so its like an extra gear
Uses way less Fuel and fun to drive.

I have a few 105s with 2 litre engines with 3.3,, 4.1,,,4.3 and 4.5 ratios.
I just like the low RPM ,high speed with the 3.3 on the freeways at 110 KPH (70MPH) and above

Remember the first post about freeway driving.

Maybe I have too many 105 with different Diff ratios for different road choices
Love them all.

Just a reminder to myself,,the 105 2 litre with 4.1 LSD does 125 KPH at 4000 RPM
The GSGT 2 litre with the 3.3 ratio does 125 KPH at 3200 RPM by memory

Im happy that Australia got 3 Standard LSD Diff ratios on our 2 litre engined 105s to play with= 3.3,,,4.1 and 4.3
I get 4.5 LSD ratios from American Spiders
Glad we Never got that Spica stuff,,only Weber and Dellorto carbys.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts